Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction:

This is a session report for my second annual game of Advanced Civilization played on August 27th, 2011. Being as we had just 4 players we decided to use this 4-player specific map called “The Glory that was Greece” designed by Peter Smith and available from this website

This was a tremendous game which was incredibly entertaining and I thought I would share this detailed account here on the geek. Each turn giving an account of notable events, cities standing after construction (but before calamities) and technologies purchased. I hope you enjoy looking at this account a fraction as much as we enjoyed playing the game.

Civilization Draw:
Joel - First Choice – Asia - Orange
Joe – Second Choice - Crete - Light Green
Kevin – Third Choice - Thrace - Dark Green
Ryan (Me) – No Choice - Illyria – Yellow

Admission of Illyrian Bias:
The following accounts are as remember by me the Illyrian player and though I took notes, many of the events are from memory and such focus on my civilization and Thrace who was my main rival throughout the game. I may have missed some important goings on in Crete and Asia. Hopefully the other players can fill in some info by contributing to this session report.

This picture, which was taken during Turn 8, gives you a feel for the map and for the boundaries that were established at the beginning of the game and were held for the first half of the game.

And away we go on our adventure throughout history…

Turns 1-5:

Boundaries are agreed upon, with each player discussing which of 7 of the 28 city sites they claim as “their territory.” Players expand across the country. Asia and Crete decide to build cities on turn 4. Thrace and Illyria wait until Turn 5 to build their first cities. Crete bounced once on the AST on turn 5 for not having 3 cities.

Turn 6:

Notes: Still no trading yet.

Thrace: CIT: 6 TECH: - CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 5 TECH: - CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 3 TECH: - CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 3 TECH: - CAL –

Key for Turn Summaries:
CIT: Cities after City Construction TECH: Technologies Purchased CAL: Calamities

Turn 7:

Notes: First trading occurs, First technologies purchased and first calamity. Asia trades Slave Revolt to Illyria, Illyria reduces three cities.

Thrace: CIT: 7 TECH: Pottery CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 6 TECH: Mysticism CAL: Slave Revolt
Asia: CIT: 5 TECH: Mysticism CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 4 TECH: - CAL –

Turn 8:

Notes: Illyria returns the favor by trading Barbarian Hordes to Asia. Illyria is able to develop Agriculture the earliest, helping in city growth.

Thrace: CIT: 7 TECH: ClothMaking CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 7 TECH: Agriculture CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 7 TECH: Pottery CAL: Barbarian Hordes
Crete: CIT: 5 TECH: Pottery CAL –

Turn 9:

Notes: Now the game is really getting going, with treachery and first bloodshed in player-on-player war, the game is afoot. Crete destroys the Thracians on the island of Thera whilst Asia deals with its marauding Barbarians. Thracian Treachery takes a city in the heart of Illyrian territory, which is the very beginning of an upcoming bitter rivalry between the Illyrians and the Thracians.

Thrace: CIT: 7 TECH: Literacy, Coinage CAL: Epidemic traded from Asia
Illyria: CIT: 9 TECH: Metalworking CAL: Earthquake, Treachery from Thrace
Asia: CIT: 6 TECH: Drama CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 6 TECH: Music, Engineering CAL –

Turn 10:

Notes: A difficult time for the civilizations. Thrace is dealt 4 Disasters from the deck. Thrace manages to trade Piracy to Illyria who manages to trade it to Crete at the last second of trading. Crete also sends surplus population for a foray into Asia which are easily put down by Asian troops.

Thrace: CIT: 7 TECH: Agriculture, Astronomy CAL: (Random of 4) Flood, Slave Revolt
Illyria: CIT: 8 TECH: Engineering CAL: Superstition
Asia: CIT: 6 TECH: - CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 5 TECH: Clothmaking CAL Piracy – also affecting Thrace and Asia

Turn 11:

Notes: The difficult line of the Iron Age approaches, Thrace manages to meet the requirement by purchasing three technologies, while the other civilizations fall behind, an AST advantage that Thrace will hold for the rest of the game. The hordes of barbarians who had just been vanquished from Asia make a vengeful return courtesy of a trade from Crete who received it originally from Illyria

Thrace: CIT: 5 TECH: Mysticism, Drama, Metalworking CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 8 TECH: Mining CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 6 TECH: Literacy CAL: Barbarian Hordes
Crete: CIT: 5 TECH: Mysticism CAL –

Turn 12:

Notes: The first open blood is drawn between Illyria and Thrace. Illyrians with no other purpose but to starve decide to claim territory in Macedonia slaughtering innocent Thracians, the Thracians vow to exact revenge. Thrace surges ahead by another square on the AST to take a two square lead, which would be its largest of the game. Illyria, Asia and Crete still struggle to emerge from the Bronze Age.

