Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Can you build Raiders with ship size 1 with the appropriate Raider tech?

2) When you are researching and building do others get to see what you are researching? Can you keep it secret?

thanks

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
warmachine519 wrote:
1) Can you build Raiders with ship size 1 with the appropriate Raider tech?

Yes.

Quote:

2) When you are researching and building do others get to see what you are researching? Can you keep it secret?

No. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't seem right to be able to build raiders with ship yard size of 1. It has a hull strength of 2. Odd. I know what ships I'm building first from now on.

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warmachine519 wrote:
It doesn't seem right to be able to build raiders with ship yard size of 1. It has a hull strength of 2. Odd. I know what ships I'm building first from now on.

Well, you're putting CPs into military instead of economic infrastructure, and those raiders will have to navigate through the dangers of deep space if you're planning to surprise an enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you will pay a 2 mainenance vs 1 for them. Once your opponents know you have them, a couple of Destroyers with Scanners later and you have some high maintenace E-4's on your hands. Raiders are great for what they do, but a cheap early cruiser/battle-cruiser they are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the rungs this large tech tree means is that there won't be a single "perfect" or "unbeatable" strategy. All the tech can be countered and so there's a great "cat and mouse" feel to figuring out what your enemy has and what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that is what I was shooting for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warmachine519 wrote:

You mean ship size technology of 1.

Raiders do not have a restriction of the "Must have Ship Size Technology of N or more to build", so they can be built at Ship Size Tech 1.

(They can be built at ship yard size 1 too )

My personal guess is that the (lack of) restrictions is due to playtest experiences with raider rushes coming a little bit too late and/or weak (if you need to research Ship Size techs in addition to all the other techs you need and want)...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. With too many build restrictions, the tech path becomes much more predictable with people marching up the ship size tree. I did keep it as a variant, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.