Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Need birthday present suggestions for my 7yo dd... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pianojazz girl
msg tools
My dd will be turning 7 in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a new game to get her (us!). Currently her favourites are Bohnanaza, Sleeping Queens and Carcassonne. Ideas???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Qwirkle with an 8 year old girl who picked up the game right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Shanghaien
Sorry! Sliders
Water Lily
Elk Fest
Break the Safe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bender
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The new reprint of Survive! Escape from Atlantis is a ton of fun that works well with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! and Forbidden Island are huge hits with my 6yo daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Kate
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Sorry Sliders
+1 Forbidden Island

Also: Rat-a-Tat-Cat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece's favourite games are, in descending order, Sitting Duck Gallery, Hey, That's my Fish! and Alhambra(surprise surprise). She just turned 9 but I have been boardgaming with her during her school holidays since she was 7.5 or so.

We are planning to introduce Pandemic to her next. Yeah, she's quite smart and picks up board games really quickly. She has even managed to understand and play Agricola (family game) with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since she already knows and likes Carcassonne, I'd suggest the Princess and the Dragon expansion (presuming you don't already have it). All the 7-10 year-olds that I've played with, half a dozen or so, love that one. I find the dragon a bit tedious, but the kids love it. Some of the other mechanics it's got are really good though. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Olotka
United States
Centerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
My granddaughter, Tess (7) has been playing Cosmic Encounter since she was 5. I recommend playing two player games with young kids when they are learning, and give them the box cover as a shield to spread out and hide their cards. Use easy aliens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Hey, That's My Fish! and Forbidden Island are huge hits with my 6yo daughter.

Both are popular with my daughter as well.

She is 7 now and still likes those games but is way more into:

Zooloretto
Castle Panic
Castle Ravenloft

Basically anything cooperative or with animals is a hit with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pianojazz girl
msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've filed them away for future use. For now I think I will go with Forbidden Island. She is somewhat of a sore loser so I think a coop game would go over well. (And it's one that *I* want to own too! whistle )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pianojazzgirl wrote:
For now I think I will go with Forbidden Island.

Great choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pianojazzgirl wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've filed them away for future use. For now I think I will go with Forbidden Island. She is somewhat of a sore loser so I think a coop game would go over well. (And it's one that *I* want to own too! whistle )

If she enjoys Forbidden Island I would recommend Castle Panic as the next co-op game. It's theme is a little more interesting imo. There is also an expansion coming out for it that adds a Wizard tower. That alone piqued the interest of my princess and fantasy obsessed daughter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fox
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8yo daughter loooves Forbidden Island and we just played Castle Panic for the first time yesterday and she really enjoyed that too. In fact I believe Barnes and Noble (at least the ones by me) have 30% off Castle Panic right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiddnfox wrote:
My 8yo daughter loooves Forbidden Island and we just played Castle Panic for the first time yesterday and she really enjoyed that too. In fact I believe Barnes and Noble (at least the ones by me) have 30% off Castle Panic right now.

Also, if you still have a Borders open near you... they were carrying the game and it might be had for really cheap. They also carried Forbidden Island locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.