Subject: The great wargaming electronic devices platforms poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
As a code monkey I'm curious about how much of the "post PC" hype I keep reading applies to wargamers. So, if you've got a sec, enquiring minds are keen to know!

Poll
Which of the following do you currently own?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
PC
88.0% 265
Mac
23.9% 72
iPhone
25.6% 77
iPad
26.6% 80
Android smartphone
23.9% 72
Android tablet
7.3% 22
None of the above (I read this forum in internet cafes!)
0.7% 2
Voters 301
Which of the following do you currently play wargames on (if any)?
PC
62.5% 185
Mac
9.8% 29
iPhone
3.4% 10
iPad
11.1% 33
Android smartphone
4.1% 12
Android tablet
1.0% 3
None of the above (tabletops or death! :) )
27.7% 82
Voters 296
Which of the following do you plan on buying in 2011 or 2012 (if any)?
PC
13.4% 37
Mac
5.8% 16
iPhone
10.5% 29
iPad
20.3% 56
Android smartphone
4.3% 12
Android tablet
10.5% 29
None of the above
50.0% 138
Voters 276
Which of the following are you planning on buying wargames for in 2011-2012 (if any)?
PC
36.5% 107
Mac
7.5% 22
iPhone
5.5% 16
iPad
30.0% 88
Android smartphone
4.4% 13
Android tablet
6.8% 20
None of the above
42.7% 125
Voters 293
What's holding you back from playing wargames on electronic devices, or playing more wargames on electronic devices? Why do you keep saying None of the Above? :)
There aren't any to buy for the platform I want play on (which is... )
33.7% 88
I like the face to face interaction of boardgames too much
31.0% 81
VASSAL fills the niche for me
27.6% 72
The AI opponent is always too easy to beat
14.2% 37
I don't have any electronic devices to play on
3.8% 10
The cost
14.9% 39
I don't have the time, all my gaming's face to face
11.9% 31
Other (and if it's other, please say why below)
12.6% 33
Voters 261
This poll is now closed.   301 answers
Poll created by mikekreuzer
Closes: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks for your time, appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't enjoy playing wargames on a screen that much. Maybe when I get a 24"x32" touchscreen I'll feel differently about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
I just don't enjoy playing wargames on a screen that much. Maybe when I get a 24"x32" touchscreen I'll feel differently about that.

Kinda how I feel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
a. Where's mah Linux?!!!!!!!!

b. I dislike on the computer - but I ain't
all that into face-to-face either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
calandale wrote:
a. Where's mah Linux?!!!!!!!!

Whoops, sorry man - I forgot about you guys ... the poll is about buying things though.

Followers of the mighty penguin will have to be "other".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: I dislike pan&zoom interfaces. Even on my 1920x1200 monitor, I can barely stand the use Vassal. A hand-held device would be much worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Linux is not PC??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
_Kael_ wrote:
Linux is not PC??

As much as Mac I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
You can run Linux on a toaster if you want to desperately enough... for now all flavours of Linux = other, and some version of Windows = PC.

You can blame the pollster or the inability to edit polls here once they're saved. (Mostly the pollster though, Linux really did just slip my mind.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikekreuzer wrote:
You can run Linux on a toaster if you want to desperately enough... for now all flavours of Linux = other, and some version of Windows = PC.

You can blame the pollster or the inability to edit polls here once they're saved. (Mostly the pollster though, Linux really did just slip my mind.)
This basically sums up why I don't use Linux.
I jammed a CD in my toaster and guess what? It didn't run Linux.

Linux will run on anything. You just need to be an engineer to get it to work.
zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Screen is too small.

And obsolescence is a concern (I've got quite a few coaster of obsolete wargames that I can't run without going through gyrations).

Reality's OS is more stable, reliable, and there's no worry about backwards compatibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvinarcik wrote:
Reality's OS is more stable, reliable, and there's no worry about backwards compatibility.

I reckon you never played World in Flames, now did you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike wargaming on a computer for the same reason as several others - I find the filter of the computerscreen as a medium between me and the game to be much less capable than the immediate human/physical gameboard interface.

ie. I like to grasp the whole situation in a glanceand to rove my eyes as needed. I dislike having to rove the computers 'eyes' mechanically and non-fluidly as well.

I also find my life forces tiring after a while of staring at a screen, and there is something compelling about the electronic interface (by the effect of its wavelengths upon my wavelengths as far as I can tell) that I dislike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
mvinarcik wrote:
Screen is too small.

And obsolescence is a concern (I've got quite a few coaster of obsolete wargames that I can't run without going through gyrations).

HUGE Amen Brother to this!!! I was going reply to "other", but will include that comment here;

I've just about stopped buying computer games completely, as the compatabilty issues and not being able to return un-cooperative games (without extreem hassles, cursing, and threating to do bodily harm to salestaff, and rants/raves... all of which are really hard on the karma).
I've shelves of old games, most of which I can't even do anything with as the computer systems that they run on are defunct. Every so often one will be redone, (as currently I'm playing SPWWII, the old Steel Panthers game redone for Windoze) and it's great to have original books etc then, but most are probably due for the circular file when I finally have to make that toss.

