Subject: I {heart} mommy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
The cashier at Carter's (a baby/youngster clothier) today offered my children a sticker each, in their choice of pink or blue, saying "I {heart} mommy".

At least it wasn't in Comic Sans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
wow, i didn't think anyone ever actually set foot in Carter's.
you are a trailblazer! no wonder you got stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
wow, i didn't think anyone ever actually set foot in Carter's.
you are a trailblazer! no wonder you got stickers.

Dude--with the coupon, that pair of sweat pants was $2.50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
It bothers me that the fathers get neglected. There are tons of baby books about mothers. I feel left out sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
sisteray wrote:
It bothers me that the fathers get neglected. There are tons of baby books about mothers. I feel left out sometimes.

There are so many relatively minor things to complain about with the situation. Most obviously, as a stay-at-home dad, Carter's made a deliberate choice to make my nonstandard status salient. Second, following their usual division into boy and girl sections, they clearly gendered the colors. Then there's the strangely self-defeating nature of putting praise of oneself on the clothes of people whom everyone knows are entirely indifferent to the message. It's not even original, or cleverly worded, or connected enough to their brand or products to constitute effective marketing.

Happily, I'm also able to adopt a more positive perspective when I don't feel like indulging my righteous SAHD anger. My kids were both delighted to get a sticker, chose based on their color preferences rather than the constant programming marketers are trying to push on them, and I expect that the overwhelming majority of Carter's' customers find the message vaguely endearing.

It just shocks me that they couldn't think of a way to accomplish all of that without encouraging the sort of thoughts I was having while writing that first paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

It bothers me that in any given mall, there are about 3 dozen women's clothing stores, and about 2 men clothing stores, neither of which I would set foot in.

Department stores like Sears or the Bay have an entire 70% of a floor = women's clothing, 20% = women's cosmetics, 8% = various women accessories (bags, wallets, purses, toe nail clippers etc) 1.5% = luggage, 0.5% = men's clothing.

I think department stores are going to push men to just giving up and walking around naked within the next 20 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
And the worst is that it is fashionable for women to wear men's clothes, and after that men cannot wear them anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
And the worst is that it is fashionable for women to wear men's clothes, and after that men cannot wear them anymore!

I've noticed this in the arena of names, but not clothes. Perhaps I don't make terribly fine distinctions, though--the only clothes I can think of which I'd call distinctively men's are pants, blazers, and ties, and I think we're still good with those. Maybe I'm out of touch and pants are a fashion faux pas.

Ascots, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in the mens clothing business from 1973 through 1989, I saw retail market analysis showing that the fastest turning inventory item in the retail world was womens shoes. In the mens business, the first item listed was underwear in 38th place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! You're the dad! Sorry, I couldn't tell from your name (all the Kelseys I know are female), and I wasn't sure what the problem was!

I have several comments, but they're all pretty short.

Very troubling. soblue

I like Carter's clothing. They seem to last longer than anything else, and they're very comfortable. I was sad that I can't find any of their clothes for my now 3-year-old. I didn't know they had they're own stores!

All those clothes stores only for women don't do a bit of good if you're 6-feet-tall. There are big and tall men's stores everywhere. Where are the tall women's stores? And don't tell me Lane Bryant, because they stopped carrying tall sizes 15 years ago. Tall women's stores don't exist. I have to buy everything from specialty shops online. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, Daddy can go to hell. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Ah! You're the dad! Sorry, I couldn't tell from your name (all the Kelseys I know are female), and I wasn't sure what the problem was!

Very troubling. soblue

I like Carter's clothing. They seem to last longer than anything else, and they're very comfortable. I was sad that I can't find any of their clothes for my no 3-year-old. I didn't know they had they're own stores!

