Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Duke the Dog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cook
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have Duke, so my current sanity is 2 and my maximum sanity is now 5 . If I use the card's ability to discard it and receive max sanity, how much sanity do I have now? 4 or 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Once you discard Duke, your maximum sanity goes down one. You can never have more than your maximum. In your example above, I believe this will leave you at 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have 4.

You can't go over your max. Regardless how you order the discard and gaining of sanity you would end up with 4.

I just want to know what Ashcan does to Duke to get back that sanity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always imagined that he "released" him... y'know, "Go far, far away, boy, and don't ever come back to Arkham!" The good feelings that'd come with having saved the dog's life and the unselfishness of encouraging him to find a new home would lead to a new perspective and thus a measure of peace/sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
No way man. Duke valiantly charges into the fray of some terrible beast, perhaps even the ancient one, and his dog's incredible courage steels Ashcan's resolve, restoring his sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No way man. Duke valiantly charges into the fray of some terrible beast, perhaps even the ancient one, and his dog's incredible courage steels Ashcan's resolve, restoring his sanity.

Agreed. When a man loses a dog in an epic it is because of the dog's selfless act, not the man's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So then... what's happening when you release William Brinton?

Seeing Brinton charge into the fray of some terrible beast amuses Pete greatly, and after a laughing fit he gets a second wind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group always describes discarding Duke as eating him. We're bad people.

Before any animal lovers get upset, we say the same thing about discarding William Brinton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duke is discarded, not removed from the game. You can pick him up for two gate trophies down at Ma's... Pete just let him go.

(Same applies when you discard an ally to settle "The Stars are Right"... you don't bleed out Ruby Standish on a black altar in the downtown streets...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group always describes it as shooting Duke (but not in an Old Yeller way), though he inevitably comes back a couple turns later as a Hound of Tindalos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radulla wrote:
Duke is discarded, not removed from the game. You can pick him up for two gate trophies down at Ma's... Pete just let him go.

Sir William Brinton meanwhile... "I'm terribly sorry, but you appear to have exhausted my supply of bandages. Let me return to the Science Building to acquire some more." (Of course, when he gets there, he gets distracted by an arm-wrestling competition, and forgets to come back)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
Our group always describes discarding Duke as eating him. We're bad people.

Before any animal lovers get upset, we say the same thing about discarding William Brinton.

With William Britton, your solution is thematic; although, it isn't Britton who gets eaten.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.