IMHO I believe that the Windoze/Mac/continuous upgrading and changing has spelled the death of much of the computer game industry. Now it's a few high profile games, that have super graphics, bells and whistles, but the ones that used to come out by the boatload, especially in niche markets (read wargaming) just can't be produced profitably for shelf space or sales. To me, learning programming and such on 8 bit computers, and seeing what used to be done on our old dinosaurs, and comparing that to the buggy, sappish, and manytimes nonfunctional stuff of current glitz just is insane.

This has taken me from years ago being an avid computer hardcore fan, and put me to the point that I pretty much hate the interface, and despise the industry pretty much as a whole. I've come several times to the point in my life that I've just about tossed them all, and become a NON-computing person. Heck, it'd mean I'd have much more time to get on the bike and ride, than be reading fun stuff at the BBGeek, LOL!

Now, to a computer programmer... I alwasy wondered WHY did no one EVER take ASL and make it into melded computer and boardgame? So that you could play on the board, without remembering ALL the rules, have a TRUE fog of war (ie umpired by computer), but yet play with the great visuals that are provided on the actual map with counters etc. ??? (And I'm not familiar with Vassel, so I maybe just behind the curve on this, and if so I MIGHT have to learn yet another system once more.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see my Blackberry Torch smartphone listed, but I also own a PC and an IPad (well - technically, it's my wife's, but I use it quite a bit as well!) Regardless, I wouldn't mind playing wargames again on the PC - used to do it in the 90's and early 2000's (Panzer General, Allied General, PG II, People's General, and all of the old Talonsoft games being favorites). However, as others have noted, constantly changing OS made all of my old favorites obsolete. I don't want to deal with Steam or other services, or try to figure out how to get my Vista machine to emulate a Win95 OS. Also - there are very few outfits that still make PC wargames, so there's not much selection. Frankly, FTF gaming with good ol' cardboard is better for me in virtually every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skeeve Yoshikawa
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I do play wargames on another electronic device-- a Nintendo DS.

The quality and quantity of turn-based strategy games for the DS is
rather good. From the Advance Wars: Dual Strike series
to a rather good version of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
and I also own Panzer Tactics DS
which is very similar to the old Panzer General PC games.

Plus they all fit in my pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Skeeve wrote:
Actually, I do play wargames on another electronic device-- a Nintendo DS.

The quality and quantity of turn-based strategy games for the DS is
rather good. From the Advance Wars: Dual Strike series
to a rather good version of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
and I also own Panzer Tactics DS
which is very similar to the old Panzer General PC games.

Plus they all fit in my pocket

Same here. In past years, I tried some PC wargames, but I was disappointed in most of them. Some (e.g., HPS's "French & Indian War") had lousy AI; some (e.g., Avalon Hill's/Atomic Games's old "V for Victory" series, or SSI's "Steel Panthers") were just too big and fiddly. I liked Sid Meier's "Gettysburg," but real-time features have never set well with me; so when that game stopped running on my system, I didn't bother to fix the problem.

Computers have spoiled me to the point where I can hardly stand to play a board game anymore, unless it's very small and quick. I'd usually rather play a pseudo-wargame on a computer or console than a real wargame that I have to fuss with all day long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ermj1986 wrote:
I generally do not play electronic games anymore.

I like the physical components and maps of table top games much better than their cyber counterparts.

"I love the smell of paper maps in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I looked at it. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that paper smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...victory. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
131 votes, that is an amazing response. Thank you one & all, & feel free to keep 'em coming.

And a totally unexpected set of results, for me any way. Around 35% of people here thinking of buying a wargame for their PC, but 25% thinking of buying one for their iPad - that is much closer competition than the PC's had in ages.

I was thinking about moving on to Android development, but it looks like iPad development may be the direction to jump in. Will keep an open mind.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play boardgames on a table... What is a boardgame without a board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there might be a bit of confusion with the poll. I consider "playing wargames on a PC" to include VASSAL. Are you only talking about PC games?

Interesting poll though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find any war games on iPad and the ones they call War Games are a joke. I found Norshima Hex (spelling??) and Ticket to Ride for iPad blush gulp

What is holding me back? No Vassal for iPad, once that happens I will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the spirit of the poll is for the OP as a programmer and so I doubt that he meant VASSAL, with all this talk of AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
coffee demon wrote:
I think there might be a bit of confusion with the poll. I consider "playing wargames on a PC" to include VASSAL. Are you only talking about PC games?

Interesting poll though!

Well you don't buy vassal, but if you want to include vassal as a current PC game, sure. [EDIT: Though Eric's right, I didn't really intend that.] And thanks, the results as I said are fascinating, not what I expected to see at all.

zeotter wrote:
I can't find any war games on iPad and the ones they call War Games are a joke. I found Norshima Hex (spelling??) and Ticket to Ride for iPad blush gulp

What is holding me back? No Vassal for iPad, once that happens I will be there.

That's been my experience (my limited experience, I looked but I don't own one so I didn't look very hard). I do expect there'll be some games out, GMT for example are looking around for developers.

I don't know of anyone working on an iPad version of vassal though - there may be someone but they've kept quiet about it so far. You may have to wait a while.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Project Simonsen can port all the wargames onto iPad, I would buy iPad and the wargames immediately, both board and electronic version. They are simply different experiences. Plus, I expect good and hard to beat AI too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.