Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not see anything about this in the rule book, but I am curious if there are any changes to the rules for a two player game.

If there are not, I have a concern for a potentially game breaking strategy in a 2 player game. I obviously have not tried this, so it is a hypothetical concern:

If I am playing a 2 player game, during the role drafting I could take high numbered cards, giving me a decent chance of going second the entire game. Then during the bidding phase, I could always cover up the bidding marker of the first player, and ensure that they would have zero bidding markers down. This means during the initial building phase, they would be unable to build, right? I could then build and get all of the bonus points. The first player could then potentially build additional stories, but the fact they never get the initial bonus points would always keep them behind me. If, because of picking high cards, I go second then I could do this all three rounds and effectively win.

Is such a scenario possible in a 2 player game or is there some way to stop this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sean...what you say CAN technically happen, but if your only goal is to screw with your opponent, then it is probable that you're not choosing to bid on the zones that will be most useful to construct the building tiles you actually have in your hand. So, you may win the zones, but the zones may not be the ones you need.

Still, I'll pass this thread to Isaias and see what he says. There may be an elegant way to combat this in a two player game, such as allowing each player to place two bid tokens on a single turn. That would allow each player to close and win a zone or to bid on two different zones and risk a bidding war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Sean! Thanks so much for the question. After some discussion, we've decided to update the rules and are implementing a small rules change for the 2 player game only. The change:

Each player places 2 bid markers on their turn.

Essentially, the players can double-bid and automatically claim a zone, or risk trying to get different zones. Hopefully, this helps.

We will be testing this out in the coming weeks, but we're pretty certain that this will make the two-player game much more competitive and fun. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaias-
I've obviously never played the game but this subject is important to my decision to Kickstart as I play most games with my wife. Would another possible solution be to place bidding markers in a 1-2-1 fashion? First player goest first and last? Just another thought to throw into the hat. Really looking forward to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I was going to back this before I even finished watching your video and in fact was bragging to friends last night while playing Alien Frontiers and the Fealty PnP actually about how cool this game sounded :-P They all agreed and thought it sounded like it'd scale well to 2 players. But after reading this rule tweak you are testing I think it'll scale better, it would avoid the direct "backstabbing" player from doing that.

Trust me I have a friend the first time he plays a game he looks for the first route for instant backstabbing so lately I've seeked games that may assist him easier in that quest (Survive, Hex Hex, etc).

I'm incredibly excited for this and the AF exp (actually had a friend last night complain that AF was missing something and that games came out too close I wanted to slap him especially when I ended up coming from 2 points down to win the last turn of AF using excellent Alien Tech combos).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the vote of confidence for Sunrise City, Ken. Yes, I think the 2 player adjustment will be a winner. Don't know why we never thought of it before.

And congrats on your AF win. I love making alien tech and territory bonus combos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marstiller wrote:
Would another possible solution be to place bidding markers in a 1-2-1 fashion? First player goest first and last?

The original concern that Sean voiced was that player 2 would have too much power to outbid player 1 every turn. Using a 1-2-1 doesn't seem to fix that since player 2 would then be able to outbid player 1 and then close that bid with a double bid or move on to a new zone. It seems like it might actually strengthen player 2's capacity to dominate player 1. I'd have to actually try it out to be sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
marstiller wrote:
Would another possible solution be to place bidding markers in a 1-2-1 fashion? First player goest first and last?

The original concern that Sean voiced was that player 2 would have too much power to outbid player 1 every turn. Using a 1-2-1 doesn't seem to fix that since player 2 would then be able to outbid player 1 and then close that bid with a double bid or move on to a new zone. It seems like it might actually strengthen player 2's capacity to dominate player 1. I'd have to actually try it out to be sure though.

But wouldn't player one be able to win a bid after that?

Player one places a bid. Player two tops that bid and then places a second bid thus ending biding on that location. Player one places his second bid on any remaining location and wins that bid since there are no more bids.

By the way, I could very well have completely misread the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marstiller wrote:
But wouldn't player one be able to win a bid after that?

Player one places a bid. Player two tops that bid and then places a second bid thus ending biding on that location. Player one places his second bid on any remaining location and wins that bid since there are no more bids.

By the way, I could very well have completely misread the rules.

It cold be me that is misunderstanding, so no worries Lets first see if we have our systems understood.

Each player has 6 bid markers

Our suggested system would be...
Player 1 places 2 markers
Player 2 places 2 markers

If I understand correctly, your suggested system would be...
Player 1 places 1 marker
Player 1 places 1 marker
Player 2 places 1 marker
Player 2 places 1 marker
Player 1 places 1 marker
Player 1 places 1 marker

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Seeing it like that it's clearly too fiddly. Oh well. Back to my day job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.