Subject: a 9/11 coloring book? really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://news.yahoo.com/9-11-coloring-book-criticized-depictio...

9/11 coloring book criticized for depiction of Muslims

AFP wrote:
A coloring book aimed at teaching children about the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 has generated controversy for its depiction of Muslims and interpretation of the events.

"It's disgusting," said Dawud Walid, director of the Michigan branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, who has lead the charge against what he sees as an irresponsible and dangerous book.

Every mention or depiction of Muslims or Islam in the book titled "We shall never forget 9/11", is accompanied by the word "terrorist" or "extremist" and there are no counterbalancing images or references to the Muslims who were killed in the attacks or were among the first responders searching for survivors, Walid said Tuesday.

Nor does the book mention that the vast majority of Muslims in the United States and around the world condemn terrorism, he added.

"It's silly to think that a young person who colors that book who has no contact with Muslims would come away with anything but fear of Muslims and thinking that Muslims are bad people," Walid told AFP.

Really Big Coloring Books publisher Wayne Bell insists that the book is an honest portrayal of events.

"We tell this truth and tell it in black in white," Bell said in a telephone interview from his St. Louis, Missouri office.

"This book is about 19 evil terrorists who murdered 3,000 people," he said. "It just so happens that the people who flew those planes into the buildings were radical Muslim jihadists."

The book was released earlier this month ahead of the 10th anniversary of the attacks and comes after the specialized publishing house had seen customers search repeatedly on its websites for coloring books about the attacks.

"We did a lot of research, talked to a lot of parents and the recurring theme we heard was do not make a book that's politically correct and is going to whitewash this event," Bell said.

People also wanted a book that would be patriot and focused on a theme that became the book's title: "We shall never forget 9/11."

Subtitled "The Kids' Book of Freedom," the book teaches children that "freedom-hating radical Islamic Muslim Extremists" attacked America because they "hate the American way of life because we are FREE."

Walid said this overly simplistic and populist interpretation of events is simply not true.

He pointed to statements made by Osama bin Laden and the conclusions of the US congressional 9/11 commission which found the attacks were rooted in a belief that American foreign policy and its 'immoral' culture are at war with Islam and Muslim countries.

The cartoon of bin Laden hiding behind his wife as he is shot by a Navy SEAL is also not a true depiction of events, Walid noted.

Bell dismissed the criticism as an attempt to exploit an "innocent book" to promote a political agenda.

The controversy has had a positive impact: all the headlines have spurred sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would any sort of coloring book be appropriate? Children using coloring books would be too young to remember and not old enough to have the maturity to deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought mine here:

http://www.coloringbook.com/weshallneverforget911coloringboo...

My kids are not old enough to remember, now they have a chance to learn to hate brown people and embrace the Patriot Act. For only $6.99! God Bless America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Why would any sort of coloring book be appropriate? Children using coloring books would be too young to remember and not old enough to have the maturity to deal with it.

Pfft, what kind of n00b at religious war *are* you, anyway?

It's precisely *because* children who would use a coloring book are too young to remember that they have to be constantly reminded that Muslims Are The Enemy And Are, Like, Totally Evil (tm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
I bought mine here:

My kids are not old enough to remember, now they have a chance to learn to hate brown people and embrace the Patriot Act. For only $6.99! God Bless America.

I'm trying really hard, but what the heck is that brown ball-like thing on the cover? It almost seems non-uclidian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
I bought mine here:

I'm trying really hard, but what the heck is that brown ball-like thing on the cover? It almost seems non-uclidian!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sphere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's right, you gotta turn them into patriots before they get a chance to think for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does bring up the question of what crayola color (s) best represents "tragedy?" shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Does bring up the question of what crayola color (s) best represents "tragedy?" shake

Terrorcotta?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for when the Enhanced Interrogation Techniques coloring book comes out where smiling detainees are put through a series of freedom-encouraging secret-releasing challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

Terrorcotta?

Burnt Umber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
I bought mine here:

Cthulhu was behind 11/9?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
That's right, you gotta turn them into patriots before they get a chance to think for themselves.

Its the conservative versio of Pokemon, gota brainwash them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Linked perhaps to this http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7366659#7366659, the desire to find somthing to hate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, never say we don't have freedom of bad taste in the U.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Maybe that's the "freedom" they hate us for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:

Just take them to a Fourth of July parade. SCIENCE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Don't worry, no one ever will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
now they have a chance to learn to hate brown people

Who said they have to be brown? I colored mine part red part blue. But then Sally came over and scribbled over the whole thing in green. I'm going to go push her into the dirt at recess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Fwing wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

Terrorcotta?

Burnt Umber?

Nope, that's freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
It has arrived. There is some funny stuff... a connect the dots Statue of Liberty that is so simple that there is no need to connect any dots to reveal it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
It has arrived. There is some funny stuff... a connect the dots Statue of Liberty that is so simple that there is no need to connect any dots to reveal it.

Good luck connecting the WTC dots after those planes hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
at least it's not a popup book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.