Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably passing over the rule repeatedly, or can't find it in the 3 rules versions I've read.

Can you pay a Qi from another Neutral board for the possessed Neutral board? I don't think I've seen that question asked or answered yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Can you pay a Qi from another Neutral board for the possessed Neutral board?

No, there is no such concept as paying Qi between boards in Ghost Stories. You won't find a rule that specifically prohibits it, but there are an infinite number of things you can't do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I meant instead of shared between players. I thought perhaps the Qi could be drawn from the other Neutral board.

Played it three times last night, albeit with a couple of rules mistakes. What is your impression of the White Moon expansion? So far, I find it to be a very good co-op game - perhaps one of the best if not the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Well I meant instead of shared between players. I thought perhaps the Qi could be drawn from the other Neutral board.

Ah, now I understand, you're talking about when a Possessed board is supposed to lose a Qi, and the loss must be suffered by one of the players. The rule does make it clear though - a neutral board is not a 'player'.

JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Played it three times last night, albeit with a couple of rules mistakes. What is your impression of the White Moon expansion? So far, I find it to be a very good co-op game - perhaps one of the best if not the best.

I love Ghost Stories. I bought White Moon, but still haven't had a chance to play it. Been meaning to, but I've had no time this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like Ghost Stories then you should definitely get White Moon. However, if you are still having trouble with the base game you might want to wait before adding the expansion. Having to rescue the villagers in addition to fighting the ghosts makes the game harder but the rewards are worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trouble? - well - we didn't win - but we were also pulling ghosts in phase 3 of the Yin for the neutral boards (despite the big words no phase 3 lol), which I can assure you made it harder - lol. Playing this way, we actually managed to get to the ghost right above the incarnation - a pretty nice feat in itself. I was playing Blue and my friend was playing Green.

I'm not concerned about winning too easily or too soon - once you have done the Lord of the Rings a couple of times - Pandemic - Forbidden Island - and Death Angel - these don't get replayed a great deal. I will say that Death Angel can certainly be difficult - and as such - has the most replayability of the ones I mention there.

I see Ghost Stories being held in the same vane - and certainly look forward to the White Moon Expansion. The other expansions, particularly the ones based on Kung Fu movie icons, though cutesy, really don't appeal to me at all.

To be blunt,they don't really seem like they go with the franchise. I'd bet I'm not the only one that sees it that way and I'm new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two suggestions:

You might want to try playing with 4 characters, when you have less than 4 players. Then you can ignore the neutral board rules until someone runs out of Qi.

Also, try playing the base game until someone in the group gets bored with it, then pull out White Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its easy to make rules mistakes especially since the printed rules (at least my version) are so frustrating. For instance, there is some confusion over when you have lost the game as per haunted village tiles. Some have said at the third haunting, the game is over, others say at the fourth. Also, I was playing wrong for a long time in terms of moving your monk. The rules state if you want to move your monk, this needs to be done BEFORE an attempted exorcism/village tile aid. I was playing as if it were up to the player when during their turn they could move. Makes a big difference. Lol. Still, I LOVE Ghost Stories, it's one of my favorite games, and I really like White Moon, but it adds a lot more decisions/complexity to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ghost Stories rules have a reputation for being difficult, but in many cases I think it is undeserved.

joeyj1220 wrote:
Some have said at the third haunting, the game is over, others say at the fourth.

In the Introductory scenario, you lose when four tiles are haunted, and at the other levels, you lose when three tiles are haunted. Even in my early version of the rules, the description for playing at Normal, Nightmare or Hell levels says that for these more advanced levels "The Taoists lose the game if 3 village tiles are haunted, rather than 4." To me at least, that seems crystal clear.

joeyj1220 wrote:
Also, I was playing wrong for a long time in terms of moving your monk. The rules state if you want to move your monk, this needs to be done BEFORE an attempted exorcism/village tile aid.

There is also a flow chart on the back of the book to help people understand timing. Looking at the Yang phase, box 1) Move is at the top, and arrows lead from it to box 2a) Request help from a villager and 2b) Attempt an exorcism. Finally, the arrows from 2a and 2b converge and meet at box 3) Place a Buddha, yet many people ask about the timing of placing a Buddha.

I really don't think the rules are as bad as their reputation would suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.