Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Rune Age» Forums » General

Subject: Are we getting expansions or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed my one play of this game, but it was pretty clear that there's not nearly enough card variety to sustain long-term play compared to all the other deckbuilders on the market. Most Silver Line games don't get expansions; has anyone heard anything solid on expansions coming along for Rune Age?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a Silver Line product, and unfortunatelly, is not getting any expansions.

It is such a pity! such a great little game, and so low replay value, because of the card variety
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is a Silver Line game and did had one expansion, Death Angel has had a couple, and Blue Moon had several, not to mention its boardgame version.

So we never know. It will depend on the sales success of Rune Age...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
So after one game you already need expansions?
Play all four races at once did you?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a betting man by nature. However, I will double down on FFG releasing expansions. Silverline or not. They'd be stupid not to. So far, it seems to have sold well. Plus, they have to have noticed the multitudes of expansions for many of the other DBGs.

Another thing: As of recently, many of the "Silverline" games have been changed to be called "Standalone Card Games." (Check the FFG site if you don't believe me.) This leads me to believe they are changing their format with them.

Also, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game has had two small expansions. Albeit print on demand ones, but still. The Anima: Shadow of Omega have had two others: Anima: Twilight of the Gods and Anima: Beyond Good and Evil.

The Blue Moon card game is listed in the same category as Rune Age. That had many expansion decks to it.


Chill. The game is brand new. It has already done pretty well and gotten some great press. There will be expansions. I'm betting on it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised this is Silver Line. This has LCG written all over it. As does I hope the Blood Bowl card game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very surprised if they released any new units cards.

However I'd be very surprised if they didn't release new Scenarios decks using the Print on Demand service.

As always it comes back to perceptions - the game isn't in the "variety" and "deck building" elements. It's in the player interactions and the scenarios.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
itchyrichy wrote:
I'd be very surprised if they released any new units cards.

Assuming they release an expansion at all, why would new units surprise you? The new Runewars expansion is giving each race more units, and there are plenty of Descent monsters that could be used as neutrals.

I am not saying they need to, just that more units wouldn't hurt and would add variety.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeFrank
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:
So after one game you already need expansions?
Play all four races at once did you?


He said it was pretty clear that there's not nearly enough card variety to sustain long-term play not that he's bored after one play.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nattakorn Vuttichaipornkul
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting my money on FFG releasing expansions as well. To be honest I have a feeling that FFG has already finish the design process for at least couple expansions. If not, they are probably working on one or two expansions for this game right now . We are talking about Fantasy Flight here. The company is known to publish gazillion expansions for their games, and can you think of any genre of game that's very easy to make expansion for? oh wait! it's call deck building.

If you feel that this game needs expansions, you're correct, FFG is most certainly notice that too. Don't worry, they're crap load of expansions on the way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG

Rune something game not a spin off of terrinoth, like Dungeon Quest, but more a direct link to their famous Rune Wars

Its a card game so should be cheap and easy

those 3 things make me think there will be expansions.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
Rune something game not a spin off of terrinoth, like Dungeon Quest, but more a direct link to their famous Rune Wars

I'm not sure I understand the "not a spin off of terrinoth" bit; Runewars (and thus Rune Age) is set in Terrinoth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
itchyrichy wrote:
As always it comes back to perceptions - the game isn't in the "variety" and "deck building" elements. It's in the player interactions and the scenarios.



I appreciate your point, but if each faction always has the same handful of tools to deal with the other players and the scenarios the game will eventually get stale no matter how many new scenarios come out. I think the biggest strength of this game is that it combines deckbuilding with an elegant, tactical, and fun direct-combat mechanic. I'd much rather have seen this game release in the LCG format and Lord of the Rings could have taken it's place in the Silver Line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very surprised if they didn't make expansions for the game. It makes a ton of sense to do so. I know that the game needs more variety and expanding the neutral card pool and unit selections would be a logical path to go.

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
itchyrichy wrote:
As always it comes back to perceptions - the game isn't in the "variety" and "deck building" elements. It's in the player interactions and the scenarios.



I appreciate your point, but if each faction always has the same handful of tools to deal with the other players and the scenarios the game will eventually get stale no matter how many new scenarios come out. I think the biggest strength of this game is that it combines deckbuilding with an elegant, tactical, and fun direct-combat mechanic. I'd much rather have seen this game release in the LCG format and Lord of the Rings could have taken it's place in the Silver Line.


Rune Age could not be an LCG. LCG's are just another way to market CCGs and Rune Age is most definitely not a CCG. LCGs are for games where you build your deck BEFORE the game starts. How would you do this with Rune Age?

i think most likely we will see print on demand scenarios for Rune Age. Not so sure about the rest of the cards, though...

By the way we have been playing Rune Age at work on lunch and this game has way more replay than some are saying.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
DeFrank wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
So after one game you already need expansions?
Play all four races at once did you?


He said it was pretty clear that there's not nearly enough card variety to sustain long-term play not that he's bored after one play.


How can you base that opinion on one play?
This isn't Dominion, direct player interaction is what keeps it dynamic and fresh and less reliant on 'variety'.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like an expansion. But this obsession people have with crying out for expansions before they have even come close to getting sick of the base game is reaching absurd levels (it's happening on every game forum these days.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is a business. I haven't seen any successful DB's without expansions.

So, I'm going to say there's about an 80-90% likelihood of future expansions.

As far as the need for expansions right now? If you've played each scenario 2,3,4 times, you're probably running out of plausible strategic options and it's feeling a little 'mechanical', but not unplayable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I sure hope they do release an expansion. It'll be a " day one" purchase for my group. This is good stuff.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
caadamec wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:
itchyrichy wrote:
As always it comes back to perceptions - the game isn't in the "variety" and "deck building" elements. It's in the player interactions and the scenarios.



I appreciate your point, but if each faction always has the same handful of tools to deal with the other players and the scenarios the game will eventually get stale no matter how many new scenarios come out. I think the biggest strength of this game is that it combines deckbuilding with an elegant, tactical, and fun direct-combat mechanic. I'd much rather have seen this game release in the LCG format and Lord of the Rings could have taken it's place in the Silver Line.


Rune Age could not be an LCG. LCG's are just another way to market CCGs and Rune Age is most definitely not a CCG. LCGs are for games where you build your deck BEFORE the game starts. How would you do this with Rune Age?

i think most likely we will see print on demand scenarios for Rune Age. Not so sure about the rest of the cards, though...

By the way we have been playing Rune Age at work on lunch and this game has way more replay than some are saying.


I don't think LCG exclusively means "another way to distribute a traditional CCG"; the LOTR LCG is not a traditional CCG, and it ships a new scenario each month, for example. LCG is just a marketing term from FFG that means "card game that gets new cards regularly". I'd love to see a deckbuilder that gets a themed mini-expansion every month, instead of a big one every 6 months.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If rune age sells there will be expansions. It's not like FFG is going to refuse money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I'm surprised this is Silver Line. This has LCG written all over it. As does I hope the Blood Bowl card game.


No, thanks! LCG are huge money sinks. I'm not falling for that trick again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.