Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » General

Subject: The Most Useless Card and Why rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
British:

Poll
Which is the most useless British Empire card to draft in either deck?
Bateaux
Fortification
Governor
Home Support
Indian Leader
Military Leader
Militia
Rangers
Regular Infantry
Settlers
Ships
Siege Artillery
Trader
      115 answers
Poll created by medievalbanquet



French

Poll
What is the most useless French Empire card to draft?
Coureurs de Bois
Fortification
Governor
Home Support
Intendant
Military leader
Militia
Native Americans
Priest
Regular Infantry
Ships
Siege Artillery
Trader
      100 answers
Poll created by medievalbanquet



Why?

devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for the SHIP card.

When I read the rules I read them too fast. I thought the Merchant action required a ship card as the graphic to the right of the rule is the ship. Anyhow, I put it together wrong in my head.

But, when I was thinking incorrectly, I was thinking the Ship is necessary for strategies of income building, etc. Its not, so why ever buy a $6 ship?

Andy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Ships too, but while I feel confident about this vote for the British (they have scads of ship icons) I am much less confident about it for the French. However, it's the only French Empire card I have never drafted, so I voted for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Reiff
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, you're wrong

The most useless card for the English is the Settler. Why would you take your own when you can deny the French by takinga green one? goo
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any of the French cards are useless (you should add this option to the poll).

When it comes to the Brits, the Bateaux is pretty useless since you still take albany, from where you get a bateaux.

BDReiff wrote:
The most useless card for the English is the Settler. Why would you take your own when you can deny the French by takinga green one? goo

If there is a 1-1 settling race (you got 1 green and he has one) then having another settler is really good for the brit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a settler on so many brits' cards, I see no reason to buy the settler except to deprive the French.

I don't think there's a useless French empire card. All cards fit a strategy or another.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The word useless can be looked upon as harsh.

Think of it as the card you are least likely to draft across all your plays of the game. I'm not saying I play well. I don't. But, for me, its the ship.

I'd love a case for drafting a ship card to me made by either power...



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I voted Ships too, but while I feel confident about this vote for the British (they have scads of ship icons) I am much less confident about it for the French. However, it's the only French Empire card I have never drafted, so I voted for it.
You should give the ship a try next time you play French. In my past three games as French, I've found the ship to be incredibly useful. (In all three, I've sieged Boston to win the game, however, so if you're concentrating on other things, it might be less useful.) I've found it opens up the ability to pirate more often, and this often is the key factor in the French stopping the English from getting more military than the French.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Linkor wrote:
I don't think any of the French cards are useless (you should add this option to the poll).

When it comes to the Brits, the Bateaux is pretty useless since you still take albany, from where you get a bateaux.

BDReiff wrote:
The most useless card for the English is the Settler. Why would you take your own when you can deny the French by takinga green one? goo

If there is a 1-1 settling race (you got 1 green and he has one) then having another settler is really good for the brit.

It's dangerous to rely purely on Albany for your extra bateaux. You can easily get raided and lose control of it and that puts your expansion in jeopardy. It's the first to get governed, though!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
It's dangerous to rely purely on Albany for your extra bateaux. You can easily get raided and lose control of it and that puts your expansion in jeopardy. It's the first to get governed, though!

Well, it wont get raided or sieged too fast since it is quite a distance for the french to go. When the french atlast arives, you have hopefully expanded somewhere else with the Albany card and you get quite an amount of bateauxes from those locations either the cumberland way or the albany way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite everyone's great comments... the SHIP card is winning in the polls.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Linkor wrote:
out4blood wrote:
It's dangerous to rely purely on Albany for your extra bateaux. You can easily get raided and lose control of it and that puts your expansion in jeopardy. It's the first to get governed, though!

Well, it wont get raided or sieged too fast since it is quite a distance for the french to go. When the french atlast arives, you have hopefully expanded somewhere else with the Albany card and you get quite an amount of bateauxes from those locations either the cumberland way or the albany way.

