WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Anybody have experience of saving $ by having just the contents of a game shipped sans the box?

It cost me about $40 to ship a boxed game from US to Asia. I am thinking mainly older wargames that are mostly empty space inside the boxes.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own, but sometimes I just like looking at all the game boxes on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If volume is the issue, you could (very carefully) slit each corner of the top & bottom, flattening it out, then reconstructing the box at the other end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I am thinking of something along the line of stuffing a flat rate envelope full of rules, counters, cards and and maps of several games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of the Waz
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically you don't need the box to enjoy the game....

But then what would take up all the space on the shelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been made an option for me in the past.

But I like to keep the boxes, and I'm rubbish at fixing broken ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chooche wrote:
I am thinking of something along the line of stuffing a flat rate envelope full of rules, counters, cards and and maps of several games

If you're going to use a Flat-Rate envelope put a good stiff piece of cardboard in it. On second thought, don't use a FR envelope. It's too risky. I'd say put it all in a box that will fit everything. Perhaps a small Flat Rate box if you fold the instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
MilSims wrote:
I wouldn't expect too many games to have so much wasted space that it would make a significant difference in price.

Agreed. I think the biggest difference I've encountered comes from card games like GMT's Ivanhoe and Battle Line. The card decks and markers are thin enough that they can fit in envelopes and be counted as letters rather than parcels. Ghost Stories much the same, the weight of the components which take up only a third of the box is less than the "volume weight" or whatever the delivery company calls it. Just as a guess I'd say that if a box is more than half full there wouldn't be much difference. A little look at my small collection (not listed on BGG) suggests that most of the boxes are more than half full, even after punching counters.

chooche wrote:

I've never tried it with a wargame but "document sleeves" or similar are carried by couriers and express delivery companies at lower prices than parcels. They're designed for paper without damage so they should work. Consider placing the counters flat on sheets of paper or thin card and layering them and slip those into their own envelope since a bag of counters takes up more volume than a sheet of counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
chooche wrote:
Anybody have experience of saving $ by having just the contents of a game shipped sans the box?

It cost me about $40 to ship a boxed game from US to Asia. I am thinking mainly older wargames that are mostly empty space inside the boxes.

Thanks!

Take this for what it's worth, but it's always floored me that a USPS 'small' flat rate box can go almost anywhere in the world for $12 (fits Fantasy Flight silver-line games like Red November (before the reprint) and Citadels like a glove..with just a little bit of room to spare).

A medium sized-box? $40.

I could see it if the small box went up by 2.5x in price from domestic that the medium should go 2.5x... making it 25 bucks. But no, it's $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.