Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A C hayes
Ireland
Co Waterford IRELAND
IRELAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi All , I have just purchased DoH , never played a LnL system before,what do you veteran players suggest for my first scenario,bearing in mind i have never played LnL before ?
ManyThanks
PS any top tips for learning the system ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chalk 2's Run is a good one to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
toner wrote:
Hi All , I have just purchased DoH , never played a LnL system before,what do you veteran players suggest for my first scenario,bearing in mind i have never played LnL before ?
ManyThanks

The UN Pakistani vs. Somali scenario and Chalk 2's Run as already suggested, I've used a few times as a teaching scenarios. Both are small(ish) and not too complex.

Quote:
PS any top tips for learning the system ?

Read the rulebook once or twice, but skip the sections on ground vehicles and helicopters for your first read through. Make sure you read the module specific rulebook - this is important for every module, but especially for the Somalis, since they work differently than most other units and their "spawning" sequence from the roadblocks is unique. Then play the scenarios above, which have neither ground vehicles nor helicopters (well, Chalk 2 has a helicopter, I think - one "Little Bird"? - I don't have the game in front of me - but you can play it without it - it just gets a little harder for the US forces).

Don't get bogged down in the rules. If you get stuck on something, write the problem down, then make an executive decision on how to resolve the situation in a "realistic"/fair fashion, then move on - Mark Walker's mantra is "less guff, more game", so just try to play and have fun, and worry about the details later.

After playing, go back to the rulebook and look up things you had problems with.

I really like the LnL system, but some rules in the rulebook could be clearer and/or better laid out/ordered. You may find some things in a section other than where you might expect it.

The reference card actually has a really simple combat sequence summary (in terms of adding things up and then comparing results) and once you get that sequence, the slightly tricky things, like spotting and low crawl and the rest, can follow.

In short, don't sweat it, and don't expect to get it perfect the first time through. Allow a decent amount of time for your first game, and have a patient opponent, or play it solo first. It works perfectly well as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to push some counters around on the map. Makes a lot of stuff very clear, and also quickly shows that the dense urban terrain will mess with your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.