Thrace: CIT: 7 TECH: Engineering CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 9 TECH: Cloth, Pottery, Drama CAL: Epidemic
Asia: CIT: 5 TECH: Clothmaking CAL: Civil Disorder
Crete: CIT: 5 TECH: Literacy, Agriculture, Astronomy CAL –

Turn 13:

Notes: This is a rough turn for Crete facing both a volcanic eruption and treachery from Thrace. Meanwhile because Thrace holds the advantage in moving after Illyria they exact revenge and brutalize the Illyrians in several regions around Paeonia, Dacia and Pella. Though all is not rosy for Thrace; as they struggle to reach the requirements for the Late Bronze Age and bounce on the AST for the first time. Illyria is actually the only civilization who moves on the track this turn being the second to enter the Iron Age.

Thrace: CIT: 6 TECH: Mining CAL: Superstition
Illyria: CIT: 7 TECH: Astronomy, Literacy CAL: Flood
Asia: CIT: 4 TECH: - CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 5 TECH: - CAL Volcanic Eruption Treachery from Thrace

Turn 14:

Notes: Illyria and Thrace enter into Diplomatic Negotiations, with Illyria holding the last move yet Thrace holding a goodly number of population tokens in threatening positions. Just when it looks like talks will break down with Illyria not being willing to concede its original lands of the rich province of Dacia, Illyria finally agrees to concede Dacia to Thrace in return for withdrawal from the city site Pella and Dalmatia and the promise of peaceful relations between the two nations. Asia rebuilds back to its former greatness, having a relief from its onslaught of Calamities. Thrace is able to be the first to advance to the Late Iron Age this turn.

Thrace: CIT: 8 TECH: Medicine, Music CAL: Famine
Illyria: CIT: 7 TECH: Architecture CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 7 TECH: Astronomy CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 5 TECH: Metalworking CAL –

Turn 15:

Notes: Thrace tests the uneasy relations of the Illyrians by taking a seemingly insignificant Illyrian holding of the island of Skapoles. This attack directed to purposefully remove critical support for a ninth Illyrian city. Thrace also gets a visit from the Barbarian Hordes though its knowledge of metal helps to nullify the threat. Thrace though is unable to reach the challenge of 1400 technology points and bounces for the second time in the game, allowing the others to make up ground. Thrace sees Illyria respond to its tyranny by developing the technology of Military. Dun.. Dun… DUNNNN!

Thrace: CIT: 8 TECH: Architecture CAL: Barbarian Hordes
Illyria: CIT: 8 TECH: Military CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 7 TECH: Metalwork CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 6 TECH: Coinage CAL –

Turn 16:

Notes: Thrace needs to fend off the barbarians from their land attempts to defend some of its cities and territory from the inevitable Illyrian charge. Illyria uses its Military to good effect attempting to squash Thracian Farm support by conquering the territories of Macedonia and the isle of Lesbos. Though this round proves to be dreadfully calamitous as Illyria, Asia and Crete are all affected by powerful calamities.

Thrace: CIT: 8 TECH: Law CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 9 TECH: Coinage CAL: Piracy
Asia: CIT: 7 TECH: Engineering, Music CAL: Epidemic
Crete: CIT: 7 TECH: Enlightenment CAL Civil Disorder

Turn 17: The Crash of Civilization

Notes: War, Blood and Destruction plagues this brutal turn. Illyria eyes bigger targets for its well-trained military, crossing the Aegean with an Armada to sack and immediately rebuild the Thracian cities of Maronea and Ephosus. Illyria’s pillaging proves unjustly poor. This is followed by SEVEN calamities with just Asia managing to suffer only one. Illyria in the end is reduced to just one city and Thrace just three freezing the front-runners on the AST track allowing Crete and Asia to make up ground.

Thrace: CIT: 5 TECH: Democracy CAL: Earthquake, Treachery from Crete
Illyria: CIT: 9 TECH: Law, Medicine CAL: Slave Revolt and Iconoclasm & Heresy
Asia: CIT: 6 TECH: - CAL: - Superstition
Crete: CIT: 7 TECH: Coinage CAL – Civil War (cedes 6up’s to Thrace), Flood

Turn 18:

Notes: A time of rebuilding. Illyria manages to rebuild 6 cities on one turn having almost all 55 population tokens on the board. All other civilizations rebuild after the disastrous last turn. This turn offers a respite with just one calamity to Asia who did not get its share last turn. Thrace advances to one spot of ending the game on the AST with Illyria hot on its heels.

