Subject: Combat without dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Since one of the designers posted this in another thread here, I thought it would be nice to elevate this variant into its own subject, thus making it available to a broader audience who might enjoy it:

engelstein wrote:

FWIW, we did experiment with a zero luck (at least, no dice) alternative for battles.

Basically it was this: When a Force attacks, multiply that attack factor times the number of units on the card. So if you had four units with a '2' strength that counted as '8'. For every '6' worth of strength you have you cause 1 hit. Any remainder is placed on the enemy Force, and can later be combined with other remainders to get an extra hit.

Another alternative we tried was the same as the above, but you roll a single die to get the remainder or less (so, for example, if you have '2' left over like the above you would roll a die and if you get a 1 or 2 you score an extra hit), and there was no carry-over from round to round.

I liked this conceptually, but there were a few issues. First, some folks were slowed down by the math, and it could get a little A/P-ish. Also, and more importantly, we thought it drained a lot of the fun from the battles, and the swings of fate you had to contend with, and it was a lot more obvious at the start who would win, and if, for example, it was even possible for the Attacker to win a Raid.

But feel free to give it a shot if you don't like the dice.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who enjoy draining the fun from the battles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These variants have been used by Axis & Allies players to remove/reduce the luck in the game.

I wonder how much more AP-ish such a variant would be, since players will still be trying to maximize hits against the enemy and minimizing hits back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
While interesting, it would make the game a lot less exciting for me.

It would take all of the suspense from raids. And it would also take the stress from determining a retreat since you could determine exactly how many hits each side will make every round, do the math, and calculate when you should activate the retreat.

Some of my favorite memories have been timely retreats and sudden luck changes in battle. Especially with the colossus.

Although, as with any dice game, there is luck, I feel that generally the side that is better prepared tends to prosper. Victory can often be gained by a well timed "one-two" punch, attacking once to weaken the opponent, then attacking again right away to finish them off.

Also, in this game, rolls of '6' always miss, regardless of modifier. How would this mod take into account the constant possibility of missing? In addition, the Colossus also depletes missiles on a roll of 6. Certain tech cards are also dependant on scoring hits/misses, like rapid fire (units fire one volley, each hit begets a 2nd roll). Also, each faction has the opportunity to gain rerolls through various means. It just seems like there would be too much to "fix" to make it a math game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we felt the same way after a few trials. It wasn't a 'variant' that was fully fleshed out.

We have a 'campaign' variant that I'll freshen up and see if it can be made ready for prime time.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
We have a 'campaign' variant that I'll freshen up and see if it can be made ready for prime time.

You mean a campaign expansion which will sell for $35 (or more if it contains more than 15 components).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
engelstein wrote:

You mean a campaign expansion which will sell for $35 (or more if it contains more than 15 components).

Actually we were thinking about just posting it here, but that sounds like a much better plan!

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.