Subject: Question on game versions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a hole in my game room, there lived a gamer...

Ok, question for anyone who might be able to help me out, the information I have found online is quite limited.

I recently got a mint/unopened copy of the Fellowship Games version of this game, the package is sealed and it is about 18" x 30" in size (much larger than I thought!)...

As a 'collector', I have this game as part of my Lord of the Rings boardgame collection, but as a 'gamer', I want to know if there is any reason I should open/play this if I already have the ICE version of the game... the collector side of me is wanting to keep it mint in package, but the gamer side of me wants to know if there is a reason to open it and play!

Can anyone give me a rundown on what the differences are, specifically in game play since I can see the map, cards, etc., are all different.

Thanks!
D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
In a hole in my game room, there lived a gamer...

Ok, question for anyone who might be able to help me out, the information I have found online is quite limited.

I recently got a mint/unopened copy of the Fellowship Games version of this game, the package is sealed and it is about 18" x 30" in size (much larger than I thought!)...

As a 'collector', I have this game as part of my Lord of the Rings boardgame collection, but as a 'gamer', I want to know if there is any reason I should open/play this if I already have the ICE version of the game... the collector side of me is wanting to keep it mint in package, but the gamer side of me wants to know if there is a reason to open it and play!

Can anyone give me a rundown on what the differences are, specifically in game play since I can see the map, cards, etc., are all different.

Thanks!
D.

I have played both, but it's been years! Off the top of my head, there is really no reason to play the original Fellowship version if you have the ICE version. I believe the ICE version only adds cards, so you could remove the extras if you wanted (Spy cards, Shelob and Bilbo come to mind).

Congrats on your Fellowship Games edition. I've been looking for an "inexpensive" version of that for a long time....primarily for nostalgic purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply! I am almost half wanting to open it just to look at the different card art, it looks awesome!

It was one of the few Lord of the Rings/Hobbit themed games I was still missing... If I do decide to open it, I'll post pics/scans here.

Cardboard Carnage
In a hole in my game room there lived a gamer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both versions and I have 2 of the Fellowship Games version one is still sealed in its bag and one is open. The art work is fantastic on the cards, I am glad that I opened one of them otherwise it would never have been appreciated. Once open it’s a pain what to do with the cards and bits, I had to find a box to keep them in but the board is soooo big it stays out on its own. If you ask me the original packaging was crazy. If you don’t open it the game is easy to store. If you don’t open it you will never see the stunning artwork on the cards. My advice get drunk and then decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Tony, thanks! Now I have to open it!!!! lol.

I really want to check out the card art, they only give you a tease of it in the package!!!!

The person I got it from, put the entire thing in a big zip lock bag, I didn't even know they made them that big, so even if I open it from the original package, I'll still have a big bag to put the map in!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can scan all my cards and put them on the Geek so you can see them, this will save you opening your copy. Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the offer Tony! I'll probably decide this weekend, I have it put away now so it doesn't distract me during the work week!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to sell my mint/unopened copy (Fellowship edition), I wanted to post here in case anyone was interested. I don't want to sell it, but need money for a dental surgery.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140218/crap-my-teeth-h...

Thanks,
D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.