Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, just wondering if others out there have resisted buying certain kinds of games becuase they are "too geeky". What makes this so wierd for me is that I am ok with being a geek: I use to collect comics, I love boardgaming, and I love statistics (particularly sports stats and boardgame win/loss stats). However, whenever people suggest any deck building game, space themed game, zombie/vampire game or any fantasy based game, I immediately write them off on account of their geekiness. Does anyone else have this affliction? Is there different levels of geekiness in your minds? If so, what games/game categories do you avoid on account of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably on top of geekness - I play all kinds of board and role playing games. No prejudices. I will happily massacre your troops in any cosim or fantasy battle, bankrupt you in any business game and de-victory point you in any Euro. Or be the victim of the above said.
I collect games, comic books, DVDs and CDs.
AND I'M STILL MARRIED!!! meeple

The only thing I really avoid is video/computer gaming robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Ron, I'm impressed! I try to collect boardgames but it is a slow process on account of my being married. I too avoid computer games, especially anything like WoW or Halo. haha, you reminded me of another category I stay away from: war games! But I think that is more from lack of interest rather than its geekiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl,

We request that you turn in your Geek Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
When went to a renaissance festival my video game savvy friends thought it was too geeky to come along. Meanwhile my ren-faire friends considered it extremely geeky that my friends were playing video games when they could be at a renaissance festival.

Basically, I'm saying that your fantasy game loving friends think you're geekier than they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be a Magic: The Gathering World Champion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

Lightweight. . .

Live Role Play is the only "beyond the pale" geek pastime as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
I try to collect boardgames but it is a slow process on account of my being married.

Nothing wrong with it being a slow process. Especially since not breaking the budget is one part of being a good spouse.

Other than that I say enjoy the games you like. It's your hobby. Be yourself!

Life is to short to let other peoples opinions get between you and what you love in life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek secure is the new gender secure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

Lightweight. . .

Live Role Play is the only "beyond the pale" geek pastime as far as I'm concerned.

I've even done some LARPing, and had a really good time at it. My only issues with the LARP I played were that the combat mechanic was kind of clunky and detracted from the immersion, and that some of the players were whiny crybaby rules-lawyers when things weren't going their way. In short, it was much like boardgaming. And still way better than sitting on the couch playing Call of Duty for 12 hours straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's interesting about this is how kids will let you "cheat," in the sense that you can do stuff with your children that you might not otherwise do, and it provides the ready-made "Well, I do it because my kids want to" defense.

For example:

1) I tend to be with you on the CCGs like MtG (though cost and keeping track of what new set comes out also contributes to my avoidance). However, my boys are into Pokemon, and now my oldest is starting to play Yu-Gi-Oh. I taught them how to play these games when their friends started playing as well, and I'll play with them here and there; otherwise, I wouldn't play at all.

2) RPGs - I've had trouble getting past the idea of "Do I really want to go there again?", but I've had no trouble introducing my boys to role-playing with a great kid's RPG called Faery's Tale. We even busted out the Lego pieces to use as our minis.

3) Lego - love building Lego stuff with the kids, but still feel a bit weird with the idea of dropping that kind of cash on Lego sets that would be "just for me."

So, I guess my kids allow me to scratch the occasional itch in these areas, in a way I'm okay with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
East Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

Lightweight. . .

LARP'ing is the geekiest thing you can do. at that point you may as well just start wearing your star wars footie pajamas out in public whistle

I kid I kid, I don't want anyone chasing after me with foam swords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Baker
United States
Circle Pines
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Hnaarr oorrawarr!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be exactly like you. I no longer collect comics, but once I played the Board Game Small World, the flood gates that held the boardgame geekiness back were opened.

As long as you don't play any Twilight based vampire games, then you're good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmmmm,

Someone who plays World of Warcraft states they are NOT a geek as they are not "roleplaying"

I say they are due to the fact that they are "pretending" to be a mage/priest/warrior who go around killing "pretend" monsters and collecting loot.
--------------------------------------
Someone who loves "super hero" movies states they are NOT a geek as they do not read the actual super hero comic books.

I contend they are due to the fact that they have googled every single villian in the movie and can discuss the abilities, merits, and psychological issues of every character in the film.

-------------------------------

Someone who wears a small "token" item of their favorite game/movie/book states they are no a geek as they do not fully dress as a specific character or genra.

I stand resolved that if you wear a Star Trek insignia, a sting pin (Frodo's sword), or a button/patch/watch, from Star Wars on any part of your clothing you are most certainly a geek. (This includes items from any fantasy/sci-fi/game genra
----------------------------
Thus, my contention is 99% of the population is a geek even if they don't know it. So all geeks are acceptable.

Gads, I have a million more but I am at work and better get to it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is a geek. We all just geek on different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
Everyone is a geek. We all just geek on different things.

TV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game is a good game. And geekiness is celebration of the imagination, true magic in the world.

