Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Did the movie ever release? Where can I find it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
http://boardgamedoc.blogspot.com/
http://www.boardgamemovie.com/

They seem to be close to being ready to release it.

I know that the project is still active because I was recently helping out proofreading the Esperanto subtitles. It will have subtitles in quite a few languages apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
russ wrote:
I know that the project is still active because I was recently helping out proofreading the Esperanto subtitles.

Well, if the boardgaming theme didn't mark this as a geek documentary, this certainly will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
russ wrote:
http://boardgamedoc.blogspot.com/
http://www.boardgamemovie.com/

They seem to be close to being ready to release it.

I know that the project is still active because I was recently helping out proofreading the Esperanto subtitles. It will have subtitles in quite a few languages apparently.

Thanks for the reply. Who learns/knows Esperanto? I am more interested in this now than the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Who learns/knows Esperanto? I am more interested in this now than the movie.

You're welcome!

All kinds of people learn/know Esperanto. The main motives are typically:
* an interest in learning a language that's by design much more regular and enjoyable and fast to learn than national languages (it's the only language I've gotten fluent and good at besides my native language English, which was a true joy for me. I am still struggling with Polish despite living in Poland for several years.)
and
* an idealistic interest in a fairer neutral second language instead of expecting everyone to learn English, which is far harder (like all national languages) and gives native English speakers a huge economic advantage. In that sense, it's a bit like supporting Linux over Windows.

I personally know hundreds of all kinds of people (geeks and non-geeks alike) from dozens of countries whom I met speaking Esperanto. (Including my wife - it's our primary language at home.)

It's kind of a diasporic language, not being based in any particular country, so the easiest way to meet up in person with a large number of different Esperanto speakers is at conventions. E.g. we were just at a big one with 1400 or so people in Copenhagen. (Being game geeks, we typically play games at these things as well...) There are indeed interesting parallels between the boardgame and Esperanto communities.

I suppose the wikipedia article is as good an overview as any, and if you are interested in learning Esperanto, I recommend lernu.net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
russ wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:

You're welcome!

All kinds of people learn/know Esperanto. The main motives are typically:
* an interest in learning a language that's by design much more regular and enjoyable and fast to learn than national languages (it's the only language I've gotten fluent and good at besides my native language English, which was a true joy for me. I am still struggling with Polish despite living in Poland for several years.)
and
* an idealistic interest in a fairer neutral second language instead of expecting everyone to learn English, which is far harder (like all national languages) and gives native English speakers a huge economic advantage. In that sense, it's a bit like supporting Linux over Windows.

I personally know hundreds of all kinds of people (geeks and non-geeks alike) from dozens of countries whom I met speaking Esperanto. (Including my wife - it's our primary language at home.)

It's kind of a diasporic language, not being based in any particular country, so the easiest way to meet up in person with a large number of different Esperanto speakers is at conventions. E.g. we were just at a big one with 1400 or so people in Copenhagen. (Being game geeks, we typically play games at these things as well...) There are indeed interesting parallels between the boardgame and Esperanto communities.

I suppose the wikipedia article is as good an overview as any, and if you are interested in learning Esperanto, I recommend lernu.net.

Fascinating. I will definitely check out those links. Not sure if I will be learning Esperanto any time soon (I'm an American living in Ukraine who is still plumbing the depths of the Russian language and dabbling in Ukrainian), but I'm going to learn more about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Donovan
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody else having trouble getting the interactive video on the Trailers section to work? The whole project looks interesting and this would give us a bit more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.