Subject: Power Grid: Phase 4. Building rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ville Viuhko
United States
Kotka
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is it possible to build more than one building on a round? I coldn't find enywhere where that woud be allowed or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely. You can build as many as you can afford, while keeping to all the rest of the rules regarding builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the only limits to the number of cities you can buy and connect is money (and rules regarding placement).

The only limit to the number of resources you can buy is a) money and b) being able to store them on your powerplants.

You may only buy one power plant per turn though, regardless of how much money you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lyons
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, but can you build more than one city on the first turn?

On first glance, it seems reasonable to assume you can ( and that is the way that I've played it), but the first turn does have some exceptions to the normal order of business, so I'd like to canvas some others opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can build more than one city connection on the first turn. Otherwise, the #07 and #08 plants, which power 2 cities each, wouldn't be very attractive. You may also build zero cities on the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Viuhko
United States
Kotka
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kozuch
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When building on more than one city, do I build as many connections as I want during my turn? Or does each player build one city in a round-robin fashion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player does all their building at once, then the next player, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kozuch
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
Each player does all their building at once, then the next player, etc.

Thanks for the reply, and that's the way that we played (first game yesterday). One effect that we saw was that a single player with 5 connections built three more connections on the last three available cities in a single turn to end step 1. And since the English rules imply that step 2 starts between phase 4 and 5, we judged that he had effectively prevented the others who came later in the [reverse] turn order from building that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
makozuch wrote:
One effect that we saw was that a single player with 5 connections built three more connections on the last three available cities in a single turn to end step 1. And since the English rules imply that step 2 starts between phase 4 and 5, we judged that he had effectively prevented the others who came later in the [reverse] turn order from building that round.

That's right. But you know that guy's going last in the next round, and by then, all those attractive Step 2 2nd-in-the-city spots might be gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ma
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question from a new player:

We've played the first round building phase such that each player gets to place (and pay for) one house each first. We do this to give everyone a fair shot at a good, strategically placed starting city. Once every player has placed one starting house in a city (if they so choose), then we go back to the first player, who now gets to build as many as he wants, followed by the second player, etc.

Do others do this, or do you have the first player build as many houses as he wants, then the second player goes, and so on? Again, I'm only talking about the opening round here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player should build all of the houses they want on their turn. But I can't see the system you use changing very much. In the first round is common for most people to build only one city, with only those who bought power plants with capacity for 2 cities to build in a second city. It is also very uncommon for 2 players to have their starting cities adjacent to each other. So while your way of playing the first round is incorrect, it probably won't change the game flow very much if you continue to play that way. Now if you used that system through out the whole game, the you'd be changing things considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ma
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.

The fact of the matter is when we played I wasn't sure if it was correct, but -- as you've poitned out -- I figured that even if the way we played was wrong, it wasn't going to interfere with the gameplay any and it seemed equitable.

Of course, from now on, we'll play it the correct way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigbossma wrote:
The fact of the matter is when we played I wasn't sure if it was correct, but -- as you've poitned out -- I figured that even if the way we played was wrong, it wasn't going to interfere with the gameplay any and it seemed equitable.

Except that's the point, its not supposed to be equitable - the point of the turn order is to make it less attractive to be "in the lead". If purchasing fuels and buying cities was "fair" it wouldn't make the game all that interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
makozuch wrote:
When building on more than one city, do I build as many connections as I want during my turn? Or does each player build one city in a round-robin fashion?

I have always wondered this, too. It never actually says in the rules, and I would like to know how everyone else decided to play it, one way or the other. Word of mouth? Any proven, written explanation from a reliable source? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
makozuch wrote:

I have always wondered this, too. It never actually says in the rules, and I would like to know how everyone else decided to play it, one way or the other. Word of mouth? Any proven, written explanation from a reliable source? :-)

To beat russ in posting the link to Power Grid FAQ right hear in BGG, here you go: phase 4 player order explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be good and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no mention of any round-robin rounds within a phase anywhere in the rules. Why should there be such an additional unwritten rule in this phase if there is none for phases 3 or 5 (buying resources and powering plants)?

Where there is a round-robin mechanism, in the auction phase, it is explicitly mentioned in the rules. Note that it is one step below phase turns as the task of the phase (i.e. auctioning a new plant) is not round-robin: you may repeatedly open auctions until/unless you already own a new plant and then you may not do it during the same phase.

More to the point, the example on page 5, of Anna buying several consecutive cities, will not always work if there were a round-robin house buying mechanism, because the other player could block her.

If the explanation seems too convoluted it is because I try to prove a negative, the absence of an extra rule. The heart of the matter is that there is no round-robin rule on the players' turn in any phase and therefore none should be inferred.

(edit: some of the typos)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.