Aether Captains: Pirates and Traders» Forums » General

Subject: Zeppelin Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I mentioned in another thread, I just printed out a AC : P&T again (on much nicer gloss card stock) and have been replaying the game.

Two intial thoughts in regard to the Zeppelin cards:

1 - Potentially make the Cargo Hold borders another color, the Orange is too close to the Red - or maybe it is my printer - this would also mean changing the boxes from Orange to another color on all the cards. Also seeing the issue with yellow and gold.

2 - Have you ever thought of making the Zeppelin cards only being 1 card, and using a die to track its capacity? (Edit : or using black stones to fill in the unusable areas)

Something like placing a number in the last 4 boxes, then using a d4 (or d6) to track what level it is at?

Like:

Then, based on the number on the die, you can tell the current level of the craft?

You could then even potentially make the Zeppelin cards a bit larger, to better fit the standard gaming glass stones.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Being up all night on storm watch for the job has one advantage - an excess of time without interuption

Something like this :

I am of course making an assumption that the 2nd ship would have a 6 tile fluctuation instead of 4.

Also, if this path is taken, then all the squares could be numbered and a d8 or d10 sits at the top - this could allow for new twists in the game for sections to be rendered totally useless.

As I said, just a thought.

Edit : and I guess the # on the bottom can be removed, or could just be the tile order for "assembling" the Zep.

Edit #2 : and I forgot that the Defense rating changes as well. I'll obviously have to give this more thought at a more reasonable hour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Decided to try something out with the Captain cards too.

Two of the Captains were a little washed out with their backgrounds,the bowler was a little out of control, and I lowered the bonuses on two. Also added the extra Cargo slots on the Captain Card itself.

And is it just me, or does Darius remind anyone else of the Old Spice guy?

..and now I'm riding an aethership, backwards!

Hurricane watch over for this area, so it is time to nap, before I get even more creative ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well done.a good's night work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

I thought about the Defense issue, and came up with this:

You would then spend points on the Defense, just like you would for for Engines, Cargo, Crew or Gunnery. However, you need to adjust the number of points you can spend on your ships from 10 Points to 13 Points, and I'd actualy raise that to 14 to allow for a bit more flexibility.

One modification I would do, is to use circles instead of squares for the defense options.

This option also requires the use of the modified Captain cards - as it eliminates the bonus cargo section. But, if the Zeppelin tiles are made larger, then the squares become smaller, and that balances some of the card realestate issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes that is an interesting idea regarding the numbers for the ship sections. i suppose when i originally designed the game i liked the idea of flipping being akin to building or upgrading the ships, and mixing and match ship sections had a tactile component to it.

your idea certainly makes elegant sense for condensing this down into ship board with all the info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I love about your games, is the tactile aspects to it - such as the dice spinning in Aether Captains.

I was just thinking about how one could go about giving a bit more variation in the ship building process, without needing a ton more cards. Which led to the thought of making the Defense variable as well. This way, if someone wanted to sacrifice defense to carry more cargo, then there is a balance. Likewise, someone can build a much more solid secure vessel, but then have to sacrifice somewhere else.

As I think about it more, if I did use this method, I'd likely use black stones to block off the boxes not in use rahter than a die above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.