Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received Dvonn via mail-order. Although I'm generally happy to have it and look forward to my first play, I have to admit I am already a little disappointed in the game components. The cover photo clearly shows what appears to be a granite slab complete with carved depressions for each stack of thin Dvonn counters. Now for $20 I didn't expect REAL granite but I thought the board might at least be a sturdy polystone. Well buyer beware, the board is a conventional trifold cardboard with art designed to (poorly) resemble carved granite. It's certainly NOT what is depicted on the box. Additionally, the Dvonn pieces are rather thick fleck-sprayed washers. Again NOT what was depicted on the box. All together something I could have made on my own in an hour with an > $5 trip to Home Depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Friesen
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Buyer beware...
Robrob (#10417),

I was disappointed in the board as well. For some reason I thought that it would be smaller and made of wood. But I like the "washers". They look good. I wish they had a more granular texture though.

All said, I certainly would like to see a set made of stone. Although I'd settle for a nice wooden board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hall
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so annoyed that Reiner Knizia's Africa didn't have an Elephat in the box like the one pictured on it. Damn Goldsieber/Rio Grande Games for misleading me. ):-)

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickel Knight
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob (#10417),
I keep looking for hints of sarcasm in Rob's and Jeremy's comments. Sorry I don't see any. I am at a complete loss as to these folks complaints. The components for DVONN are very well done. The game is as visually striking as it is fun to play.

I must admit though my copy of Africa did come with an Elephant. Damn thing s*#t all over the place. Maybe mine was 1st ed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickel (#10532), To explain further; all the available pictures of DVONN (on the box cover, on the Geek, at the various mail-order sites) show a carved polystone/wooden gameboard with many shallow "divots" for the game pieces to sit in. If you examine the cover closely you can clearly see the board is uneven and textured. What you actually get is a conventional smooth cardboard gameboard with a photo-realistic surface photo of a 3-D stone board. That is (unintentionally, I'm sure) misleading. All sarcasm and elephants aside, I purchased the game partly for those quality components. I'm not saying it isn't a well done game. I'm saying the cover presentation was misleading. It is analogous to purchasing a nice shirt and finding the buttons are actually painted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't judge a game by its cover representation, especially when the item its highly stylized. The Gipf games are a case in point, The Dvonn board shows a stone slab over a volcanic crevasse, Zertz has the game rising from a rocky coast, GIPF in the mountain clouds, only Tamsk has something that look like the game (and its the weakest of the 4, soon to be 5). The Components in Dvonn are not out of line with the other games, price or quality wise. GIPF has about the same component mix, Zertz could be though of as only washers and marbles.

I must make a comment that the components in DVONN are well made, the board while only and optical illusion of 3d, is thick cardboard, and folds with out valleys, the "washers" are solid molded plastic with a good feel to them. The game while not wood would look fine on a coffee table. The problem here is there is no picture on the box of what is in the box, so the buyer is just expressing his disappointment. This problem should be fixed all allgame by all publishers! Put a picture of whats inside.

This is a general problem with many abstract games, many you feel like you could make them your self. after all Mutterland & Hex Nut are just nuts and marbles and some rules. But you are buying more than the presentation you are buying the ideas the designer embodied in the game.

Kris Burn made a very good game here, well worth the price of admission. So sorry if you feel you didn't feel you got your monies worth, you still got a good game. On the other hand if getting washers and other bits from the hardware store is what your into, check out Joao Neto's The Deck of Boards site at http://www.di.fc.ul.pt/~jpn/gv/dob.htm . Everything you need to play most of the games on his World of Abstract Games site (one of the site sites on the net)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Friesen
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Loop (#10544),

I will agree whole heartedly with your statement. The cover art was very captivating that I was deluded by the art. I realize, of course, that I won't be getting a wooden board in my DVONN game.

I would also like to reiterate your statement about buying into the designer's ideas. This is very important to me. It is also important for the continuation of our hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Clarke
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shudder to think of the level of Rob's disappointment when he opens his ZERTZ game box only to find it does not contain an ocean/lake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.