Popular Tags: [View All]
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dig the MS pipelines; they don't add a hugely complex element to the game so it's not hard to include them to the base game because you don't have to teach your group a whole new huge set of rules. And they add a great deal in regards to game theme and cost/reward ratio.

My two questions are, firstly, can a MS Pipeline give movement aid to non-compat ships like Miners, Colony Ships and Decoys? I would guess yes, but the player aid says under those ships that they *always* move 1.

Secondly, the rules are clear that an MS Pipeline cannot move itself if it has already aided movement for another ship this turn. However, is the converse also true -- can a Pipeline aid movement for another ship if the Pipeline has moved this turn? I'd assume no, but I'm just covering my bases. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dodge
United States
PACIFIC PALISADES
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pipeline ship cannot assist in movement if it has itself moved, thus the flip-side of the counter.

It just says it assists any other "unit" if it began it's turn on the pipeline, and the entirety of the movement takes place on the pipeline. I see no reason that it wouldn't help non-combat ships, including other pipeline ships.

The rules say they always move one, but I think that means they never take advantage of movement technology, even though it isn't limited by hull size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's how we've played it too - the "always 1" means movement 1 tech, but MS pipelines can still let e.g. a Miner move 2 hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I did specifically ask Jim Krohn once about whether other pipeline ships can benefit in movement from an existing pipeline and he said "Yes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MS Pipelines can only aid the movement of 1 unit at a time, and not a stack or group of units, correct?

If you have one MS Pipeline who successfully entered a black hole and no other Pipelines surrounding that black hole hex, can that MS aid units entering a black hole or does he require other MS's surrounding that hex to pipe them into the black hole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Quote:
MS Pipelines can only aid the movement of 1 unit at a time, and not a stack or group of units, correct?

No, they can help a stack.

Quote:
If you have one MS Pipeline who successfully entered a black hole and no other Pipelines surrounding that black hole hex, can that MS aid units entering a black hole or does he require other MS's surrounding that hex to pipe them into the black hole?

Well, I don't think you want to pipe them INTO the black hole.

Oh, yes, you can trust me - set your coordinates for.....dang, lost another one.

Yes, the MS will prevent ships from having to roll against the black hole, but it obviously will not give a movement bonus because the ship will not have spent its entire movement on the Pipeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!

(also bonus points for response within 10 minutes!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enhac Adira
Spain
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly, the MS Pipeline can only help in the movement of a (1) ship for each round of movement.

If the ship is built into a group, I have to separate the ship of this group to walk alone through the chain.

So, if I have a group of 4 BC at the beginning of the chain and my technology of Movement is 1.

At first it would be like this:

Arrakis------------------------System Hex----------------------System Hex
MS Pipeline-------------------MS Pipeline----------------------MS Pipeline
BC (x4)

At the end of the first round of movement would be as follows:

Step 2
MS Pipeline (Moved)--------MS Pipeline (Moved)------------MS Pipeline (Moved)
-------------------------------> BC (x3)--------------------------> BC (x1)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chrono280 wrote:
(also bonus points for response within 10 minutes!)

We really need to lower the bar for Jim's replies.

Unless he answers my questions before I've posted them I will from now on be officially unimpressed! :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
enhac wrote:
If I understand correctly, the MS Pipeline can only help in the movement of a (1) ship for each round of movement.

If the ship is built into a group, I have to separate the ship of this group to walk alone through the chain.

So, if I have a group of 4 BC at the beginning of the chain and my technology of Movement is 1.

BC (x4)

Step 2

Thanks.

No, they can help the whole stack of ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Think of them like they made a road for other ships to travel on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enhac wrote:

BC (x4)

Step 2

Thanks.

I have said this before somewhere, but I will say it again. Jim made a very elegent system. If you have to break your understanding of a rule to something like the above, you are doing something wrong.

Regarding MS Pipelines: If a ship, or stack of ships, begins and ends its move on a pipeline, and all of the pipelines are active - that is to say, none of them moved this turn - then that ship, or stack of ships, gets one additional move, provided that the hex it moves to also has an active MS Pipeline in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enhac Adira
Spain
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry,

I read it wrong! Instead of...
Jim Krohn wrote:

No, they can help a stack.

I read:
Quote:
No, they cant help a stack.

Sorry about the mistake blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.