Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Harkness
United Kingdom
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Be honest with me now fellow BGGers. I have Le Havre and I love it, and I'm wondering whether I should get Agricola. Is it worth owning both? Do they have sufficient differences such that I should own both? How do they compare really? Your honest opinions would be much appreciated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and I think they are VERY different.

I like both of them a lot - but they are so different I don't know if I could say that you would like Agricola just because you like Le Havre, but I should imagine that you've read enough about Agricola to be able to tell, yourself.

In any case, rest assured that they are quite different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I own Le Havre, but not Agricola. I have played both but like Le Havre better.

Here are my comparisons:
It feels like you are constructing something more so in Agricola than Le Havre

In Agricola, actions are everything. You need to grow your family. In Le Havre, everyone gets the same number of actions - which seems fairer to me. First one to expand in Agricola has a big advantage.

Food - not having enough in Agricola can CRIPPLE you. It's just a minor annoyance in Le Havre.

Resources - good variety in each game, but I like the upgraded ones in Le Havre and trying to get those upgrades.

Player interaction - kinda the same amount IMHO.

Better variety of buildings and options in Le Havre.

Cards - the minor improvements and occupations you are dealt in the beginning can have a HUGE impact on the game in Agricola. I don't care what anyone else says, if you're dealt CRAP you are really behind the 8 ball. In Le Havre, everyone starts equally.

Le Havre plays longer than Agricola, though the "short version" can be played to alleviate the time constraint.

Player turn order can change in Agricola, which I like. In Le Havre it never changes.

Both games have expansions, but I like the Farmers expansion in Agricola. It really adds a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Straub
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different? Very much so. Having done it the other way around - I found Le Havre very relaxing when compared with Agricola. While Le Havre is a lot of "how much can I do before the game ends", Agricola is more "how can I get everything done before the game ends".

Yes, you have harvests and animals multiply and you have to "feed", but really I think they are very different games.

Both are fun. Given how highly ranked Agricola is and the fact that a lot of people enjoy both games, it sounds like you will too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own both games and think they are both great, but I prefer Le Havre. Both games are fun, but for different reasons. When playing Agricola you have to a little of everything. In Le Havre you can choose to specialize. The biggest difference is that playing Agricola you have to choose the best out of a group of bad choices* whereas playing Le Havre you have to choose the best out of a group of good choices.

(* What I mean by bad choices is that you never have enough time to do everything you want to do)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes.

I dislike both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Woolls
United States
Grosse Pointe Park
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have both and love both. Someone already summed it up well for me. Agricola feels much tighter and less forgiving. Le Havre feels a little less frantic. They do feel a little similar. I can tell am not surprised they are designed by the same person. But not so much that Iwould only want one.

Joshua

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le javre is waaaay longer. Both good though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While still relatively new to the scene, it was Agricola that got me here. I bought it based on Amazon reviews and wondered what else was out there. I have Le Havre as well and enjoy both but they are completely different experiences. The absolute beauty of Agricola is the cards. While it is true that a bad hand can doom you, I find that it rarely happens. I am usually analyzing what I have to best lay out my strategy to where my card strengths are. I do not have that feeling in Le Havre, but it is good for reasons you obviously know. The question is will those of us with Agricola and Le Havre need to get Ora et Labora (sp?) When released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pododub wrote:
We have both and love both. Someone already summed it up well for me. Agricola feels much tighter and less forgiving. Le Havre feels a little less frantic. They do feel a little similar. I can tell am not surprised they are designed by the same person. But not so much that Iwould only want one.

Joshua

GROGnads is that you? You've gone monochromatic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally after I played Le Havre, I have little interest in Agricola.

Le Havre has more interaction and isn't mostly about what cards are dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them both, but they are certainly distinct from each other.

This may differ for others, but for me, these games come out in different situations.

-Le Havre I prefer with 2-3 people, and in my experience, it is harder to learn for a new player. I believe this is because it is difficult, if not impossible, to see the way the end-game will work on your first play.

-Agricola I enjoy with 2-4 people, and is easier for a new player to learn (in my opinion). The option of the family game is there. Fortunately, there is plenty of depth as well.

I hope you try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrstr wrote:
While Le Havre is a lot of "how much can I do before the game ends", Agricola is more "how can I get everything done before the game ends".

This pretty much sums it up.

Agricola has a constricted path to victory. You know what you have to accomplish, and you have to do it efficiently and without making a disasterous error.

In Le Havre, you have a broad range of choices and strategies to pursue. It's still about efficiency, but it has a more open feel.

I dislike Agricola, and I'm a big fan of Le Havre. So yes, it is possible you may not like Agricola. I highly recommend trying it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.