Thrace: CIT: 6 TECH: Philosophy CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 7 TECH: Music CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 7 TECH: - CAL: Famine
Crete: CIT: 6 TECH: Medicine CAL –

Turn 19:

Notes: Thrace crawls to the finish line hoping to have done enough. Illyria having rebuilt its strength sacks and rebuilds the Thracian city of Troy with a strong desire to conquer a second but lacking the strength without sacrificing the build of its ninth city. Thrace goes into the end with five cities being able to end the game barring the effect of a calamity. Thrace chooses not to trade with its meager five cards to avoid a calamity, allowing it to not build a technology for the first turn since technologies were being purchased. The other civilizations trade to mutual profit especially with the blessing of the first trading turn without a calamity in the entire game. With no disasters the game comes to its end as Thrace reaches the end of the track.

Thrace: CIT: 6 TECH: - CAL: -
Illyria: CIT: 5 TECH: Philosophy, Roadbuilding CAL: -
Asia: CIT: 3 TECH: Deism, Enlightenment CAL: -
Crete: CIT: 3 TECH: Theology CAL –

Final Scoring:

Thrace = (Tech) 1940 + (AST 3 bounces) 1600 + ( 5 Cities) 250 + (Change) 27 = 3,817 Points
Illyria = (Tech) 2060 + (AST 4 bounces) 1500 + (9 Cities) 450 + (Change) 3 = 4,013 Points
Asia = (Tech) 900 + (AST 7 bounces) 1200 + (6 Cities) 300 + (Change) 12 = 2,412 Points
Crete = (Tech) 1370 + (AST 5 bounces) 1400 + (7 Cities) 350 + (Change) 38 = 3158 Points

Illyria Emerges Victorious!

Cities by Turn after City Construction
Turn: Thrace Illyria Asia Crete
06 6 5 3 3
07 7 6 5 4
08 7 7 7 5
09 7 9 6 6
10 7 8 6 5
11 5 8 6 5
12 7 9 5 5
13 6 7 4 5
14 8 7 7 5
15 8 8 7 6
16 8 9 7 7
17 5 9 6 7
18 6 7 7 6
19 5 9 6 7

(Apparently the tabs don't work very well in formatting this so I apologize that these tables aren't lined up hopefully you can puzzle it out if you care enough )

Techs Purchased by Turn
7 Pot Mys Mys -
8 Clo Agr Pot Pot
9 Lit,Coin Metal Dra Mus,Eng
10 Agr,Ast Eng - Clo
11 Mys,Dra,Met Mine Lit Mys
12 Eng Clo,Pot,Dra Clo Lit,Agr,Ast
13 Mine Ast,Lit - -
14 Med, Mus Arc Ast -
15 Arc Milt Metal -
16 Law Coin Eng, Mus Enl
17 Dem Law,Med - Coin
18 Phi Mus - Med
19 - Phi,Road Deii,Enl Theo

Number of Resolved Primary Victim Calamities by Round
07 - 1 - -
08 - - 1 -
09 1 2 - -
10 2 1 - 1
11 - - 1 -
12 - 1 1 -
13 1 1 - 2
14 1 - - -
15 1 - - -
16 - 1 1 1
17 2 2 1 2
18 - - 1 -
19 - - - -
TO 8 9 6 6

Reflections on the game from an Illyrian Perspective:

I think what really helped me in this game was the initial drawing up of the borders. None of us had played this map before which was fun because none of us were really sure where to draw the lines to start with. I had many regions with 3’s and 4’s and several island 1’s which even proved fruitful after being able to purchase an early Agriculture. Though I hit the most disasters, which makes sense because I was drawing the most cards, I was able to quickly rebound because of the amount of territory that I had with the help of agriculture boosting its limits. Avoiding the turn 10 Piracy at the last second was huge though! In having two bounces in getting into the Iron Age I was very nervous about being able to catch up. Since it was becoming a two man race, direct conflict with Thrace was my best option. I was luckily able to afford Military at a key point, and luckily Thrace could not afford purchasing Military to nullify my advantage. Going into the final count I wasn’t sure I had it, I thought that being two dollars shy of Democracy might have done me in, but the city count on the last turn ended up making the difference. It was an amazing game and I loved the experience, I look forward to next year’s contest. Though I have a feeling next time, purchasing Military will be met with another purchase of Military

Reflections on the Map:

This map is fantastic, much thanks to Peter Smith for making this available on the Web. I was really worried about whether we would have enough interaction or the board would be tight enough using the East or West of the standard board. This board is very tight and provides for an excellent four player experience, I highly recommend that you give it a try. I especially like how all four players can attack one another if necessary, with the only exception being Asia and Illyria being the furthest from Interaction but only until Astronomy comes into play.

