7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How to play Bridge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a simple tutorial out there to learn the card game bridge ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned by playing it on the PC.

Do you know any other card games?

It's really not as complex as people make it out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
The American Contract Bridge League has free software:

https://web.acbl.org/LearnToPlayBridge/

The hardest thing about Bridge is probably learning the bidding conventions. I don't think any program teaches that very well, but maybe they've come a long ways since I learned. (it's not like I'm 80!). My husband and I have always used Standard American bidding for the most part with some variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules of Bridge are not difficult but you do need to know how to bid in such a way that you communicate your hand to your partner most effectively. Judging the strength of one's hand accurately and communicating that to your partner requires knowledge of typical bids that describe certain hands. These "bidding guidelines" for lack of a better word must be understood even before you get into formal conventions which are bids that signify something other than they seem from the literal bid itself. There is nothing difficult about learning these but it is a bit of a time investment. The game can certainly be learned from software or books. Joining a novice or intermediate bridge class is a fun and likely more effective way to learn the basics with someone to guide you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The best way to learn it is by playing. So before you start looking for tutorials, make sure that you have people to play with. Joining a bridge class is a good way to do that.

Bridge is like chess, or riding a bike. The base is simple, but you can make it as complicated as you wish. For simple tutorials, think of contacting the national bridge federation of your country (the ACBL if you live in the States); they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
she2 wrote:
The hardest thing about Bridge is probably learning the bidding conventions.

OTOH, when you start you don't need to use many conventions. You can get quite far with just Stayman and Jacobi.

Standard American has five-cards high, doesn't it? It is perhaps easier to start with a system with more natural bids, where every opening bid promises at least four cards in that suit. Once you get the basics of bidding and playing, then switch to a more complicated system, with artifical one club bids and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5720/bridge-for-one might help you. There are several for sale on Amazon and probably elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.