Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the "when played" abilities are optional, but what about the "resolution" and "end of combat" abilities? Do you have to resolve these even if you don't want to?

The reason I'm asking is because of the Daqan Lords Siege Machine card. It states "RESOLUTION: Discard 1 card from your hand to add +2 to this unit". Depending on the situation, I may not need to nor want to discard a card. However, all other cards I've reviewed would seem that you must perform the resolution ability and it is not optional. Also, the example in the rulebook says the player "may" choose to use this ability. Why would one card be optional but all others aren't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
All abilities are optional, per page 12. It discusses it under the Assault step, but it does say "Using unit abilities is always optional."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
All abilities are optional, per page 12. It discusses it under the Assault step, but it does say "Using unit abilities is always optional."

I did see this, but since it was under the assault article and not in the resolution article, it seemed that this statement was referring to the "when played" ability only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but the next sentence says "Some unit abilities refer to destroying or wounding units, which often occurs during this combat step." Implying that while it discusses it here, it applies to other steps as well.

Also, on page 14, it says it again: "Abilities on unit and tactics cards are always optional..." And here it's definitely not just referring to When Played, as underneath that paragraph it talks about all 4 types of abilities, which means that this "optional" bit is referring to ALL abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch. I guess sometimes after reading a rulebook over and over and then when you try playing it, you manage to not see certain rules when going back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.