Reflections on Play Time:

The game took us 11 hours and 18 minutes including a pizza break. I was expecting 10-12 but really would like to work on being more efficient and cranking through the game a bit quicker. At the 8-9 hour mark though the game is still very engaging and becoming the climactic, all of our bodies and minds are wearing down. Next year I think that we really need to implement more simultaneous movement unless directly insisted upon be another player. I think even allowing players to combine the build boats/ move phase unless insisted on by another player would speed up the game. Joe suggested having a “Round Master” whose Job it was to make sure the game moves along which I think is a good idea. Also purchasing of techs seemed to take a long time, one thing I figured out halfway through is that I should really be figuring out my purchases when others are resolving calamities that don’t involve me as fun as it is to watch. If during calamity resolution everyone worked on thinking about their purchases that may speed the game up as well. I would love to hear any suggestions from experienced players of adv civ on how they get this game done in under 8 hours. Especially being as I would like to play the next game with 6-8 instead of just 4.

Thanks so much for reading and I very much look forward to any feedback from this session report and to next year’s game of Advanced Civilization.

-Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Do you think this map would work for Civilization as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME REPORT!!! I've never played before but you've inspired me to send out an email to friends to organise a game for the coming weeks.

Can you explain what you mean by 'establishing boundaries'? How does that work exactly, and when/how does conflict then occur? Is there some general agreement that you won't attack until everyone reaches 7 cities or something like that? Does anyone ever break these agreements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much yeah. There were 28 city cites, so everyone negiotated their 7. I believe Illyria did better at getting a couple extra farming sites off Crete and Thrace which enabled them to get to 8 and 9 cities consistantly through out the game.

Overall in Civ, it seems best to get everyone to 7 cities so trading can work better. Then use the calamities to knock people down and if some start getting to 8 and 9 cities, then possibly move military later in the game to defend against that.

Early wars in Civ usually end up killing both nations due to the loss of population early, so less cities early, compared to any nations not fighting early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this map would work great with regular civ.

As far as "establishing boundaries" it is generally considered a good idea to negotiate territory once the civs start to run into each other, trying to make it fair for both sides. This is because if you fight it will just but both of you further behind the other more peaceful civilizations.

In the case of this map Thrace and Illyria had to divvy up the territories of Dacia and Macedonia on Turn 1 as they were very close to each other right as they started the game.

But this does not mean these boundaries are etched in stone, several things can happen that will change these boundaries. The calamities may place other players in your territory forcing you to expel them. Or you may get to a point where you cant expand any more so your choices are to either move into enemy territory or starve. This was my situation and what led me to move into Thrace territory in Turn 10 and there after the Thracian-Illyrian border became a battleground. Though some players will play entire games and never cross into another players territory all game, but I guess for me that just gets boring, especially if they start winning, CHARGE!

But you definitely need to wait until you are established and be aware of the hammer of moving last. Whoever gets to move last in the turn will be able to punish the player who had to move first, then this will alternate as the player who lost a bunch of guys will have less guys and be given the advantage to move last and you will have a never ending back and forth, unless of course you have the Military Tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue I hoped this would be info on the third Ancient World series game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. I didn't see it in the weblinks section, so add the link and get a little gg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that 8-9 hours people get too tired to continue playing any game. That is my main problem with Civilization. Ideally I want to play it in two sessions or somehow end it on the turn that we hit 8 hours of playtime.

When I play Civ I like to attack all of my neighbors whenever I can cause more damage to them than to me, and I rather try to have more cities than my neighbors! I took Crete to a win in my last 6 player game by being very aggressive and people not being aggressive back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petter W
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for a great report. I think I will play this again after only doing TTA for a couple of years.

I wonder, how large paper did you put it on? 2 x 2 [A4 or letter]?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was printed on a plotter printer with document size set to Super D/A1 straight from the web page jpg. It didn't fill out the whole 36x24, but was large enough to fit the tokens without issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use PosteRazor (open source)

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the start spaces have unnecessary descriptive text. Rather than say "Thracians Start Here" it should simply read "Thracians." Also the colors seem too bright. The blue ocean / white coast is a bit jarring. Different shades of blue should be used instead.

