Subject: A very nice game for being so Cheap! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first Cheap Ass game and I like that the company sees no reason to keep selling you the bits and pieces when you have them in all the other game you have sitting around - cool concept I feel.

Photo thanks to

Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

NOTE: this is a picture of the new color remix, I have a black and whit copy that has the same size cards, just not colored.

The cards in Safari Jack (SJ) are very cheap and my one issue is how many games I can get out of them, I am hoping at least 100. To be honest it is only a $3.5 game and I got it for free ( or for GG I think ) so the $ issue is not a big thing for me. I got this a few years back, it sat in Ohio, now I have it safe and sound in Costa Rica and got in some gaming the other day with it.

The rules are very easy to understand and we played a game to figure it all out and it was fun enough that we ended up playing 4 in row. I would say it is a 10-15 minute game usually.

The turns go so fast a big problem with us was remembering to draw a card at the beginning of our turn - we forgot a few times I am sure & I had to hand a card to Matt after he took his turn a lot.

So our 2nd game I thought I had won easily, only to have Matt throw down a few high point cards at the end, score them and we tied at 13 points - so we check for tie situations and it turns out if you have end caps in your hand you lose points for those, well I got hosed here and lost badly, Matt had no end caps in his hand.

Ok, OK, so our third game we now know how to play, know all the rules ( there are very few, but I seem to always get something wrong when learning a game ) and are ready to explore. We go different ways and I score first. He then scores a 1 pt which is the lowest possible and I have to laugh. I am trying to get far from Matt so he can not use a move 3 or 4 card and jump on my end tiles. I lay down a high point end cap and Matt throws down Safari Jack - so I then have to bump him onto Safari Jack so he does not get to use his special movement bonus. It was enough that I got onto my high point end cap. He bumped me away from some of my end caps next and luckily I had a move 4 card saved, that let me steal his next end caps he placed, but he did bump me away and steal some of my points ( it is tough out there in the jungle I tell you ).

I really like how your hand will get really big and you have a lot of options for paths. The way the movement and base camps work is very nice and makes for an interesting lay out that will always be different. We only played it with 2 people, but I have a feeling this will be lot more cut throat with more people. Having to get rid of the end caps is big part of the game, I thought I was going to be able to off my big 4 point end cap on my last turn just to get rid of it - and not score it, but Matt had a move 4 card left and scored those 4 points which again brought him really close to my score. As it turns out I had 16 points and should have won when I hit 14, but guess what I got another rule wrong or just forgot about it ( OK OK, we may be doing a bit of partying during our game session so 3 rules is tough to keep track of - lol ). So we add up our score and Matt would have won, but he had a lot of end caps left that lost him point and I won anyways. We played another game after that and Matt won that one. We both agreed we liked it and I said I would find Mini's and tokens to set aside for this one so it is always ready to play and we don't have to go looking for markers and bits and such.

Photo thanks to

Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

here is a photo of my times with no color - and a tribute to the good Doctor to boot I think?

But I was very impressed with Cheap Ass Games - I saw the Man behind CAG at GC 2011 do the opening bit for the whole show up on a stage to get into the Dealer Hall, he was funny, seemed cool, and could make fun of himself - all good things in my book.

This has led me to thinking that I will get more Cheap Ass Games since I think this is a good game, maybe not a great game I will pull out a lot, but it is a great game for newbs to break them into the whole gaming thing ( easy enough to learn, enough choices that make it fun, and some interaction and tension thrown in to make it a good solid game for oh so cheap )!

Game ON'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.