Chaos in the Old World» Forums » General

Subject: Who (or what) next?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew McCalman
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our gamer group loves Chaos in the Old World, and our love has only increased with the arrival of the Horned Rat. Now we are asking ourselves - What evil God comes next? Or will it be something else....new minis?

Our group wants more expansions to this game! And I kinda wanna see Gork&Mork or Khaine fightng for Control of the old world.

Whats the feeling on what will be next(assuming there is a next)?

The only thing we've decided we dont want is a goodguy - we like the badguy theme feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The "love" of the game you and your friends feel is correct, and it's because the game is made well. We felt it when Chaos first came out and that was because the game was well balanced and well done, interesting and fun and challenging.

Still, I liked the expansion mainly because it allowed me to add a fifth player, a quick look at my games will show we don't get a lot of 4 player games onto the table. Still, I was nervous the Rat would "corrupt" my beloved game balance when lo and behold testing it out showed that the game STILL played well.

I think after this point we may just be tempting fate however. I don't think we can add another player and still retain all the competitive back-and-forth Chaos 4 and 5 player has without making the board too crowded. Perhaps they could add another set of cards for all the players but right now I am more than satisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Chaos because it's such a clean, tight design - a stark contrast to the "kitchen sink" approaches taken by other FFG games (which are not my thing).

For me the expansion is successful largely because it preserves the original's simplicity. The Horned Rat, expert Old World cards and the Morrsleib decks are all modular and don't complicate the core rules.

At this point, I feel the game fits a suitable range of players, has a reasonable duration and level of complexity, and is sufficiently balanced thus further expansions seem unlikely.

With five sides already, Khaine and Gork and Mork seem better suited for separate, more focused spin-offs than additions to the existing game. However I could see modular "replacements" and minor additions along the lines of the new Runewars expansion working out.

Personally I'd like more Old World stuff to smash and tear apart. devil The semi-cooperative aspect of Chaos is still ripe to be mined (and could be done with a fairly small expansion), as even with Expert Old World cards it's still predominantly a competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
When someone first asked about an expansion for the original game, I said that I felt no need for one (other than maybe fixing the Upgrades so that there wasn't one "obvious" one for every power), but that if one happened I'd see what it was like.

I think my answer is the same. I don't feel like it needs one, but if they make one I trust (especially given the careful balance of this one) that they'll do it justice in the game design (and will hope that the copy editing is better).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a way for a sixth player to be added. Make the old world played by a player, replacing the old world deck with chaos cards and allowing the old world to summon heroes to protect the land. Actually, the old world would then be played mostly just like a chaos god but his goal would be to prevent the ruination of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McCalman
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm
Maybe adding a sixth player would cram up the board, but so far our games with 4/5 players(usual 4)dont feel crammed on the map.

I do like the idea of new minis and more old world to smash, but come on.....more evil gods gotta be good! Pile on the evil FFG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovács György
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quality over quantity. I don't feel that adding more gods and whatnot would open up the possibility space that much more - the only thing I'd have them do is ensure that what is there is also viable. So, balancing, basically. Haven't played the game with the expansion yet, but from what I gather it already did that job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I'd like to see is a new board/map. I know it doesn't fit with the 'lore' but, say, have a picture of Earth or Europe or whatever and have you try to corrupt that. As I say, not a canon thing, but hey, to me it'd still be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I would welcome a revised set of upgrades and cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.