BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Craving some Zombies in my life .. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, I've been taking a look at what Zombie games are out there and it seems there's two main ones, with a good deal of love and hate for both of them .. So I thought if explained what exactly I'm wanting others might be able to help guide me to the best option ..

The one that's looking most attractive to me is Zombies!!! & a couple of it's expansions .. I love the art, love tile placement, love dice rolling, and love looooong games (seriously I'm the woman who buys two sets of Carcassonne so we have more tiles!) .. And despite all the negative feedback on the monotonous roll&move&roll&battle game-play, I think I'd enjoy it .. BUT, what I'm actually thinking is that with these components I could then come up with my own solo or co-op rules/game .. Yes I know it's meant to be about the cards and a cut-throat take-that kind of game, but I just don't get the opportunity to play with others who enjoy that style of game very often Trust me I would if I could! Truth is I'm most often going to have to play with kids or even more likely solo, and whatever I get has to be able to cater (in one way or another) to that requirement ..

Anyhoo like I say, my thinking is to use the tiles (although from what I read they're thin card), mini's (bag 'o babes/dogs etc), and 'some' of the cards to create my own game - or would I be better off buying Blue Moon mini's and DIY from scratch?

The other popular choice is of course Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game .. Now this already has that co-op element in it, but to be honest the video reviews left me feeling disinterested in the board & game itself .. I do like the characters and individual abilities though ..

Soooo, what do you think? Make my own, buy one of these and adapt it, or is there another game entirely I should look into??

I'd really appreciate your ideas or suggestions, and thanks for reading zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're going to be stuck playing solo, then All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed! will be a much more satisfying experience. You'll just need some minis (easily accomplished with the Bag O' Zombies and some good guys) and something to represent terrain. 2-D stuff printed on cardstock would suffice.

Don't bother with All Things Zombie: The Boardgame, it's not the same experience by a mile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Craving some Zombies in my "after-life"..
shake you're "doing it": THWRONGRY! zombiezombiezombiezombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This query comes up regularly, and has become one of my favorite recommendation topics.
Last Night on Earth is superior to Zombies!!! in every respect, hands down. Zombies!!! is not expensive, so what the hell, give it shot, maybe you'll like it, but most people seem to tire of if pretty quickly, as in, about 30 minutes into their first game. Last Night on Earth is great fun, as long as you don't mind a strong dice element.

If you have any inclination to build your own print n' play games, I strongly recommend Dead of Night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read World War Z!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!! is an awful game. LNOE is much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!!! for the figures. Buy a bag o' dogs too. Worth having if you are interested in developing your own game.

Download the files for Dead of Night and Zombie Plague. They are worthwhile DIY's if your the crafty type and you can use the Zombies!!! figures with them.

Buy Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and All Things Zombie: The Boardgame, two worthwhile purchases in my opinion. All things Zombie: The Boardgame plays well solo too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
Read World War Z!

I second this.

On-topic: I don't own any zombie games so i can't give a recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
super_d wrote:
Zombies!!! for the figures. Buy a bag o' dogs too. Worth having if you are interested in developing your own game.

Download the files for Dead of Night and Zombie Plague. They are worthwhile DIY's if your the crafty type and you can use the Zombies!!! figures with them.

Buy Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and All Things Zombie: The Boardgame, two worthwhile purchases in my opinion. All things Zombie: The Boardgame plays well solo too.

By far the best advice given so far. thumbsup

You could also look through the games that are currently available on the topic to see if there are any ideas you might want to incorporate. I have played a few zombie games, if you are interested please check out my geeklist below.

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered Zombies!! as a toolkit to make my own game, "Morbid". This was a co-op game with many changes inspired by Left For Dead 2, but also with a move toward generic horror and not just zombies. However, my group got sick of being used as playtesters and preferred to play finished games. So this project never went anywhere and I traded away Zombies!!.

The tiles are the best thing about that game. They are beautiful, though quite large. Each tile is a 3x3 grid, so even when all laid out, there isn't a whole lot of room to move around. Each building is about 3-6 spaces on each tile.

We added some house rules such as counting the "female" zombies as extra-tough "armored zombies", allowing players to scavenge for more ammo, and having an option to rescue civilians as an alternative winning condition.

But even with all that, I didn't find the game worth keeping. It was just too heartbreaking to see this beautifully crafted game with a set of rules that couldn't be used at all.

When our group played Zombies!!, we replaced all the dumb cardboard bullet chits with actual bullets... not only did this reduce frustration, but it added a lot of great atmosphere to the game. We didn't really do the same with the heart tokens, as we all agreed it would be too much work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Schreiber
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mb
I was a hardcore miniature wargamer for 10+ years who never really touched boardgames. Three weeks ago I picked up Last Night on Earth on a whim and have since purchased a handful of boardgames which I enjoy playing more than anything. Last Night on Earth is a superb game and everyone I have played it with, whether they be gamers, non-gamers, or even the harder-to-please die-hard miniature wargamers I often play with they have all enjoyed it enough to play 2 or 3 times in a row! I really can't recommend this game enough as both a fan of zombie horror and gaming in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading these replies I think I really need to give LNOE a go before I dismiss it, and hopefully be able to entice the kids to join in too .. I had another look and remembered it has different objectives to keep the game fresh - always a good thing!

