Popular Tags: [View All]
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We played our first game a month or so ago, trying the first scenario. We had a bit of a bug there and I'm interested to hear if I might have missed something.

Anyway, we played the scenario that basically ends by either the players defeating the old man or by the event cards running out in which case the GM wins.

What happened was that the players did realize they would need to go to the kitchen, but acted a bit hastily and managed to get themselves into the cellar (and then realizing, that no, this isn't the way to the kitchen). Axe maniacs, traumas and such later and by barely getting the 2nd clue, the game was in a state where the event card says "Reveal Objective".

Now, the problem was that the objective was as stated above, but it felt weird telling the players that "You need to kill the old man" when he hadn't even spawned yet. So from a story POV, I didn't tell this to the player, just told them that they really need to step up and hurry (because they were still missing the final clue, which if I remember correctly, spawns the old guy).

Sadly, the guys were just wayyyyy to late in having any kind of mathematical chance of even reaching the last clue or acting on it afterwards.

Anything like this happen to you guys and how did you handle it? From a roleplaying perspective, I later thought that I perhaps should have stopped putting markers on the last event card which ends the game, until the player reach the 3rd clue and know what to do.

Also, the guys thought that the flaming zombie that appears after the 1st or 2nd event is the man from the story (but as it was far away and the zombie isn't described in any way, they didn't think it was important). This event seemed a bit weird, since it had no actual story context (whereas when the zombie spawns in the garden and it's stated that it's obviously the man's wife).

Still everyone had great time and everyone wants to play again as soon as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm sorry, but where is the bug?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was looking for a bug, but in your situation there is none.

I think you played it well when not telling them the objective, even as it was against the rules. Second option is to tell them something like "It is clear that old man has gone psycho, you have to find him and stop him", which saves you from jerky players which will scream that you did not give then the objective.

When playing for the first time, tell them twice more that they have to hurry and race for the clues.
It is hard for the first few times, especially that we are not native speakers and only one player in my group reads English fluently. eg. there is a clue in this scenario like (from head) - "...I dragged them DOWN the hallway..." and the players jumped to DOWN=basement and headed towards their doom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the OP is referring to the following as the bug:
Reko wrote:
The problem was that the objective was as stated above, but it felt weird telling the players that "You need to kill the old man" when he hadn't even spawned yet.

At first, I was also taken aback by this situation. The answer is: the investigators need to keep looking for the old man via clues. Sadly, it seems they were too far behind to begin with.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, thanks for the replies. My problem was with mixing strict rules reading to the theme of the game, but I think it thematically works better if you don't reveal the objective since the players have no clue who you are even talking about when you refer to the old man.

And yea, speed is of the essence, though I think the GM can slow the events down just for the sake of everyone having more fun.

Overall, I referred to it as a bug since the situation we got into is probably fairly common since it is the first scenario after all. So the dilemma was a bit of a surprise when it came

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Reko wrote:
Yep, thanks for the replies. My problem was with mixing strict rules reading to the theme of the game, but I think it thematically works better if you don't reveal the objective since the players have no clue who you are even talking about when you refer to the old man.

Why would they have no clue who he is? They were sent on a mission to find him and are at his house.
The fact they havn't seen him yet is irrelevant. They certainly know who he is ("no wonder we can't find him, he has gone mad!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.