Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty amazed with this game. I was an early p500 joiner on this one, and now that I have it and have run through a couple solitaire games, I think it was well worth the wait. The game plays simply and quickly, and offers new ideas into the block game world. It is pretty damned great.

I do have a couple of minor suggestions for the next printing, though.

First of all, make the setup block marks a bit easier to see. Perhaps having the little shapes be white (or another bright, easy to see color) instead of dark gray would help. It would make setup a bit simpler. I've missed a block every time I've setup and then had to dig through the bag again.

The second suggestion is for the reference sheet. Please add a note in the Battles section about being able to deploy leaders for free at the beginning of a battle. I've forgotten that rule multiple times, and it would be nice to have it on the sheet. Also, a note about the Mori block deployment special rule would be beneficial, too.

That's it. I've found no further issues that I can bring up. If I do, I'll post them here so that you can see them, but I don't think I will find anything else to nitpick. The game is glorious. Nice work, folks. And thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same problem with seeing the set-up marks. They're a nice touch but need to be a bit easier to see. A couple even connect to the mon, making them even harder to see.

As for the reference sheet. I always make a couple of copies of ref sheets so I can add any other notes that I know I'll forget.

I love that the Impact track is colored differently every 7 spaces to show you at a glance how many blocks you're gonna lose! Nice touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the suggestion about leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
I simply walk into Mordor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest that the Setup section mentions to put the two disks on the board - since it's part of setting up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
My only small beef: the box does not properly hold the contents. I forget if at some point a switch was made to a mounted map, but the box is too shallow.

2nd Ed need a C&C sized box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:
My only small beef: the box does not properly hold the contents. I forget if at some point a switch was made to a mounted map, but the box is too shallow.

2nd Ed need a C&C sized box.

Then people would complain the box is too big, they're paying for air. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could also fix the typo in the Japanese title in the lower right corner. It should say 関ヶ原の戦い instead of ending in a ひ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
paulus22 wrote:
First of all, make the setup block marks a bit easier to see.

This a great idea for a thread - thanks for starting it.

I totally agree with the idea to make the starting random force placement indicators stand out on the map. I'd suggest a red or pink outline for this.

Here's some other ideas of mine:

1 I always find it hard to locate some blocks in the mix that need to start on the map, as their location shape indicators sometimes get lost by their sticker artwork - especially for the Aquebusiers! Has anyone else experienced this?! I would therefore, also outline these with a red or pink to make them stand out better - and do the same for the shapes on the map. A tip for nor new players: Don't think you're missing pieces if you can't find all the units you need to place on the map at the start (like I did) - just search through the blocks again - if you've labelled all the blocks they are all there

2 To assist locating Castles and Resource Locations once blocks are placed on the map, I do the following:

- At the start of the game I place a yellow or black wooden "House" token next to each Castle on the map, to indicate its starting ownership. As ownership changes, so does the color of the token.

- At the start of the game I also place a yellow or black wooden "Cylinder" token next to each Capital City Resource Location on the map to reflect its starting ownership. All other Resource Locations are left blank (as no-one owns them until moved across later). As these are captured or change hands, I then place the appropriate colored Cylinder next to them.

I find this really helps to reflect at a glance not only where the Castles and Resource Locations are - but also the counting of them to determine who owns their majority. As I mentioned in a post to the review thread, I originally missed a couple of the Castles on the map the first few times!!

Using different shaped tokens for Castles and Resource Locations I feel, works better than using the generic gold and black cubes supplied with the game.

3 To indicate the location where a Battle is taking place, I remove the blocks in question from the map, and place a red glass stone on the battle site. This lets each player deploy their cards and blocks more easily during the fight without the map clutter. At the end of the battle, the glass stone is removed and the appropriate blocks are returned to the map in victory or retreat.

4 To track Impact on the Impact track, I use a yellow and black glass stone - to me these just stand better than the gold and black cubes.

5 To remind what side is moving/fighting during a phase of a turn I place a yellow or black wooden disc next to the Turn Marker. I find this helps if you get up from the game for a break. The Turn Marker shows what phase the turn is in (1st or 2nd), but it can be easy to forget who has taken their turn to move/fight. So by checking the color of the disc next to the turn Marker, players can see who still needs have their go before the next turn starts.

Hey, by way of another tip - did anyone else miss the road up the east coast from Sendai to Yamagata?! whistle I only found it last night and for 6 games now, I've been thinking that the Date Clan could only move west from its starting location! Makes a big difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing to add to the reference sheet: overruns. I totally spaced that rule in ALL of my games so far!

In reference to the box, if it were just 1/2 inch deeper, it would be perfect. But I think it works fine anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
paulus22 wrote:
In reference to the box, if it were just 1/2 inch deeper, it would be perfect. But I think it works fine anyway.

It needs at least another inch. Ideally, I'd be able to store the blocks inside the bags and still have the box close all the way. Now that I think about it, bigger bags might help the situation too (and make it easier to draw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:

I snapped four pictures to show how I fit everything in:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I snapped four pictures to show how I fit everything in:

Do you store it laying flat or standing up on end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeO wrote:
Do you store it laying flat or standing up on end?

Just got it - I'm not storing it yet!

When I do, I'll probably store it flat. It could be stored upright, though, so long as it's in a spot where it stays snugly closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:

Not true. If you lay out all the blocks in a single layer, you can arrange them in such a way as to also fit the two card decks, all of it pretty snugly. My box closes fine.

KillerB wrote:
They could also fix the typo in the Japanese title in the lower right corner. It should say 関ヶ原の戦い instead of ending in a ひ

That's not a typo. 戦ひ is proper Classical Japanese orthography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if I'm going to be able to fit sleeved cards back in the box. May look into getting a couple of tackle boxes for the units and just keep them separate. Really wish we would have gotten a 3" box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
I simply walk into Mordor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just keep the map in the plastic bag it came in and don't put it back in the box. Instead I use Hugo's Amazing Tape to keep it with the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.