Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After anxiously waiting for the re-release I've just ordered the game and both expansions. Very excited!

After reading all the rules at Sands Of Time it seems there are many variations in play available.
Labyrinth, camping, exploration cards from Dark Passageways, extra healers and item sellers etc.

Personally, I'm looking to play some sort of mode which includes as many of these options as possible. The 01112 format I'm sure has its place, but I think my group would go for something a bit more "epic".

So I'm interested in how others are playing the game and are incorporating all these elements together (or not). For example I'm not really sure how the Dark Passageways cards could work in Labyrinth mode (I don't think they would, RaW), so how do you like to play the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
To be honest we've never deviated away from the 01112 plan, sadly. I may have done a 0001 setup for some younger kids I was teaching the game (and so the game wouldn't go on for too long).

I'd like to see what others have done as well... the foundation is certainly there but I think if you drag it out for too many more rooms it gets MUCH harder for the heroes... which could be a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:

I'd like to see what others have done as well... the foundation is certainly there but I think if you drag it out for too many more rooms it gets MUCH harder for the heroes... which could be a good thing.

Yeah, I see what you're saying but there's more resources available that would mean that isn't necessarily the case.

For example:
01112 uses 1 merchant and one healer.
01111122 could use both healers, both merchants.
0011111222 could use both healers, both merchants and camping.

Obviously I'm making the numbers up as I have no experience with the game yet (hence this post), but you get my drift... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
This may be a bit extreme but my group is in the middle of developing a full RPG out of the system. Pulling off material from years of playing D&D, etc. we’re excited to essentially use the Catacombs combat mechanic as the basis of the system. Because I’m lazy, I’m adapting the Red Hand of Doom super adventure from D&D 3.5 to this system. We’ll see if the system can withstand this shift but I’m pretty optimistic.

When not doing that, we’re really enjoying the standard 01112CL system. I don’t think we’ve had enough time to branch out of that yet and the 60 minutes game time really hits the spot on playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, an RPG using Catacombs sounds fantastic!

I find it incredible that a dexterity game is considered robust enough for this of thing. Not just by yourself - I read many times how tactical the game is and how well it conveys the feeling of dungeon-crawlin'.

Really interesting. Please post how it goes (Session report! Session report! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kelsey
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do this, I would love to see what your group comes up with!

Other possible layouts (and these should, of course, be considered "non-official") are branching layouts, something like this:

1 1 2
0 < > 1 S 1 < > 1 H < > CL
1 1 2

That is, you do the level 0 room, choose between one of two level 1 rooms, move on to the next level 1 room, hit the store, and so on. If you have the map, you would be able to effectively choose the lesser of two evils, which would add another benefit to that item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
You've probably discovered it by now, but here's my solution:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/71904/domain-of-the-qu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.