Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticks.

Ticks are disgusting, gross little animals. So, when we saw a couple on our dog, we quickly got rid of them. Tweezers, a glass of alcohol and a few minutes. Done.

Or so we thought. A couple of days later, the little boy brought to our atention that there were "cockroaches" in the mutt's ear. Sure enough, this time we pulled a dozen or so of the bloody things (several of them were actually bloody, if you know what I mean). And then we got serious.

We went to the vet and were prescribed Asuntol, a very powerful tick killer. The dog got bathed and then we applied a tick repeller. The dog was also banned from the yard, at least until we find out the problem; I sprayed Asuntol over the whole yard.

A week later, 20 ticks. At this point, we started noticing a few ticks on the walls and one of them crawling through the floor in the middle of the living room.

Full out war developed. Last Sunday, I spray painted (I wish I were kidding) every inch of wall, floor and soil in both front and back yards. I sprayed the thing all over an old couch that the dog likes to lay on, and underneath our bed, where he likes to sleep. Monday night, the dog has a few ticks. So I spray his couch and surronding areas again.

Tonight, I check the dog. And I found (WARNING: Not fot the faint of heart):

Yeah, 30 or so of them. I really don't know what else to do. I keep visualizing some sort of tick colony behind a wall, where a huge mother-tick keeps sending soldiers --kind of like in Aliens. The thing is, we cannot keep this up, specially with two kids in the house. There has been talk of getting rid of the dog, but even in that case, I fear the ticks won't go away, but start feasting on us.

Has anyone gone through something like this? How do you get rid of ticks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Hey now, let's not be too hasty here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get rid of the two kids. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
wow, that is terrible! i am hoping they are dog ticks and not deer ticks (as deer ticks carry Lyme Disease.) seriously, that is awful. i wish i knew what to tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly my mouse problem doesn't seem that bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
wow, that is terrible! i am hoping they are dog ticks and not deer ticks (as deer ticks carry Lyme Disease.) seriously, that is awful. i wish i knew what to tell you.

He doesn't have a deer, he has a dog!!!! Silly boxing kitten!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
okiedokie wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

dogs can pick up deer ticks from deer!
silly...umm... motel sign!!!

my in-laws are from the sticks and their dogs are forever bringing in ticks from the forests of Western PA, and my mother-in-law contracted Lyme Disease from said ticks. (there's probably a mother-in-law joke in there somewhere)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you live out in the country where you could get some Guinea fowl? They will, for one thing, eat every tick they find ... and the noise they make will give you a new problem.

Edit: Chickens will also eat ticks, and make less noise, but Guinea fowl are nice because they range farther. Ticks are probably the #1 reason people get Guinea fowl.

Edit 2: I found this site's pdf helpful -- http://guineafowlbirds.com/Book-Living-With-Guinea-Fowl.html
There's also a Guinea fowl forum at Backyardchickens.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! They should be dog ticks, as I live near the center of a 4-million-people metropolitan area. I don't really know how they got here in the first place; the dog doesn't go to the park that often. He is usually inside the house, except for daily excursions to the backyard (a few square meters of soil) or the front yard (several square meters of cement floor).

The birds are a nice suggestion, but I live in a small apartment and the mere suggestion of involving even more animals in this circus will probably get me evicted (tough then I'd be clear of the ticks, so, upside). Getting rid of the kids could be an option, but it probably wouldn't solve our tick problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAAAAAHH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar problem when I was a kid. My parents solved it, obviously, but I was too young to remember how they did it.

But I found these:
Quote:
Answer:
Improve
The only way to be rid of ticks in your house is to follow these steps. Keep in mind that ticks can live up to a year with no blood supply. They hide in crevices in base boards and walls. If they are allowed to feed, the cycle starts all over as they will lay new eggs. It will take close to 2 years to rid your house of ticks if you are diligent.

