Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Catacombs: Cavern of Soloth» Forums » General

Subject: Wooden Pieces mishapen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of my copy's wooden pieces are oblong, oval or are otherwise irregular circles. They are still playable, I suppose, but I think any pretense of predicting how the pieces will collide will have to be abandoned.

No Mold though... (there were three dessicants!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the cards from the expansion don't mesh 100% with the first edition base game. They're a nicer linen finish but much less glossy and easy to tell apart from the base game cards. I had to sleeve everything with opaque backed sleeves, especially the items.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh -- I imagine the wooden piece shape is a defect that was out of their control, but I have a hard time understanding why companies have such difficulty ordering the same kind of card as the games they're expanding. So frustrating!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of mine were oval too. Oh well. One cannot expect monsters to be perfectly round. (Unless it is a floating eyeball or something...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
Ugh -- I imagine the wooden piece shape is a defect that was out of their control, but I have a hard time understanding why companies have such difficulty ordering the same kind of card as the games they're expanding. So frustrating!

Because someone has to set up the print run again, and if they're lazy or want to cut corners (chinese companies usually are) they just set them up "close enough".

Or, they didn't save the settings from the last print run.

Cameron
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
SlikkRikk wrote:
Ugh -- I imagine the wooden piece shape is a defect that was out of their control, but I have a hard time understanding why companies have such difficulty ordering the same kind of card as the games they're expanding. So frustrating!

Because someone has to set up the print run again, and if they're lazy or want to cut corners (chinese companies usually are) they just set them up "close enough".

Or, they didn't save the settings from the last print run.

Cameron


Or a different printer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They switched printers. This is covered in the FAQ on the website.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
discordjack wrote:
Also the cards from the expansion don't mesh 100% with the first edition base game. They're a nicer linen finish but much less glossy and easy to tell apart from the base game cards. I had to sleeve everything with opaque backed sleeves, especially the items.


I'm thinking of just using regular clear sleeves like I did with the base set. Do the backs really look that different once they're sleeved?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't so much the look that's different,although it's definitely noticeable, but the texture of the cards which are much crisper. You can definitely feel the difference when you're handling them and if you look closely you can tell the colors apart. But it's like that in a lot of expansions. My favorite game is Ghost Stories and the White Moon expansion has a definite different color. However, that doesn't stand in the way of my enjoyment of it and neither will it stand in the way of me enjoying this one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing last night, with sleeves, I decided that the minor difference didn't even matter. Will it really change the "strategy" of the heroes if they know that the next room is something from the Soloth expansion? I'm thinking, not so much. This combined with the sleeves makes the difference a non-issue for me. Considering the thickness of the cards, you should all be sleeving them anyway
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.