If I were playing the French, I would very eagerly advance to suitable raiding locations to hit Albany and Deerfield. I find preventing or delaying the British from fortifying that key terrain pretty critical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have written Kennebec for both sides. Until you get raided down that route.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think as the British, I would always draft Ships before I'd draft Trader. It seems the British can generate money much quicker using Merchant than with Trading. On top of that, the Ships card has multiple uses, whereas the Trader is single use. Could just be my style of play though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Odinsday wrote:
I'd have written Kennebec for both sides. Until you get raided down that route.


Definitely, but its a location card, of course.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I think as the British, I would always draft Ships before I'd draft Trader. It seems the British can generate money much quicker using Merchant than with Trading. On top of that, the Ships card has multiple uses, whereas the Trader is single use. Could just be my style of play though.


Right, but you don't need a ship to do the merchant action. Just a card with the ship symbol... and the British seem to have enough of those?

Interesting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting that Military Leader has no votes...

I know its a free action and a 1 strength... hmm, maybe, I'm missing something.

devil

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Very interesting that Military Leader has no votes...

I know its a free action and a 1 strength... hmm, maybe, I'm missing something.


My last game - against a first time player, but one of the best all-round game players I know so not a complete walkover, just a comfortable win - I was on the offensive as the British, and won that way. But one card my French opponent made good use of in slowing my sieges was Military Leader. It's on my try list.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
I think as the British, I would always draft Ships before I'd draft Trader. It seems the British can generate money much quicker using Merchant than with Trading. On top of that, the Ships card has multiple uses, whereas the Trader is single use. Could just be my style of play though.


Right, but you don't need a ship to do the merchant action. Just a card with the ship symbol... and the British seem to have enough of those?

Interesting.

Right, you don't, but if I remember correctly, most of the cards that have a ship symbol also have 2 or more coins. Better to use them for the coins, rather than for the ship.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
Desiderata wrote:
I think as the British, I would always draft Ships before I'd draft Trader. It seems the British can generate money much quicker using Merchant than with Trading. On top of that, the Ships card has multiple uses, whereas the Trader is single use. Could just be my style of play though.


Right, but you don't need a ship to do the merchant action. Just a card with the ship symbol... and the British seem to have enough of those?

Interesting.

Right, you don't, but if I remember correctly, most of the cards that have a ship symbol also have 2 or more coins. Better to use them for the coins, rather than for the ship.


True, it does save you a potential card with a settler or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
Very interesting that Military Leader has no votes...

I know its a free action and a 1 strength... hmm, maybe, I'm missing something.


My last game - against a first time player, but one of the best all-round game players I know so not a complete walkover, just a comfortable win - I was on the offensive as the British, and won that way. But one card my French opponent made good use of in slowing my sieges was Military Leader. It's on my try list.


+1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, interesting:

9 Votes for the British Bateaux card. I was culling and culling last night for that card, I couldn't draw a bateaux to save my life!!

shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the British Bateaux has uses later in the game if you've finished building up the coastline and are trying to get to inland places. The Albany route for one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Very interesting that Military Leader has no votes...

I know its a free action and a 1 strength... hmm, maybe, I'm missing something.

devil


The other thing it has going for it is that it's not vulnerable to ambushes, so you can stick it in your reserve. It might not be the best, but it's certainly not the worst.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Chatel
France
Lunel
Hérault
flag msg tools
AndrewE wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
Very interesting that Military Leader has no votes...

I know its a free action and a 1 strength... hmm, maybe, I'm missing something.

:devil:


The other thing it has going for it is that it's not vulnerable to ambushes, so you can stick it in your reserve. It might not be the best, but it's certainly not the worst.


Yes, one strengh point that you can keep in reserve, and that you can play as a third reinforcement card... Played at the right moment, ie for instance with two regulars, it is often the additional point which win the siege. Very good card, indeed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.