If you have pets, you will have to enclose your pet to a restricted area outdoors. You can buy cheap fencing and using stakes, wall off an area of yard from the door to the fence. Keep this area mowed very short and treat the area and fence weekly using Brothers tick solution using a sprayer. You can buy this at Home Depot. Do not buy commercial products as they are expensive and not necessary. If you use a pest professional, you will still have to treat weekly for a year and this is very costly.

In home, remove all carpets. You do not have to get rid of them but you will have to store them in a place where they are not close to a blood supply source. Spray baseboards and corners weekly using Brothers tick solution and sprayer. Dusting with Seven Dust does not work! Vacuum daily and replace bag after vacuuming. This is daunting but very necessary.

Finally, treat your pet with regular baths,combing and tick prevention medicine. Petcor flea spray also works great.

Quote:
TICK CONTROL:

1. The infested house and/or kennel should be thoroughly cleaned in order to eliminate as many ticks as possible. Vacuuming is very helpful inside. Pet bedding and pet areas should be cleaned well.

2. Kennels, dog houses, and structures occupied by pets should be thoroughly treated to control ticks that have dropped off the dog and that reside in harborage areas.
Residual insecticide sprays and dusts should be applied carefully to all potential tick harborage areas.

Ticks like to reside in the upper portions of structures in cracks and crevices and the areas used by dogs.

Recommended residual insecticides inside would be Bifen IT or Conquer

Non residual space sprays that contain Pyrethrins such as CB 80 may be useful to supplement the residual sprays. It may used on a daily basis and is a contact killer.

Recommended dust would be:

Drione Dust(for pet bedding) or Delta Dust-in cracks and crevices . Infested pet bedding should be washed.

Quote:

Dealing with a tick infestation
* 1 Spray the entire house thoroughly with insecticide. Much like fleas, ticks can lay an unbelievable number of eggs and the infestation will spread rapidly if not controlled, but a single thorough spray treatment will kill both eggs and ticks. Spray all fabric surfaces like carpets and furniture (including the sides and backs).
* 2 Spray walls and baseboards. Ticks climb and will hide in baseboards, waiting for opportunity.
* 3 Treat storage areas like cupboards, closets, trunks and boxes. Ticks can hide anywhere. Wash bedding in hot water.

Prevent Re-infestation
* 1 Mow your lawn and trim your bushes. Ticks prefer long grass, so keeping your yard groomed helps keep the tick population down. Animals and people pick them up by brushing against them; ticks do not jump.
* 2 Spray your yard and bushes with an insecticide made to kill ticks. Ticks are arachnids, eight-legged insects, more closely related to spiders than to fleas. Check the label carefully to be sure you're spraying the correct type of insecticide.
* 3 Treat your pets with preventative care like Preventic. One Preventic collar should kill ticks for about three months without harming the animal. You don't need a prescription to buy it, but it's hard to find in retail stores. Shop online or ask your vet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:

* 1 Mow your lawn and trim your bushes. Ticks prefer long grass, so keeping your yard groomed helps keep the tick population down. Animals and people pick them up by brushing against them; ticks do not jump.

Ticks DO jump. I've seen them do it. Talk about scary.

Never had a major infestation, but then, we treat our dog monthly so the boogers never get time to feed and reproduce.

Living in the country, though, there's plenty of opportunity for them to get on you, especially deer ticks and we have plenty of deer around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Ticks DO jump.

Oh? They say they don't. Did it have a tiny pole? Could be a tick athlete.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pccommonticks.htm
Quote:
Ticks wait for host animals from the tips of grasses and shrubs (not from trees). When brushed by a moving animal or person, they quickly let go of the vegetation and climb onto the host. Ticks can only crawl; they cannot fly or jump.

http://www.tickinfo.com/
Quote:
To begin with, ticks don't fly, jump or blow around with the wind; these suspects are not ticks.

