Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prior this tournament, I had never played a game of Malifaux. Sure I'd done my reasearch, updating the wiki page "Pull My Finger" to assist in my gaining a deeper understanding of how each model worked, but I had never played a game and lacked the field experience. Diving in to a "trial-by-fire", I took the plunge with a 4-round tournament and this was my result:

My Crew
- McMourning
- Sebastian
- Chiwahuha
- Bete Noir
- x6 Dogs

Reserves
- x2 Flesh Constructs

Game 1 - McMourning VS Sonniia Criid
Simple answer - disaster - but an educational one (first game teaches you plenty). I have little knowledge as to why I chose to place McMourning so far away from Criid. I believe I was scared of the blasts she was going to let off and understood McMourning dies fast. Suffice to say, everything on my side dropped dead by turn 3. I even had a tone of Body-Parts to summon a Flesh Construct but no cards to cast it right (and even then - casting spells near Sonniia rarely works). In the end I learned my lesson - including when to let Bete Noir out (summoned her too quick without checking if I had a card to bury her if she died - big error).

At the end, my opponent let me know that to face Sonniia is a challenge to face - especially for a first game-rookie against a regular player. However he was very sporting and wanted to make sure I didn't feel too down about it as he didn't want me first game to influence my feelings on the result. I appreciated that it, smiled, took notes on what I had done wrong, and got ready for the next game.

Game 2 - McMourning VS Summer Teeth Jones
This was great. I've always been interested in the goblins but had no idea how they played. I assumed they would die fast, which made me wonder what the big deal was in playing them.

Turns out Goblins are MAD glass cannons. And in facing a no ranged opponent (McMourning), they deal plenty of damage and made it hard to keep up with them (they ran everytime I hit something). My two Flesh constructs died quickly to gunfire, and I was impressed. Fortunately I managed to bring Bete Noir onto their lines (learned from game 1) where she started carving things up. She got incredibly lucky with a "Flurry + Severe Spine" that paralyzed x3 Models in one go*

*: I learned later in game 4 that Flurry can only be directed at x1 model, meaning I wouldn't have used Flurry in this case and instead aimed to paralyze x2 models - which by the card flips I would have achieved

The responce to this was hilarious. My opponent, thinking he had little in the way of alternative, fired on his dynamite goblin - creating a mass crater that took out x3 Goblins, x2 Dogs, a Mosquito, and Bete Noir (she managed to successfully bury herself however). It was brilliant.

After that, McMourning finally got into the fray and put his scalpels to use - felling a Warpig before helping end Summer Teeth. Was hilarious fun. Though I won, had I lost, I would have stilled loved this game. My opponent was a blast.

Game 3 - McMourning VS Hoffman
Facing a construct crew when you're a Resurectionuist is intimidating. More so when Coppulous runs up and paralyzes your Master in the second turn. Fortunately my dog-pack surrounded Mr. Squid and eventually tore him to shreds.

Meanwhile, my Flesh Constructs were busy trying to act as a meat shield for McMourning while smashing their robots. I didn't have a lot of choice. Even while my opponent ran behind me destroying evidence, I just didn't think separating dogs to deal with it was in my best interest (especially if doing so would mean McMourning would die).

This ended up being an educational game. Both crew's tied by completing both their strategy and one scheme each. Hoffman learned that he cannot use his pulse of Flesh Constructs (because they are Constructs), and I mastered my Bete Noir summon and my Flesh Construct Summon. Both of which helped in the following game.

Game 4 - McMourning VS Rasputana.
I was dreading this Crew having read up on the Icequeen. I knew my only chance was to take her down before she started blitzing me with spells. All my training in the previous 3 games paid off here. I raced dogs up towards the enemy crew. One died from frostbite while another was injured but still alive, before my opponent ran out of activations (I outnumbered them with all my dogs). It was then I saw an opportunity.

I had McMourning charge his Wounded Dog, gaining a +3 Body Parts (x1 from the attack, x2 from the dead dog). In the death of the dog, Bete Noir appeared (with no activations left against me, she would be safe for this round). Fortunately I was in range to collect the body of the other dead dog, gaining x5 Body Parts, which were used to summon a Flesh Construct RIGHT ATOP OF RASPUTANA!

My opponent was gobsmacked, smiled, held out a hand to shake mine, and laughed. He was impressed and so was I. With the combined forces of Bete and the FC (supported by a pair of dogs lowering her DF by -2), Raspy died at the start of the second turn.

My opponent thought it best to at least grab a scheme for some VP. He moved Snowstorm onto McMourning and tried to take a relic from him. I burned Soulstones and cards to avoid the theft and was sucessful - using Scalpel Slinging to escape Snowstorm via Chiwahuha before he legged it across the field. My plan being, keep the doctor away for the remaining rounds.

I didn't need to worry though. Bete got herself in contact with Snowstorm and began hacking him apart with a Flurry. I watched my opponent loose his cards down to 1, before I made another attack - Slitting the Jugular vein of the big guy. With no cards left to avoid the autokill, the lug dropped and my opponent continued to laugh and request more Lube for the 'pain' he was taking in his nether-regions.

It was a great way to end my first Tournament and first set of games, and it was great fun. In fact I found I had placed 8th out of the 20 players which I was amazed at (being in the top 10 against opponents who were playing to win and were not holding back). I enjoyed the company of all my opponents and will be looking forward to seeing and VS'ing them all again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! I'm currently getting into Malifaux and waiting for my McMourning starter set to arrive. How long would you say these games took?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Thanks for the report! I'm currently getting into Malifaux and waiting for my McMourning starter set to arrive. How long would you say these games took?

When we play games, it takes about 45 to 60 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great report! Glad you had fun.

Bobby4th wrote:
DeePee wrote:

For how many soulstones? We usually play 35 and ours take a lot longer (usually double). But then again half the time is spent trash talking and drinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Thanks for the great report! Glad you had fun.

Bobby4th wrote:
DeePee wrote:

For how many soulstones? We usually play 35 and ours take a lot longer (usually double). But then again half the time is spent trash talking and drinking.

25-30, usually playing in a store with others around who we will switch off against and play another game, or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:

When you get familiar with the game a 25 stone game can run within 60 or a tad longer.

I ran a local tourney and we did 40 stone scrap games and had a 90 min game time cap with a 15 excess if needed and people we're running through 4-5 turns and the encounter end triggers at 6 turns.

It also depends on what the players are running. If I run with Colladi as a henchman and I'm playing a Som'er player, both groups have loads of models to activate per turn so that tends to slow things down.

Welcome to Malifaux by the way. Be sure give us some battle reports here about your new crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.