Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am proposing this method for determining a random draw of roles for a game of Rattus with the Pied Piper Expansion. (Since IMO shuffling is not an option with the role cards...)

I have assigned numbers to each of the roles:
(1) Emperor
(2) Queen
(3) Bishop
(4) Nun
(5) Crusader
(6) Soldier
(7) Mayor
(8) Courier
(9) Wizard
(10) Pied Piper
(11) Baker
(12) Serf
Roll a D12 6 times, and use the roles which are rolled.

If a double is rolled, use 1 of the original roles instead (which I have numbered for a D6).
(1) King (1-or-7 on a D12)
(2) Monk (2-or-8 on a D12)
(3) Knight (3-or-9 on a D12)
(4) Merchant (4-or-10 on a D12)
(5) Witch (5-or-11 on a D12)
(6) Peasant (6-or-12 on a D12)
Roll a D6 for each double rolled on the D12. Use the original roles as numbered. (Or use either of the 2 numbers assigned for the D12, if you just want to keep it to 1 die in the box.)
Example: If two 9's are rolled, use the Wizard and either (a) roll the D6 and add the corresponding original role, or (b) simply use the Knight who is assigned the #9 (out of the original roles), as the second 9.

You can also flip this mechanic--roll the D6 6 times (select original roles accordingly), and for each double rolled also roll the D12 (and select Pied Piper roles accordingly). This will give you a greater percentage of original roles if you are most comfortable with them and just want a little Pied Piper variety in your Rattus game.

EDIT:
Inspired by Flash Point's use of mismatched dice, I have fine-tuned the above proposal a bit. (I have found it to be a bit fiddly for my taste after several attempts, because re-rolls seem to cause an undue amount of work for such a simple setup.) While I have kept the numerical designations for the roles (the base game roles represented on a D6 and the Pied Piper roles represented on a D12), now I roll the D6 and D12 simultaneously three times. As a result I have 3 original roles and 3 expansion roles in each game. When I roll a repeat of something already chosen, I simply flip the die over to its opposite side and take that role instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with shuffling the role cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing "wrong with it," the dice solution I had proposed was simply an alternative.
Both methods obviously have their merits. With shuffling, you have a certain amount of chance as well as no additional equipment required or cost involved. With the dice, you have a greater measure of chance (that is not influenced by the eye of the shuffler, since all the role cards are 2-sided) and you get less wear-and-tear on the role cards.

IMO they are a bit too clunky to shuffle effectively, but perhaps others would argue that rolling is too fiddly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.