Android» Forums » Rules

Subject: Looking for additional rules by Kevin Wilson rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the game author published some modifications to the original rules. Nothing huge, but reportedly making the game better. Where can I find it? There's nothing of the sorts on FFG site or here in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stalin shot Kirov right in the hallway
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Additional rules by Kevin Wilson
You're probably thinking of the optional rules at the end of the FAQ, found here: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Android/faq/an...

Personally, I'd recommend them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dang, i thought something new for Android was released. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You may also be thinking of the "Director's Cut" rules, which are a fan-made modification you can find in the files section of this site.

The name is a little confusing; it has nothing to do with the original creators of the game and is instead a reference to the "Director's Cut" version of Blade Runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
I heard that the game author published some modifications to the original rules. Nothing huge, but reportedly making the game better. Where can I find it? There's nothing of the sorts on FFG site or here in the files section.

May want to change the name of the thread to "looking for".

And the director's cuts version is horribly misnamed and should not be called that. It implies some influence of the people who designed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
schizoferret wrote:

May want to change the name of the thread to "looking for".

And the director's cuts version is horribly misnamed and should not be called that. It implies some influence of the people who designed the game.

Could not agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion, I changed the title. It's not Director's Cut (I've seen it) and these are not the rules at the end of FAQ. What I read was something regarding NA-Moon travel, weakening 'loose your turn' card and something else.

It was a laconic comment, but the poster mentioned it increased his rating of the game by one.

There seems to be a lot of variants, including fan-made ones; which would you recommend? So far I've only read the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Honestly I think the rules as written are fine. You should give them a play or two before you decide what you want to change. If you only ever play using another person's variant, you're giving up control of your experience of the game.

I've never heard of these additional Kevin Wilson rules, but I do like the Getting a Jump on the Case variant where you hand the first player token to anyone you want rather than taking it yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could just play someone else's copy, I'd do that right away. But as it isn't cheap or easy to sell, and there's a great number of negative opinions, I try to get the best feel I can of the game. It's a long game and I'm afraid of putting other players off resulting in it ending on a shelf after half a play, so I'd rather start with the 'best' rules possible, especially as such after-release patches or home rules tend to fix a game considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
schizoferret wrote:
If I could just play someone else's copy, I'd do that right away. But as it isn't cheap or easy to sell, and there's a great number of negative opinions, I try to get the best feel I can of the game. It's a long game and I'm afraid of putting other players off resulting in it ending on a shelf after half a play, so I'd rather start with the 'best' rules possible, especially as such after-release patches or home rules tend to fix a game considerably.

The game doesn't need much fixing. I believe FFG has an errata/FAQ released and that is all you really need.

The biggest problem most people have is they expect it to be clue. You ARE NOT deducing who is guilt at all. You the player are placing the evidence so that your character's hunches are correct.

People seem to not be able to grasp that and complain that the characters are placing evidence. That's not accurate. It's the players who place the evidence and the characters that hunt down leads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't expect it to be clue, that fact is hilighted in every review. FFG isn't known for publishing game playtested to the extreme though, and I'm speaking from the perspective of a fan. The existance of optional variant, and that 'additional rules' I heard mentioned on another site made me inquire about the 'ultimate' set of rules, official or not. Now that I have read the 'Director's Cut', I see that it contains mostly changes to make the game more thematic, not necessarily better (I presume there were reasons the designer made these particular decisions), although some of the smaller changes did sound reasonable.

I'm glad you think the game needs no fixing, although it would be best if someone experienced who looked at all those changes stated that they don't really address a real problem - or that they do and are recommended.

The fan variants are somewhat ot though, I'll look for a more suitable thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Which problems in particular are you looking to fix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, I haven't played the game yet, so I can't say I'm personally looking to fix anything in particular. At the time of the original post, I have read neither rules nor variants, but heard about some 'fixes', which for a FFG game seemed very natural, so I inquired here. Not necessarily about what's the 'best' variant, as it's subjective, but about small mods that balance the game, such as 'Weaker Broadcast Square' or some of the cards mods from the 'Director's Cut'. I don't mind the 'framing' aspect and don't need to make it a deductive game, but this patch, apart from thematic variants, includes modifications of pure mechanical nature, such as the common time track, reducing individual downtime, or major location adjustments, wrapping the board, etc.

