Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite get the "ones count double" rule. Can someone explain it.

My assumption: If someone bids "five sixes" then you can bid "three ones" to outbid them and then someone will have to bid either four or more ones or seven or more sixes. Is this correct? Are there any other possible bids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Print out the board here at BGG. It makes bidding much simpler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
I don't quite get the "ones count double" rule. Can someone explain it.

My assumption: If someone bids "five sixes" then you can bid "three ones" to outbid them and then someone will have to bid either four or more ones or seven or more sixes. Is this correct? Are there any other possible bids?

No, not correct. At least according to the most common variation of Liar's Dice. If someone bids 3 wilds, it can be overcalled by six of anything else (even 2's).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An example play:

Format of bid (#dice showing result) X (result shown on die)

Player A: bids 3 x 3
Player B: bids 3 x 5 (raises the quantity of dice bid)
Player C: bids 4 x 5 (raises the dice face-value)
Player A: bids 6 x 2 (raises the quantity of dice bid)
Player B: bids 3 x 1 (converts to a wild by halving the previous bid quantity)

Note: this may not be vaild in all games of Liar's Dice. Some rules differ on how to handle the halving when making a bid on ones. This should always be decided on before hand if not playing with a bidding board. See my example below using the Liar's Dice board from the game page.

Player C: bids 7 x 3 (converting back from a wild bid by doubling the wild bid quantity and adding one)
Player A: LIAR!

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
That's two votes for Emperor
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not that "ones count double" but that ones are wild and count as everything. Thus, a bid a sixes includes all sixes AND ones on all the dice at the table. So the odds are double of just rolling ones themselves. To clear this up, I pasted scrapbook stars (94 cents at WallyWorld) on all my ones and on my homemade board on the blue squares (see below), as in certain versions of the game. Now you bid stars instead of ones only on those bids, and can't bid ones on anything else. Clears things up. My board is here on BGG:

http://www.bggfiles.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=8109

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game board doesn't clear anything up for me.

Can someone explain how to use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice in liar's dice/bluff/call my bluff have 5 numbers and a star. Some versions have 1-5 and a star, others have 2-6 and a star. Star's are wild and count as any number.

So a bid of 3 stars (1/6 probability) has roughly the same odds as a bid of 6 fours (1/3 probability). (since both fours and stars can be used to get to 6)

In the image listed about, the blue spaces are for stars. So a bid of 2 stars is higher than a bid of 3 of a number and lower than a bid of 4 of a number.

There are some versions where the board has N stars above 2*N numbers and other have it below (like the version above).

The game should come with an extra die that is used to keep track of the bids, as the die is moved around the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I figured it out...

The key was realizing that you could REDUCE the value bid, as long as you increased the number of dice bid.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You either: Raise the quantity of dice showing the number, or bid the same quantity of a higher number.

Alternatively, you can bid aces (1's, stars, whatever your dice have). The aces bid must be 1/2 the quantity of the current bid.

If you do not wish to bid aces, but are following a bid of aces, you must bid 2 times the quantity plus 1 of ANY number you wish.

At least that's how Perudo works....which is the same game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:

The key was realizing that you could REDUCE the value bid, as long as you increased the number of dice bid.
Right?

That's right. At least, that's the way we play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You either: Raise the quantity of dice showing the number, or bid the same quantity of a higher number.

You seem to be saying that when you raise the quantity of dice, you must keep the same value. So, you could not raise from three sixes to four fives? Or could you?

This is where my misunderstanding lies...

So in other words, the rule is: you can never reduce the quantity of dice bid, but you CAN reduce the value bid as long as you increase the quantity, with the exception that you can reduce the quantity bid if you bid "ones", but only by half the quantity currently bid (fractions rounded up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So in other words, the rule is: you can never reduce the quantity of dice bid, but you CAN reduce the value bid as long as you increase the quantity, with the exception that you can reduce the quantity bid if you bid "ones", but only by half the quantity currently bid (fractions rounded up).

Yes, you have it. If you increase the quantity # you can then change the face value number down (or up) if desired. Most confusion is caused rounding up or down when you are making ones(wild) bids. This is where the boards help to keep everyone straight.

Now the boards:

Take this board for example:
http://www.bggfiles.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=8221

Player A: bids 3 x 3
The marker starts on the green 3 space covering the die showing the 3

Player B: bids 3 x 5 (raises the quantity of dice bid)
The marker remains on the green three space but moves to the die showing the 5 (forward movement up the pyramid)

Player C: bids 4 x 5 (raises the dice face-value)
The marker moves forward to the green four space and covers the die showing the 5

Player A: bids 6 x 2 (raises the quantity of dice bid)
The marker moves forward on the track to the green 6 space and covers the die showing the 2

Player B: bids 3 x 1 (converts to a wild by halving the previous bid quantity)
Using this board, this is not a valid bid (it may be a valid bid using another board/rules though). As you can see the marker would have to move backward to accomodate this. Some boards/rules place the halved wilds down, some up as seen here. So to make this a valid bid...
Player B: bids 4 x 1
The marker moves forward to the blue 4 space showing the single one die.

Player C: bids 8 x 3 (converting back from a wild bid by doubling)
The marker moves forward on the track to the green 8 space and covers the die showing the 3

So to use the track all you have to satisfy for a valid bid is that the marker is making forward progress on the track. The boards are nice but not necessary. The one thing they do keep straight are bids of one (wild) and the doubled bids that return you to the other faces since the forward progress on the track is easily marked.

Just a side note: Remember when some one calls liar and everone is counting their dice, dice showing the result of one are always counded. The one is a wild and counts for any die 1-6.

I appologize for all the edits, just trying to be as clear as possible.
I hope I've helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.