Popular Tags: [View All]
Son of Burrito Bean III
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the Game of Thrones core set. I've played a couple games with a couple friends of mine, and we see ourselves playing this one a bit more periodically (especially if we can find a fourth player--anyone in the Madison, WI area interested in joining us?).

One of these friends has his bachelor party coming up. As a gift I purchased him the core set. I have also ordered 4 of the house expansions: Queen of Dragons, Kings of the Sea, Kings of the Storm, and Princes of the Sun.

I would like to include two of these expansions in the gift to him, accompanying the core set. I will keep the other two for my own deckbuilding purposes, and my hope is to create a somewhat fair balance between the two of us.

He seemed to enjoy playing with Targaryen, so I'm definitely giving him Queen of Dragons. So which other one do I give him, and which two do I keep for my own deckbuilding? Is there really a "fair" balance that I can create between the two collections?

I figured one route I could go is to keep the Baratheon expansion so we both have house expansions that bolster a deck that comes with the core set, and then basically flipping a coin between Greyjoy and Martell. I just don't want to give him the two best expansions for crafting a deck while keeping the two crappiest ones for myself (Yeah, it's a gift, but I don't want to always get my butt whupped! whistle).

So does any of this really matter? Should I just give him the two houses he likes from the books the most?

If you could kindly give any advice, please assume for my purposes that we will not be purchasing any of the chapter pack expansions.

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter a whole lot. If he's really interested in playing Targaryen then Ser Jorah Mormont from Princes of the Sun is a solid boost. None of those sets are crazy overpowered compared to the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that Greyjoy and Martell aren't in the core set, I guess the question is would he enjoy building a deck for a new house or improving the card pool of a house in the core set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you're in a great area to play. Contact Erick Butzlaff (finitesquarewell), the 2009 and 2010 World Champion, on the FFG forum. He and other guys are in the Madison area, and probably meet up on a fairly regular basis.

My advice is to take all the house cards from any given set, and then draft the neutral cards. You could get by with one copy of the dual-house cards from Prince of the Sun, which are phenomenal. You should also divide up the plots so that each of you has one copy of each plot. The hardest part will be the neutral cards because there are fantastic neutral cards in every expansion.

Another small piece of advice is to actually play each house. Sometimes players don't actually like how any given house plays, even if it's their favorite house from the books.

P.S. I wish you were my friend when I had a bachelor party...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tagore Nakornchai
United Kingdom
Putney
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would introducing newbies to the horrors of Butzlaff's Martell decks be the best way to get new players into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. Losing is learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a wild party. Just remember ...
What happens in Westeros stays in Westeros!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.