BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good solo game along the lines of Sim City/Civilization? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to find a decent development sort of game that gives you enough rope to hang yourself without having other players doing it for you. A very simple example of what I'm looking for would be Roll Through the Ages. Scale doesn't really matter - the scenario could be galaxy building, or a single farm.

Can Civilization be made interesting enough for solo play with a turn limit and some slight rule changes like RTtA does, or would the sharp de-emphasis on military make it too dull?

Card/dice games would be alright, too (and probably more portable anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played, but Pocket Civ is pretty well regarded and pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Never played, but Pocket Civ is pretty well regarded and pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

That looks promising. I'll have to load the printer up with some cardstock tonight. The game doesn't rely on color, does it? My laser printer is strictly monochrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
A dry erase board works well for playing, without the need to print anything except for the rules and the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.