I'd like to make these edits and then try it as a 4 player normal Civ game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked over this map quite a bit and I think I'm going to make it my next redraw project. I will try to find a pallet that works with the civ components. Here's a peak at my last project:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great let me know of any progress on these projects! I might try to contact the designer and share this session report as well as your interest in graphically upgrading his map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
I've looked over this map quite a bit and I think I'm going to make it my next redraw project. I will try to find a pallet that works with the civ components. Here's a peak at my last project:

I was considering a redraw also. I'd probably base it on satellite images. But you're a far better artist than I am, so would surely come up with something better. Are you still considering the project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richarnd wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

I was considering a redraw also. I'd probably base it on satellite images. But you're a far better artist than I am, so would surely come up with something better. Are you still considering the project?

Yup. Hopefully I'll be starting this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
Bedburg(Erft)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole, I am a Adv Civ addict as well. I would be highly interested in this map of Greece. I seriously consider improving the original map myself, but your artistic skills seem to outweigh my corresponding skills (which I do not dare to call "artistic") by far. Are you working on it? Otherwise I would love to give it a try...

Cheers, Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olav wrote:
Cole, I am a Adv Civ addict as well. I would be highly interested in this map of Greece. I seriously consider improving the original map myself, but your artistic skills seem to outweigh my corresponding skills (which I do not dare to call "artistic") by far. Are you working on it? Otherwise I would love to give it a try...

Cheers, Olav

Hey Olav,

I have a little work done but then graduate school got in the way. I will be redrawing this map in early December and have it done before Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
Bedburg(Erft)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
olav wrote:

Cheers, Olav

Hey Olav,

I have a little work done but then graduate school got in the way. I will be redrawing this map in early December and have it done before Christmas.

Sorry, couldn't wait. What do you say? Possibly not your style...

Cheers, Olav

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job! I'll probably still attempt mine if I've got time. You may also wanna play with different color filters to alter the backdrop so the pieces and game information stand out better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A buddy of mine is a GIS wizard. He agreed to make a map of the region based on some elevation data, which turned out great. I then added the game elements in Illustrator. Some of the elements are adapted from the CivProject map.

We've playtested it once using CivProject rules. Crete's board position seems to work fine if Crete starts with Astronavigation (Astronomy). We just played that each civ gets one advance worth less than 100 for free; Crete naturally selects Astronav. This advance doesn't count for AST purposes.

If you don't do this you do probably need to adjust Crete's starting position.

It's still in beta, but PM me if you want the PDF. I already found one error - the pop limit on Ephesus should be 2. There are surely others.

n.b.: I use full poker-size trade cards, not the small cards that came with the Avalon Hill game - that should give you an idea of the dimensions for the map. I can of course print a version without the tables and card spots, which could be any arbitrary size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peet Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys.

I'm really glad you enjoyed my map. I made it because I had a few friends who were Civ fans but getting seven players is pretty hard, while getting four tends to be doable.

I chose Greece as the site because the map is very interesting with lots of sea action which I think is fairly important for a good game of Civ. Also Greece was a natural site for many cultures to interact and I was able to use the original nations that populated the original Civ board. I also designed the map to be "tight" since I feel this makes for a better game.

I really like the map that Nathan has posted - it looks wonderful. I freely acknowledge that my map has a low image quality and I did it a long time ago when the tools I had available were somewhat primitive. I'm glad someone else picked up the torch because I would never be able to make a map this nice in my spare time.

Thanks for a great session report.

Regards,
Peet
www.drpetrov.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Olav made a different version of this map, which fixes the problem with Crete by combining areas.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/709380/glory-that-was-greece...

I find this more appealing than giving each civ a free technology at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
Bedburg(Erft)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the map modification feels somewhat better than giving away free civ cards. However that other map of Greece looks so much better than mine. I reworked my version again and used a different background. No longer Google maps screenshots, but graphics from a GIS. Anyway, my impression is that the other map still looks better, but has too many areas around Crete... ;-)

(I intentionally put in some broad borders on the board. When you print that map on numerous sheets and glue it to tiles, it is quite convenient if you have some spare room at the edges. But that might be a poor man's solution, anyway. Don't know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Richardson
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG admins have approved my map - it's available here. Unfortunately that's an old version and includes a particularly ugly mistake - a missing border in Asia Minor.

It's still a work in progress, so it may be better to host it elsewhere until it is finalized. I'm also happy to make a version incorporating Olav's changes to boundaries around Crete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.