BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: First board game question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krisztian Kutas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello!

I'd like to buy my first board game to play mostly with my GF, and occasionally (once in a month) with another 1-2 friends. Those are my ideas:

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Battles of Westeros
Horus Heresy (2010)
Arkham Horror
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

The question is which one to get?
I know that the first three is specially for two players, but my favourite would be Arkham Horror... Is it possible to play (and enjoy!) that (or Descent) with only two of us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TorinTuranvar wrote:
The question is which one to get? :)

Lord of the Rings: Confrontation is a great light two player game.

Arkham Horror is one of my favourite games that I usually play with my wife and we have a blast every time. It is a bit heavy so make sure you understand what you're getting before committing to a purchase (read reviws!).

Descent and Horus Heresy are good choices too, but I vastly prefer Arkham Horror to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror works just fine with as few as one player, but it requires a substantial time (and space) investment to set up, play, and tear down. Make sure you know what you would be getting into. It's a pretty sweet game, though.

Descent requires one person to be the Game Master, and control all the monsters against the heroes. I suspect it wouldn't be interesting with fewer than 3 players. Looks like it would be pretty sweet with enough players.

For a similar game, check out the two D&D board games (a third one is due out in the next couple of months). They're 100% cooperative, and play fine with 1 - 5 players. The rules are much simpler than "real" D&D, fortunately.

Gears of War is due out soon as well, and it looks like a more evolved version of the D&D board game system. Again, 100% cooperative, with as few as one player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TorinTuranvar wrote:

What have you played already? What have you enjoyed?

Same questions for your GF and for your other friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Kutas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
TorinTuranvar wrote:

This will be our first "adult" board game. But me and my friends played a lot of pen and paper RPGs (D&D, Warhammer, etc.), and my GF played a lot of strategy PC games (Civ, space 4X games). So complexity is not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you want a thematic game (based on your list). You want it to play well with two players and expand beyond. You also seem to be interested in the cooperative or semi-cooperative aspect. You're also new to board games, but not afraid of complexity. Based on all this, here's is my solid recommendation:

Earth Reborn

1. Earth Reborn is complex...but, the scenario book teaches you new mechanics with every scenario. So it's perfect for someone who wants complexity, but might need a little hand-holding.

2. It's brilliant as a two-player...and, it's also getting great reviews with three or four players. Also, when you play it with three or four, you have the option to play it as a free-for-all, a one-against-all, or two-vs.-two. How awesome is that?!

3. The theme oozes out of the box...but, it's okay. It's a good kind of ooze: tiles, dice, counters, miniatures, gear cards, character cards, etc, etc. There's more game in this box than any other game I own.

One more little plus to Earth Reborn is that you can get it considerably cheaper than most other games of this caliber. I believe it's still available for less than $45 in select stores.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hoopfer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TorinTuranvar wrote:
peakhope wrote:
TorinTuranvar wrote:

This will be our first "adult" board game. But me and my friends played a lot of pen and paper RPGs (D&D, Warhammer, etc.), and my GF played a lot of strategy PC games (Civ, space 4X games). So complexity is not a problem.

Through the Ages is fantastic but it is a tough one to learn. It's a great civ game that my wife and I like, I would also recommend getting the how to play podcast if you are going to try it out. Saved us a ton of grief.

If you like some competition between yourselves 1960: The Making of a President is another of my wife and I's favorites. Really good rule book too. Easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From your list I would buy Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, and Arkham Horror. Earth Reborn was mentioned earlier, that is also a good choice. Some other good choices would be The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, Summoner Wars, and Defenders of the Realm. You mentioned that your wife likes PC strategy games, have you considered Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't really recommend Arkham Horror for 2. Husband & I tried it on our own before we bought it at our FLGS and didn't really like it 2-player. AH isn't really that interesting in itself--we don't really play AH because we want to spend 4 hours running around killing monsters. The mechanics etc don't really provide enough MEAT to focus on solely. But, in a bigger group, it's all about hanging out, having some beers, laughing as I fail on all 10 dice at once... AH is the complete OPPOSITE of multi-player solitaire because it doesn't take that much concentration and doesn't tend to cause 'analysis paralysis'--but it also means that for 2 people, if I'm going to spend that much time with just my husband I'd rather have a different distraction because AH isn't really 'interesting' enough on it's own. I'd rather just sit and have dinner and chat over that instead of AH.

Battles of Westeros is... okay. We tried out Memoir 44 and since we love Game of Thrones thought the theme would be more interesting. However, our favorite part of Memoir 44 was the simple elegance, the use of 'command cards' to allow a lot of options to be possible but give you a few options in the short-term (less analysis paralysis, easier decision-making), and of course that it's a much smaller scale than your typical 'war' game. However, we found Battles of Westeros took away our favorite parts of the game. It made things too complicated, gave you too many decisions, gave you a bunch of annoying tokens and fiddly bits. It wasn't what WE WANTED from the game... Memoir 44 is a drier more boring theme, but I think it's a more elegant game. However, if you don't mind some fiddly bits and really get into themes it may be right for you.

The games I like to recommend for 2+ players are Agricola, Alien Frontiers and Race for the Galaxy. They all have a lot of interesting strategy and scale well down to 2 people or up to more people.

If you're interested in Warhammer themes, Chaos in the Old World is a great game. However, it seems like it's definitely balanced around 4 players and it probably wouldn't scale well to 2 players. But, if you're into the theme (and it's a great game! Probably my favorite!) and looking for something awesome for 3-4 players, I recommend it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some quite original choices for a fist game! laugh

I'd advise you against Descent. It is a really good game, but it needs 4 heroes and 1 overlord to shine and I've never found it too well balanced for less players.

Coming from a Warhammer background, you're going to like Battles of Westeros, and absolutely love Battlelore if you can get a copy. It's basically a more balanced and agile Warhammer, without the prep time of building an army beforehand.

Arkham Horror is one of my favourite games. It can be described as Call of Cthulhu RPG in a box and seeing the different stories develop during the game is loads of fun. I love it with any number of players from 1 to 5, although the more people, the better (I find that with 6+ players it tends to lag a bit too much, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
TorinTuranvar wrote:

I know that the first three is specially for two players, but my favourite would be Arkham Horror... Is it possible to play (and enjoy!) that (or Descent) with only two of us?

I'd personally say drop Descent from the list, narrowing your choice down to 4. Does your partner already enjoy wargaming? Because if she is cautious of playing them you may want to go for Arkham Horror, much to your delight, as it is much more cooperative.

I'd suggest, if it is possible, to get your partner to sit down with you whilst on Boardgamegeek and go through the descriptions and reviews together. Forget what you want to play most and let her be the one to let you know what she finds more appealing. It might not be Arkham Horror to begin with, but if you start off on the right foot eventually & hopefully in the future you'll be able to play the games you desire.

If it doesn't work out, be sure to head over to this thread to share your experiences... Second-Step Gaming with our Significant Other

thedacker wrote:

Thedacker strikes again! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.