Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have released our Infinite Power Expandable Card Game on thegamecrafter.com The starter has two decks; Blaster (Condition juggling) & Powerhouse (Heavy defense, unreliable accuracy). We also released the first two expansions; Psionic (Penetrating damage, control) & Gadget (Versatility).

Now, we're trying to decide which expansions to release next. So far we have developed cards / styles for the following;
Animal - Take damage to cause damage
Biomorph - Heavy defense, slow to build, massive damage
Mystic - Tricky, manipulator
Parasite(?) - Steals energy from others to build up
Speedster - Fast, plenty of interrupts and surprises

There has to be a science of some kind to release / product mix that we're unaware of.
Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that with any expandable card game, you want to try to appeal to multiple types of players with each release. Mark Rosewater defines three different types of Magic: The Gathering players in this article.

It's a hefty article, especially if you're not terribly familiar with Magic: The Gathering, but I think this is one of many articles by Mark Rosewater that is relevant to game design in general and expandable card games, in particular.

Basically, you want to be sure to offer subtle card interaction and abilities for the creative players, strong themes and extremely powerful cards for the power gamers, and just plain good cards for the purely competitive players. And you want to do that with each set released.

I'm not actually familiar with the IP ECG, yet, but offhand, I'd bet that Animal would appeal to competitive players and power gamers, Biomorph sounds like a power gamer or creative player deck, Mystic seems good for creative players or competitive players, Parasite might entice all three player types, and speedster is likely appealing to competitive players and possibly creative players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hedberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
One clever thing Magic does is put cards from all 5 factions in each set. That way, players who only play red buy a pack, as do players who only play blue, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nate, great article. The hardcore MtG references were lost on me since I've only ever played the game casually, but good reference none the less. Since the cards can be mixed and matched to create unique decks without a penalty for using multiple archetypes, all expansions will include cards that could be integrated into existing decks. Hopefully, you get a chance to check out the game soon. You can watch the tutorial video on our website to see how the game plays.
www.bonsaigames.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian,
We would like to get a few more Archetypes released before we start releasing cards for the ones we've already released. We also have some new card types in development, which are useful for all Archetypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're at it, we've been looking for Opinions / Options for the name of our Parasite(?) Archetype. We've been wracking our brains looking for a good name for this one.

Does Parasite work? How about Power Leech? Maybe Siphon? Rogue would likely be infringing on something.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sponge? Copycat? Mimic? Mirror? Drainer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions Nate!
We actually have a Copycat Archetype in development (shapeshifter who copies powers).

Hadn't thought of Drainer though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.