I have read a bit the forums here since, and it seems there's a large group thinking no changes are necessary, and don't like the 'DC' especially. If that's your stand please say so, cause at the moment I feel a bit trapped in an antipathy war going on here - maybe I'm paranoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcin, i bought Android about two+ weeks ago and i am so glad i did. The rules in the game and the FAQ at FFG are all you will need to completely enjoy this title. Like you, i was on the fence for awhile and finally said "what the heck" and pulled the trigger.

Android is the most inspired and artistic boardgame i have seen in years, it will never depart my collection, period. Our hobby is becoming overrun with tedious clonegames aimed at an ever growing, mainstream audience. Here is a game that dares to be completely different (and ironically, it's about clones). Android is a flawed masterpiece that has suffered (in the words of another bgg user) a "death by a thousand cuts" at the hands of this website and others like it. It's a shame that absolute drivel like Castle Ravenloft can be "fanboyed" into best sellers and gems like Android are cut down post by post.

It's hard to recommend this game in the same way it's hard to recommend the movie "Apocalypse Now" to a stranger. Android is so far out there on it's own wavelength it's hard to compare to anything. At it's heart, Android is a very cutthroat VP chase. There are three ways to collect VPs... framing your suspect, piecing together the conspiracy or attending to your personal problems as assigned by your plot cards. All five detectives are actually mini-games unto themselves, and must follow differing routes to victory.

Android does not care who commited the murder, just that someone goes down for it. Nobody really cares who's pulling the strings behind it all beyond digging up enough dirt on the "powers that be" to personally profit from it. The detectives are alcoholic PIs, corrupted cops, clones teetering on the edge of madness, money-hungry bounty hunters and an android who hangs out at cemeteries. They each have 12 days to confront their inner demons and close the case... or else.

And you get flying cars, and a space elevator, And karma works in reverse... before you can play good cards for your detective, you have to play even worse ones on your opponent's. In fact, you might even have to resort to assassinating suspects just to make sure yours is the one left to convict. Android isn't a game about dystopia, Android is dystopia. But somehow through all this there are rays of hope, friendship, justice, faith and... a really fast flying sportscar.

If can you hold off until the holiday season, i'm pretty sure we'll see Android back out on FFG's X-Mas Sale for $25+sh... get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for encouragement, I think I'll risk it. It's just that it's so easy to make a decision based on the theme of a game, not the mechanics or gameplay, and be grievously dissapointed later (with Dungeon Lords being a huge offender here). Hell, I'm guilty of liking several games I consider flawed, so I suspect that I will like it anyway. Guessing if I'll be able to talk my friends into playing is another matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works really well with 2 players... and BleachedLizard's variants are modular. You can use them to tweak and adjust the system if you wanted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
It's a shame that absolute drivel like Castle Ravenloft can be "fanboyed" into best sellers and gems like Android are cut down post by post.

Well, I like both.

My beef really with ravenloft (other than being dead tired of fantasy crap... anyone want to join forces with me to make a reallllly good cyberpunk/bladerunner-esque dungeon crawler?!?) and the like is that the quest to eliminate the DM/Overlord role is a good one, but ultimately failed in the game because it did little more than toss one random baddy at you and bombard you with events to make up for it. It is difficult to replicate the plotting of an overlord role I admit. I got some ideas to make for a more reactive AI, a 'smart'er AI, and a mechanism I think could help guide tile placement and event/ai action per requirements of a story.

To the OP: I suggest playing it through once by yourself, faking the other players. and then do so again with the directors cut rules. I personally like both but the directors cut rules were the best for me. Really enjoyed them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong at all with the original rules, though as is often the case with FF the rule book could be organized a bit better.

It will take you a while to get a grasp of the rules, but there is very little with this game that needs any sort of errata or 'fixes'.

I think the "Director's Cut" version sounds interesting, but I've had the game for a few years and played dozens of games and never felt like I wanted to try anything different, because I have yet to get to the point of not wanting to play the game according to the original rules. Maybe someday if I play it enough I might try it, but the original system is great and I'm quite happy with it.

I wouldn't mind an expansion though... maybe some new plots or additional characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Android is the most inspired and artistic boardgame i have seen in years, it will never depart my collection, period.