And that's how far I'll go on my tick research day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

If you can see them, they're regular ticks. Deer ticks are so tiny they're almost impossible to see. (I had one once. Looked like a scab the size of the point of a needle. Thankfully, they have to be attached for a few days before they can pass on Lyme and I caught the little bastard early.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur is correct: ticks do not jump.

Deer ticks and Lyme disease are not the only tick borne diseases to worry about. The CDC has a good set of pages about TBD's.

The three quotes above are a good starting point. In eradicating ticks or fleas, it's important to remember that they spend most of their time away from the host. It is more important to treat the environment. Some remedies kill ticks in more than one part of the life cycle. Applications must be repeated over a period of time to ensure getting all of them. Given that you live in an apartment, I wonder if the entire building is infested? It may also be worth considering a topical preventive for your dog, such as Frontline, to help prevent new ticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Thankfully, they have to be attached for a few days before they can pass on Lyme and I caught the little bastard early.)

That's an estimate I'm wary of. For Lyme specifically, I've read articles that state as little as two hours of feeding is adequate, and others that state 12 or 24 hours.

For removal, my tool of choice is now a tick hook. It's placed between the tick and host, then used to pull the tick away. No squeezing, so much less chance of injecting blood from the parasite to the host.

ETA: tick hook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Suddenly my mouse problem doesn't seem that bad

Your dog is infected with mice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
okiedokie wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

dogs can pick up deer ticks from deer!
silly...umm... motel sign!!!

my in-laws are from the sticks and their dogs are forever bringing in ticks from the forests of Western PA, and my mother-in-law contracted Lyme Disease from said ticks. (there's probably a mother-in-law joke in there somewhere)

This is what happens wjen Deers and dog lie down together (which reminds me of a (genuine) story, The caretaker at the old school where my gaming group used to USE told us that during the war he once slept with a camel (we did not ask for details) and caught flees of it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution: Be more like the typical Texan, and instead of complaining about it, brag about how your tick infestations are bigger in Texas! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready for a disgusting little story?

My wife, who grew up in a somewhat rural area of NW Arkansas, told me about one way that her and her little sister (when they were in first or second grade) used to have "fun". They had a dog that lived outside and always got a lot of ticks. Well, the girls did not understand fully what they were "playing" with, but they used to pluck the ticks off the dog and pop them on the driveway by throwing them hard on the ground. She explained that they didn't realize that they were bugs and thought that the fat, blood-gorged ticks were little berries stuck to the dog. Her mom and dad were always wondering why there were what looked like little squished berry marks all over the driveway when they didnt have any berry producing plants on the property. And yes, after she told me this I gave her no end of grief about it. I asked her if this was how Arkansas kids have fun in he summer. I still give her crap when we go to visit her mom and when she looks bored I ask if she wants to go tick squishin'. She just shoots me the laser eyes and doesnt say a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, they DO jump. Of course, none of them have been engorged, but still flat. I've seem them jump off my dog onto me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Deer ticks and dog ticks are just the common names for two different species of ticks. Deer ticks are about the size of a sesame seed, and dog ticks are much larger. You don't get deer ticks from a deer and dog ticks from a dog -- they're just named that way. Apparnetly there's also the Lone Star tick (see link below).

It's kind of odd that you're getting them at this time of year and in your location, since it's much hotter than their preferred feeding temperature. You might want to compare pictures to what you saw to figure out which kind your dealing with, then you can read up on their life-cycles to figure out where they're coming from. In Central Georgia, our main problem is with deer ticks, but in the spring and early summer.

http://www.path.sunysb.edu/labsvs/tickpics/TICKpic.htm

Are you sure these are new ticks, and not some that have come out of his couch or that you may have missed the last time you checked him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Are you sure these are new ticks, and not some that have come out of his couch or that you may have missed the last time you checked him?

Take em to the vet, he should know what they are.
I'd move the dog, kids, and others out, and fumigate.
I feel all itchy just thinking about it.

shuddddder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.