Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 1st Session: Wrong Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corfe 83
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I played a 5-player game of Castle Ravenloft at PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) this weekend (4 of us had played D&D before, and 2 of us had played Castle Ravenloft once before). We played Adventure #6 (Dracolich).

Since we had 2 players who had played once before, we didn't read through the rulebook very carefully, and ended up missing out on 3 rules that make the game much, much easier. whistle

1) We didn't realize at the beginning of the game you don't start with regular treasure cards, you start with "adventure treasure" cards. I feel the rules are not as clear as they could be about this.
2) We didn't notice you gain treasure cards for each monster you kill. We thought the only way to get more treasure cards was through encounter cards.
3) We didn't realize you pooled the party's experience, to be spent by anyone. So we could have avoided several severe encounters that happened to be drawn by players who hadn't killed many monsters, and the guy who rolled a natural 20 (but didn't have much exp) could have leveled up.

Without these rules, the game is absolutely brutal, and probably almost impossible. We were dead before even discovering the Dracolich.

We all look forward to another opportunity to play, correctly next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
corfe83 wrote:

1) We didn't realize at the beginning of the game you don't start with regular treasure cards, you start with "adventure treasure" cards. I feel the rules are not as clear as they could be about this.

My humble question: where did you take this from? Adventure treasures are specific for some quests.
Each adventurer gets exactly one "regular" treasure at start of an adventure (redraw blessings and fortunes, as it must be an item).

corfe83 wrote:

2) We didn't notice you gain treasure cards for each monster you kill. We thought the only way to get more treasure cards was through encounter cards.

There is a better way to handle this.

corfe83 wrote:

3) We didn't realize you pooled the party's experience, to be spent by anyone. So we could have avoided several severe encounters that happened to be drawn by players who hadn't killed many monsters, and the guy who rolled a natural 20 (but didn't have much exp) could have leveled up.

Wow again! Where is that rule written? The only thing that is shared are XP for killed villains.

Slightly puzzled ...
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is incorrect. The Adventure treasure cards are only for specific adventures. Each player starts with a regular treasure. But in CR, most regular treasures were fortunes or blessings that often would not be helpful at the start.

The rest of the stuff is correct. However, I have to wonder how these rules got messed up if two people had already played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tuner 13 wrote:
corfe83 wrote:

My humble question: where did you take this from? Adventure treasures are specific for some quests.
Each adventurer gets exactly one "regular" treasure at start of an adventure (redraw blessings and fortunes, as it must be an item).

corfe83 wrote:

There is a better way to handle this.

corfe83 wrote:

Wow again! Where is that rule written? The only thing that is shared are XP for killed villains.

Slightly puzzled ...
U.L.H.

Redrawing regular treasure until you got an item is not from the CR rulebook. That rule did not come about until the Wrath of Ashardalon rules.

And all XP is shared amongst the whole party, which is definitely in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corfe 83
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So the rule book is correct on #1, but drawing a fortune card does seem really silly (adventure gained on previous adventures, and I'm forced to gulp it down on the first turn - things like "burst of speed" or whatever it's called that I drew is so useless in that situation!)

Thanks for clarifying these. Hopefully next time we get a chance to play, we'll play (more) correctly!

Edit: And yes, I'm also dismayed at how much we got wrong, considered 2 of our group had played once before. Not one of our proudest moments, that session. My lame excuse is that we were slightly rushed, as PAX was about to end, and we wanted to finish before we had to return the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corfe83 wrote:
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So the rule book is correct on #1, but we missed where it said to redraw blessing / fortune cards.

So we don't share all experience, just villain experience - hmm. I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for clarifying these. Hopefully next time we get a chance to play, we'll play (more) correctly!

Edit: And yes, I'm also dismayed at how much we got wrong, considered 2 of our group had played once before. Not one of our proudest moments, that session.

The CR rulebook doesn't tell you to redraw blessings & fortunes, that rules was added in the Wrath of Ashardalon rulebook.

And you do share all experience, not just from villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corfe 83
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Replied before I saw your post, DoomTurtle, and then after I saw you posted, I edited my post inline.

This thread's a mess now, but thanks again for the helpful replies everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

Redrawing regular treasure until you got an item is not from the CR rulebook. That rule did not come about until the Wrath of Ashardalon rules.

It's actually been errataed into the CR rulebook (check out the PDF on Wizard's site).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, as long as you now know what you're doing! The fortunes/blessings are usually a waste before you start, which is why they changed it in the next game. They even made WoA's treasure deck all items, and removed blessings/fortunes completely. But it looks like they are bringing some back for Legend of Drizzt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

It's actually been errataed into the CR rulebook (check out the PDF on Wizard's site).

-shnar

Yeah I know it has been now, but they wouldn't have known that referring back to it at PAX with just the CR rulebook available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corfe 83
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Got it. I'm sure the next session will be much more survivable (and enjoyable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is mostly for future reference....

According to the current (as of August 30, 2011) Castle Ravenloft rules downloadable direct from Wizards of the Coast here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Castle_Ravenloft_RuleBook.p...

(1) In regards to the starting treasure, Page 4 "To Start Playing" states: "Each player also draws a Treasure Card. Draw and discard until you gain a Treasure Card with an Item on it."

(2) In regards to gaining treasure after killing a monster, Page 10 "Defeating Monsters" states: "When your Hero defeats a Monster, draw a Treasure Card (see page 13). You can only draw one Treasure Card per turn, no matter how many Monsters you defeat during that turn."

(3) In regards to pooled party experience, Page 14 "Experience Points" states: "When you defeat a Monster, the Hero who controls it puts that Monster Card in the Heroes' Experience pile." (The emphasis on "Heroes'" is mine to explain that it's a general pile for all Heroes and not individual Heroes.)

Also, Page 15 "D&D Adventure System FAQ" states: "Does each Hero maintain an Experience pile? Experience is a party resource. There is only one Experience pile, which all the Heroes share. Any Hero can choose to spend Experience to cancel an Encounter card or to level up. Players should decide together when to spend Experience, but the active Hero can always choose to spend or not to spend Experience."

Hope this helps!

EDIT: various edits for spelling... I've probably missed some others but oh, well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.