Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we German taxpayers should simply pay for such refurbishment. Sets very much the wrong tone. It's not healthy for developing countries looking for foreign handouts.

Instead, this opportunity to save a national treasure of Tanzania should galvanise Tanzanian civil society into action.

In such heritage conservation matters, it's often wise for the state (or in this case Germany as a foreign donor) to match the money raised in a fundraising campaign. After all, it's not like everyone in Tanzania's destitute...

If you go about it this way, Tanzanians themselves can take pride in the saving of this storied vessel and it'd be a good symbol of German-Tanzanian friendship. It then wouldn't be just a generous gift by Germany, but a development-cooperation success story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
from Game Crafter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit puzzled by the whole thing. Why, I wondered, would Tanzania wish to preserve a ship that would remind them of both their former colonial masters?

Perhaps they are hoping that Germany will buy it, dis-assemble it back into the pieces it was in when it first came to the lake, and take it back to Germany? They'd then have money for a new ferry . . . .

Perhaps I'm missing something.

One has to marvel at the construction of the ship; almost 100 years old and still going . . . even after years under water!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vandine
United States
Weaverville
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, as "Colonial Masters" went, the Germans seem to have been pretty good ones, encouraging education and participation in local politics, forming police and military units mostly from locals and generally giving the local population a lot more say in local affairs than most colonial powers did. The worked hard on infrastructure and facilities (schools, hospitals, roads, rails, that sort of thing). Compare this to the more common British and French benign neglect and the downright savagery of Belgian, Portuguese and Dutch Colonial Masters, and you begin to see why the German Askaris stayed loyal and fought on even AFTER Germany had surrendered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.