Jason Bowler
Canada
flag msg tools
hello, i'm Commisar Unseen of Writer's Production and this is my 1st post, we're working on a godzilla game partially based on monsterpocalypse, rather than making an ordinary monster game we've also decided to add armies for supporting some monsters, one of the gameplay rules will include an army fighting a monster. this game is set to be free, you will need 6 inch godzilla toys of any of toho's monsters, no king kong or gamera. now here's where we need opinions; we'd like to use warhammer guys or 1/48 scale models for these armies and if board gamers like to use heavy imagination compinsations, example, an army will consist of 1/48 tanks and troops, they must be 5 inches away from the monster or city so they won't appear so big, remember, imagination. thanks in advance, we'd like to hear your opinions and comments if this will work or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be kind of annoying to the guys who just released the official licensed Godzilla game...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tough, I remember wanting to make a Godzilla custom for my Heroscape game and I couldn't seem to get it to look right. Good luck to yuo though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commisar Unseen wrote:
hello, i'm Commisar Unseen of Writer's Production and this is my 1st post, we're working on a godzilla game partially based on monsterpocalypse, rather than making an ordinary monster game we've also decided to add armies for supporting some monsters, one of the gameplay rules will include an army fighting a monster. this game is set to be free, you will need 6 inch godzilla toys of any of toho's monsters, no king kong or gamera. now here's where we need opinions; we'd like to use warhammer guys or 1/48 scale models for these armies and if board gamers like to use heavy imagination compinsations, example, an army will consist of 1/48 tanks and troops, they must be 5 inches away from the monster or city so they won't appear so big, remember, imagination. thanks in advance, we'd like to hear your opinions and comments if this will work or not.


Godzilla is one of the most vehemently defended licenses. You would be better off to stick to generic monsters and avoid a cease and desist from TOHO
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowler
Canada
flag msg tools
to mk ultra 71, what point of free non-profitable rules for toys is not understandable, if your going to be mean to a new poster like me i will not tolerate it, yes i am aware of a new godzilla game but this is made for the sake of pure fun not profit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowler
Canada
flag msg tools
hey blockhead, what's your problem, if you have something to say please say it in full, no offense just saying i don't understand
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I question the use of 1/48 scale on both the monsters and the tanks. Godzilla can step on tanks. Shouldn't he be significantly bigger than them?

Could you get away with using 6mm figures such as the tanks from Epic Armageddon? That would be closer to the correct scale in comparison to building-sized monsters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
I question the use of 1/48 scale on both the monsters and the tanks. Godzilla can step on tanks. Shouldn't he be significantly bigger than them?

Could you get away with using 6mm figures such as the tanks from Epic Armageddon? That would be closer to the correct scale in comparison to building-sized monsters.


Also, you can get some very nice 6mm stuff for less than Epic stuff is nowadays. For real-world armies, GHQ comes immediately to mind:

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/military-models-modern-micro-...

and I'm sure there's other suppliers who fit the bill.

Nothing against Epic (I actually hope to start playing it this fall with a bunch of stuff I just snagged off eBay), just throwing that out there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commisar Unseen wrote:
hey blockhead, what's your problem, if you have something to say please say it in full, no offense just saying i don't understand


to Commisar Unseen, if your going to be mean to a new poster like me i will not tolerate it,

Wow. I simply gave you a heads up that using licensed material in your game will lead to grief later on. PNP or not its still protected material.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At 1/48 scale, with 6" monsters, the tanks are going to dwarf the monsters. They won't be giant monsters...they'll look like people in a rubber monster suit next to the tank. I know you're shooting for some player imagination injected into the game, but at those scales you're going to go beyond what most people are going to be able to imagine.

Epic scale minis, as suggested by another, sound more like what you want to aim for, if you're shooting to create rules to more accurately depict what happens in the movies.

As far as intellectual property concerns go, fun vs profit don't matter much. So long as all you're doing is making a set of rules, you're probably fine. Might be best to leave out Godzilla's name, unless it's just to refer to the models/toys you suggest using. But creating stats for a monster called Godzilla, and then publishing them anywhere, like on BGG, are the kind of thing that Toho has been known to take action against.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
Commisar Unseen wrote:
hey blockhead, what's your problem, if you have something to say please say it in full, no offense just saying i don't understand


to Commisar Unseen, if your going to be mean to a new poster like me i will not tolerate it,

Wow. I simply gave you a heads up that using licensed material in your game will lead to grief later on. PNP or not its still protected material.



Yeah - not to derail this topic, but I didn't see one bit of venom in MK's post. He was only trying to be helpful... I understand that sarcasm and aggression sometimes don't translate on the interweb, but you should really strive to assume people aren't trying to be nasty when you're asking for help. He was only stating a fact.

FWIW, he's totally right. Even if this is being done as a profitless labor of love, you're potentially opening yourself (and whatever host platform you use for the PNP) to a big hurt if the license owner decides this is taking money out of his pocket. The minute you upload those files with the name "Godzilla" attached makes you a potential litigation target. There's so many different word plays you can do with a "big monster stomp" concept. Why not protect yourself and brainstorm?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowler
Canada
flag msg tools
ok i've realized that i'm getting stepped on by some of you just because you guys have no sense of imagination. i think i'll irratate you even more by changing it to 1/32-35, how do you like em apples.
for the guys who have been helpful thank you the beef up is just my theme, this game can be played by all ages, but is more for the young at heart and diehard godzilla fans, so to the guys you suggested epic scale thank you but epic is not what i'm looking for, good suggestion though.
i'd like to say this again to the unhelpful others, if your going to leave a negative comment or sound unsupportive than i rather not hear your replys, only good positive attitudes are welcome here and other WP games, thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commisar Unseen wrote:
ok i've realized that i'm getting stepped on by some of you just because you guys have no sense of imagination. i think i'll irratate you even more by changing it to 1/32-35, how do you like em apples.
for the guys who have been helpful thank you the beef up is just my theme, this game can be played by all ages, but is more for the young at heart and diehard godzilla fans, so to the guys you suggested epic scale thank you but epic is not what i'm looking for, good suggestion though.
i'd like to say this again to the unhelpful others, if your going to leave a negative comment or sound unsupportive than i rather not hear your replys, only good positive attitudes are welcome here and other WP games, thank you


If you only want to here the good things about your game then have your parents play it. If you want to improve your game you need to be able to hear criticisms about it without ego getting in the way.

There were no negative comments posted other than comments you don't want to hear. I wish you all the best with your design.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: yeah, you're not getting 'stepped on' by anybody. People here have been uniformly polite and helpful, even when you've responded with pointless and surprising venom. And remember the last line of your first post?

Quote:
we'd like to hear your opinions and comments if this will work or not.


People have done exactly this. Don't complain when people do what you ask them to.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commisar Unseen wrote:
we'd like to hear your opinions and comments if this will work or not.


and I answered "not"

mostly because I suspect this whole thread is a hoax. But I will bow out and leave you to your denigrating every one of the suggestions/comments you solicited.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowler
Canada
flag msg tools
i apologize, appearently i got too stressed, i'm sorry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commisar Unseen wrote:
i apologize, appearently i got too stressed, i'm sorry


Classy move Jason. Welcome to BGG and good luck with your project!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.