6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: pergamon vs thebes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I want to buy a game with an archaeolgy theme.Can i get some thoughts from the rest of you as to which game would be the better purchase.Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Thebes, but not Pergamon. It would help to know:

- How many players would you typically play with? (Pergamon requires a neutral/dummy mechanism for 2p, but if you're ok with that, they probably both scale well from 2 to 4).

- Are you ok with a fair bit of randomness, that you can mitigate to some degree with advance prep? (Chit draws are one of the common complaints about Thebes, but a huge part of the game is doing proper preparation to improve your odds).

- Do you prefer fairly rich theme, or are you fine with thin theme? (Thebes theme is quite rich, so is probably richer than Pergamon).

- Do you want more direct player interaction (e.g. auctions), or more indirect (e.g. blocking)? Pergamon appears to be more direct, with its bidding, whereas Thebes is mostly indirect.

- How long do you want the game to take? (While 2p Thebes can take as little as 45 minutes, it probably runs longer than Pergamon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to ask if you were aware that there are other archaeology-themed games out there:
Good Archaeology Games
Top 10 Archaeology Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Strong theme is uppermost/number of players irrelevant and you allways need a bit of luck when digging for treasures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both. Thebes perhaps has a bit more luck involved when you are digging for treasures. Thebes takes longer to play and is more involved. I like them both but I think I like Thebes better. Pergamon is a well thought out auction game with a pretty cool bidding mechanism. But it feels like the choices you make after that are fairly obvious. Thebes has a bit more planning involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Sounds like Thebes is the one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.