Don't hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made video games my career - so I am a geek to those board game only guys.

I have made board games my hobby - so I am a geek to the video game guys.

I have meticulously set up games, and taken pictures of them with a full studio flash setup in the living room - I'm a geek to my family.

I bought a $4000 table just for gaming - I'm a geek to those who believe in conservative financial expenditure.

I used to do Vampire LARP - I'm a geek to everyone, but the other LARPers.

My character in the Vampire LARP was a crazy Malkavian who had split personalities. One of the personalities was female. I attended one game in drag. - I'm a geek even to the LARPers.

I have an avatar and a business on Second Life, and although I'm not one myself, I have plenty of interactions, and do plenty of work for the furries and anthros there. - I don't think they are geeks.

I may be a geek in a million different ways, but I'm OK with that, because I enjoy those things. Geek was derogatory when I was growing up, and geek culture took the word, and wore it as a badge, and that was cool - but then somehow Geek became it's own clique, and started to become a superficial stereotype.

Geek is not an affiliation, no one can say what is and is not geeky. It's being unique, sometimes eccentric, sometimes misunderstood, but always true to yourself. There is no acceptible vs. non-acceptible geek in my book, there are just people. Everyone has an aspect of their life that other people just don't understand, and may never be able to. People who are unable to accept others for who they are will always label them as different. Geek, Nerd, Dork, Hipster, Stoner, Freak, Jock, Biblethumper, Heathen, Starched Shirt, Hippie, Democrat, Republican. These words say nothing about a person, other than the fact that the one who utters it cannot, or will not relate to the other, and has to compartmentalize them into a stereotype in order for the world to make sense.

Everyone here is a geek to someone, enjoy it! ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

Could you be more specific? I enjoy the Total War series of games, Men of War Assault Squad, and an occasional bout of Team Fortress 2. All on the PC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

The only thing I really avoid is video/computer gaming :robot:

Lightweight. . . :)

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids get on me sometimes about the fun I have on BGG until I tell them that I have won another game for them in an auction. That will quiet them down for a few days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great posts everyone! They have all been interesting reads. I think this issue of geekiness is a matter of self-perception. Everyone doesn't mind being unique, most people just don't want to be "weird oddball cat lady unique" (no offense to anyone who owns lots of cats). It's funny how in our own minds, or in the minds of our different social circles where that line is crossed will differ. I didn't think I was the type of person to care what others thought until a couple of months ago in casual conversation my love of cartoons came up (avatar: the last airbender in particular) and one of the guys joked about how wierd that is for adults before he discovered I was one of them. When he found out he backed off that position (because he was a nice guy) but I was left feeling kinda wierd for liking kids shows. In my own mind, boardgaming falls into the acceptable category, especially when I explain it in terms of strategy without being boring (unlike chess). My likes of comics and kids cartoons I have simply decided to put on the side until I have kids (so I can "cheat" ). This is for the sake of both how people percieve me (especially people who don't know me well) as well as for peace in the home (It's hard enough convincing my wife on buying boardgames, let alone "kids" stuff like comics and cartoons!). While I stray away from certain geey things myself I find I don't judge others like how I think people are judging me. I actually find it quite interesting what various people are into (the only line for me is people that have dating relationships through their avatars). Thanks for all the discussion and keep it flowing if you have something to say!

PS- just to clarify, I do enjoy chess, it just so happens that most of the population thinks it's boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Hi all, just wondering if others out there have resisted buying certain kinds of games becuase they are "too geeky". What makes this so wierd for me is that I am ok with being a geek: I use to collect comics, I love boardgaming, and I love statistics (particularly sports stats and boardgame win/loss stats). However, whenever people suggest any deck building game, space themed game, zombie/vampire game or any fantasy based game, I immediately write them off on account of their geekiness. Does anyone else have this affliction? Is there different levels of geekiness in your minds? If so, what games/game categories do you avoid on account of this?

This isn´t the place you are looking for, move along...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I pretty much agree on the views presented in the Brunching Shuttlecocks Geek Hierarchy chart; I always figure that it's like driving on the freeway (in the George Carlin view):

There are two types of other drivers; Maniacs and Idiots. Maniacs are those that drive faster then you, Idiots are those that drive slower than you. How fast you are driving doesn't matter.

Likewise, crossing the line from "boring" to "pleasantly shared experience geeky" to "makes my skin crawl weirdo" works pretty much the same for most folks. Where the line is entirely depends on the perception of the person doing the judging.

Well, except that as pointed out, this analogy fails when you get two different genres of geeks who think each other are more geeky, but whatever.

I try and not be too judgmental of those I think are a too weird for my tastes. This doesn't mean I court their company, you like what you like. But, I keep in mind that I'm confident that for the vast majority of the population, I can mention something that I do, or have done, that will make me a creepy geek in their mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.