Great, great post. Sums up my feelings on this one-ofa-kind game. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Cracky wrote:
The detectives are alcoholic PIs, corrupted cops, clones teetering on the edge of madness, money-hungry bounty hunters and an android who hangs out at cemeteries. They each have 12 days to confront their inner demons and close the case... or else.
And you get flying cars, and a space elevator, And karma works in reverse

Indeed. What more do you want?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The main "problem" with Android is that it's so different to anything ever released before that people who buy the game really have no idea what they are actually buying, even after doing some research on BGG (it's too complex for any small review to give a real appreciation on the game in sufficent details).

Buyers are either real happy to have a very different game in their collection that they enjoy, or are not happy with their purchase and are feeling buyer's remorse. It's really a love-hate affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Tanner
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
The main "problem" with Android is that it's so different to anything ever released before that people who buy the game really have no idea what they are actually buying, even after doing some research on BGG (it's too complex for any small review to give a real appreciation on the game in sufficent details).

Buyers are either real happy to have a very different game in their collection that they enjoy, or are not happy with their purchase and are feeling buyer's remorse. It's really a love-hate affair.

I bought it with knowing very little about it, I purchased it on the box shots and theme alone. Absolutely LOVE the game and couldn't be happier with it (except for maybe a small expansion or 2 :-) ). One of my best game purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Blackfaer wrote:

I wouldn't mind an expansion though... maybe some new plots or additional characters...

Thought a full-blown expansion will probably never happen, FFG's print on demand process might result in a small expansion. Here's hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senjak Goldman
msg tools
schizoferret wrote:

I was very happy to find it at the FFG sale for $25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željan Sudeta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Marcin, i bought Android about two+ weeks ago and i am so glad i did. The rules in the game and the FAQ at FFG are all you will need to completely enjoy this title. Like you, i was on the fence for awhile and finally said "what the heck" and pulled the trigger.

Android is the most inspired and artistic boardgame i have seen in years, it will never depart my collection, period. Our hobby is becoming overrun with tedious clonegames aimed at an ever growing, mainstream audience. Here is a game that dares to be completely different (and ironically, it's about clones). Android is a flawed masterpiece that has suffered (in the words of another bgg user) a "death by a thousand cuts" at the hands of this website and others like it. It's a shame that absolute drivel like Castle Ravenloft can be "fanboyed" into best sellers and gems like Android are cut down post by post.

It's hard to recommend this game in the same way it's hard to recommend the movie "Apocalypse Now" to a stranger. Android is so far out there on it's own wavelength it's hard to compare to anything. At it's heart, Android is a very cutthroat VP chase. There are three ways to collect VPs... framing your suspect, piecing together the conspiracy or attending to your personal problems as assigned by your plot cards. All five detectives are actually mini-games unto themselves, and must follow differing routes to victory.

Android does not care who commited the murder, just that someone goes down for it. Nobody really cares who's pulling the strings behind it all beyond digging up enough dirt on the "powers that be" to personally profit from it. The detectives are alcoholic PIs, corrupted cops, clones teetering on the edge of madness, money-hungry bounty hunters and an android who hangs out at cemeteries. They each have 12 days to confront their inner demons and close the case... or else.

And you get flying cars, and a space elevator, And karma works in reverse... before you can play good cards for your detective, you have to play even worse ones on your opponent's. In fact, you might even have to resort to assassinating suspects just to make sure yours is the one left to convict. Android isn't a game about dystopia, Android is dystopia. But somehow through all this there are rays of hope, friendship, justice, faith and... a really fast flying sportscar.

If can you hold off until the holiday season, i'm pretty sure we'll see Android back out on FFG's X-Mas Sale for $25+sh... get it.

Thumbs up...the best post on Android I've seen on BGG. You have said everything there is to be said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cougar_Cro wrote:
[q="Cracky"]*A lot of excellent stuff which I have snipped to condense this post*

The only thing I'd disagree with in the post is the 'framing your suspects' bit. I've always considered this a matter of player taste.

I, as a player, choose where to place my Evidence/Consipracy pieces. I choose to believe that my character is finding evidence. So if I follow up on a Document lead, and pull a piece of Evidence worth -3 and place it on Eve, then my Detective has found a record that Eve was nowhere near the murder an hour before it happened, and it would have been a stretch for her to get there in time (or some other similar reasoning).

If you want to frame someone, that's up to you (works nicely with Louis for example), but it's not necessarily the default setting for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.