All those clothes stores only for women don't do a bit of good if you're 6-feet-tall. There are big and tall men's stores everywhere. Where are the tall women's stores? And don't tell me Lane Bryant, because they stopped carrying tall sizes 15 years ago. Tall women's stores don't exist. I have to buy everything from specialty shops online. angry

Closest to you is:
Distance 45.29 miles
Carter's Tanger Outlet Center - Locust Grove
1000 Tanger Dr., Suite 221
Locust Grove,GA 30248
770-957-7235

Sunday: 11:00am - 7:00pm
Monday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Tuesday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Friday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 9:00pm
Labor Day, September 5, 2011: 9:00am - 6:00pm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
amwiles wrote:

Very troubling. soblue

I like Carter's clothing. They seem to last longer than anything else, and they're very comfortable. I was sad that I can't find any of their clothes for my no 3-year-old. I didn't know they had they're own stores!

Yeah--figured it was time I picked up the SAHD microbadge, partly to help with the identification of my gender (while my avatar is a photo of me and my daughter, I can understand how some might think it was simply a particularly handsome man, along the lines of mistermarino's avatar).

Partly, I just feel like I was so proud of New York for permitting gay marriage that I guess I thought policies which deliberately excluded gay couples would be on the decline. I mean, hey, I'm the primary caregiver and I still let my wife do most of the shopping for kids clothes, so I concede the general accuracy of the stereotype they're working with. But if I were raising kids with a husband, I think this would be somewhat more irksome, especially since the issue was so recently given so much press that it seems so easy to be considerate about it.

I've seen Carter's stores most often in outlet malls, where they seem fairly common. This was one of the very few regular retail stores I've seen, but they did have stuff up to I think 6T, so you might be able to find it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

It is worse than that. Men's choice of what clothes they are allowed to buy is amazingly restricted, in colour and form. Men's shirts must have a collar (other than tee or baseball), and if not plain, only straight lines in strict geometric forms are allowed. No curves, swirls, circles. Men are allowed letters and numbers, in the form quasi-military/sporting outfits, and yes, there are paisley shirts and Hawaiian shirts, but those exceptions merely prove the rule.

Men's trousers must be full length, except for shorts which are knee-length. Likewise, men's coats must be full length, or half-length. Men's sleeves must be full-length. I could go on, and yes, you could spot the odd exception.

I won't begin on the faux crap that passes for suits.

Stand in your local shopping mall, and as people walk by, look at the huge range of styles, shapes, colours, patterns and combinations women are allowed, and then imagine men wearing them. Then look at what men are allowed to wear. The difference, when you get used to seeing it, is staggering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

I am always jealous in Summer time when I see women wearing short skirts, bare arms, and a very low neckline (though it is really appreciated, ladies), while I have to go to work with long trousers and a buttoned-up shirt, with a plain white t-shirt underneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really irks me when you want to buy a cool dinosaur shirt, bear or puppy sleeper or something fun with trains on it and it has a saying like "Daddy's big boy", or "Boys will be boys" or some crap like that. Why can't my daughter have a truck on her clothes? Same goes the other way as well, good luck getting a kitten shirt for your boy without "Little princess" or some nonsense somewhere on it.

By staying gender neutral people would buy more of their clothes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
+1

I am always jealous in Summer time when I see women wearing short skirts, bare arms, and a very low neckline (though it is really appreciated, ladies), while I have to go to work with long trousers and a buttoned-up shirt, with a plain white t-shirt underneath.

...and sandals while I have to wear socks and dress shoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
+1

I find it disturbing that many women where I work wear clothing that I would get sent home for wearing. They just call it by a different name: "This isn't a t-shirt, it's a blouse." No, it's a t-shirt. A rose by any other name still has short sleeves, no collar, and is made of cotton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Can't say I'd rather have women's clothing options. They get more options, yes, but far higher standards for fit and fashion which seem to me to impose some pretty substantial costs in both time and money, and seriously screw anyone with an unusual shape. Amy seems like a good example, but my wife is another--just slightly unusually proportioned, such that most things don't fit quite right. I can generally buy clothes with confidence without even trying them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What freaks me out is the sexualizing of the father/daughter relationship, like "Daddy Daughter Date Night", virginity pledge rings between father & daughter, and the whole "Daddy's Princess" meme. funny, there's no "Mother-Son Date Night", virginity pledge, or "Mommy's Handsome Prince" stuff.

Yes, little girls should be able to wear trucks, and boys dress up in cool clothes. Seems the only dress-up fun guys get is the historical reenactors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.