I'll also take a good look at the PnP ones as I am the crafty sort, and off to read about the other suggestions now - Thanks Heaps for your comments/suggestions & ideas, Muchly Appreciated zombiezombiezombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eaten By Zombies might be something you would find interesting. Its not a miniatures game but I know I am psyched about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get Zombies!!! - it's just not good enough.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game remains the champion and for good reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two new zombie games out right now, both called The Walking Dead the Board Game. I've had the good fortune to actually play this one, and I found it very entertaining, if a bit long for most of the players.

It has its flaws, but overall I rather enjoyed it.

They're based off a comic book/TV show, that also looks enjoyable, though I've yet to give them a look.

Anyway, just a little fuel for your fire.
~Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My avatar approves of your purchase! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LNOE, hands down. Once you've played five minutes of Zombies, you've seen all the game has to offer. The expansions don't improve the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really I think you should decide what you want to ultimately do with it. If you're ok buying off of the shelf and playing with what you have, then invest in what you'll enjoy long term: I suggest steering away from Zombies!!!, although none of the options have a designed solo mode and you'll have to make up your own as you've noted.

If you are more interested in making up your own game based off of what is available, I might urge you towards Zombies!!! as it is the cheaper option and gives you something to start with. If you manage to make something that works for you, great! Expansions and bags 'o zombies are pretty cheap, and you can commit more to it to make it the game you want to play solo or with kids/friends. If you don't, well then you're not out a whole lot, are you?

Personally, I'll be checking out the All Things Zombie option! I love zombie trope, but I don't really have a board game I think does it justice, and I have a Zombies!!! game +1 expansion that I'm not doing anything with. Looking forward to Eaten by Zombies though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
new orleans
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is just my assumption, but, I figure people who think Last Night on Earth is the best zombie game just haven't played Zombie Plague or Dead of Night.

Zombies!!! isn't worth your time.

If you are playing solo then I'd suggest All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed (not All Things Zombie: The Boardgame).

Just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
new orleans
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Betote wrote:

My avatar approves of your avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFace wrote:
Eaten By Zombies might be something you would find interesting. Its not a miniatures game but I know I am psyched about it.

Totally agree, this looks a lot of fun, so much so I decided to support them on KickStarter hehe.

With regards to the other games though, LNoE is amazing, and the fact that theres tonnes of scenarios, and random pieces you can use to create your own scenarios means it's great fun and you can kinda invent your own game around that if you want. The modular boards mean you could even create your own to mix things up a notch.

I totally agree about Zombies!!! I just got rid of my copy the other day after three plays. I found it offered no real variety, and at times just felt broken. There's a guy in my group that's always stating that games are broken (usually when he's losing), but this game had us all sort of wishing it would end because it seemed flawed in so many ways..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WLhokies wrote:
Betote wrote:

My avatar approves of your avatar

My avatar, while being no where near as cool as you two are, approves of both your avatars.

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like to get your hands on a Zombie game that uses tiles & does it well then you can't go past Zombie in my Pocket. It's great both solo or with multiple players and really gives you that whole "up sh*t creek without a paddle" feel of a Zombie apocalypse. It also plays really quick, makes for a great filler or can be played consecutively. Great game for drawing others into gaming as well!

It really is a must have in any Zombie fan collection.

Mark's Zed list (linked previously) really is a great Zombie resource here on BGG and I highly recommend it.

As for all the comments of LNoE being better than Zombies!!! I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I also agree with everyone else. Save yourself the time & money of not going near Zombies!!! unless you are purely buying it to take out the parts for something else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only to be fair, not everyone agrees that you should stay away from Zombies!!!. In fact, it's one of my favourite games and almost everyone I've played it with has loved it.

It has a lot of chaos, a bit of hidden information and loads of direct confrontation. One could see how a community whose holy grail of gaming is Puerto Rico won't like a game like that too much, but I for one find it perfect for a gathering of friends who are there more to have fun and laugh at each other's misery than to measure their IQs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lester
United States
new orleans
LA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Betote wrote:
Only to be fair, not everyone agrees that you should stay away from Zombies!!!. In fact, it's one of my favourite games and almost everyone I've played it with has loved it.

It has a lot of chaos, a bit of hidden information and loads of direct confrontation. One could see how a community whose holy grail of gaming is Puerto Rico won't like a game like that too much, but I for one find it perfect for a gathering of friends who are there more to have fun and laugh at each other's misery than to measure their IQs.

I agree that it isn't a BAD game. It just don't feel its a good game either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.