Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan» Forums » General

Subject: Ishi or Toku? That is the Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played quite a few game sessions now (though all still solo), I do agree with an earlier poster's Tokugawa:Ishida win/loss ratio, of being somewhere in the vicinity of 3:1. Funny thing is, I'm going for the Ishida side!

Tokugawa as noted in a heads-up I made to the review thread, appears to have a huge advantage from the start in being 1 Castle up on Ishida - that's 2 VP Ishida (gold) needs to make up out of he gate, plus missing out on an extra card draw from turn 2 onwards (rewarding the Castle majority) unless addressed with speed.

Further, Tokugawa (black) has a number of other key advantages at set-up:

1. The 4 mon Ii block is poised within striking distance for easy battle.
2. The bulk of the map's Resource Locations sit in the east where Tokugawa lies in strength.
3. Ishida is forced to immediately think defensively in protecting Osaka and its Toyotomi disc.
4. The bulk of its strength with the Mori clan, can only arrive piecemeal or if Osaka is attacked.

Ishida's real chance of winning therefore, rests with the draw of the starting and follow-up reinforcement blocks - and audacity.

If Kobayakawa can be marshalled early as one example, Ishida can have a real chance at pulling a win off.

The historical realities posed by this dilemma are remarkable.

I'm off to give it another go. Maybe that "audacity" of mine needs a think through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to make a determination on balance through solo playings of a game like this?

Seems hard but I don't play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very, very good point! As a lot of this game will come down to bluff and hubris - that only hidden hands and blocks can bring.

However, the way players need to discard half their hands at the beginning of each week - and replenish their hands after each battle - plus the unpredictable appearance of the blocks making up their reinforcements, will mean that there is enough uncertainty to make a great solo session possible.

For now, I play each side to their best, make educated guesses as to when a Loyalty Card would be played in all fairness and take risks as the strategic opportunities provide.

In my last game, Tokugawa both over-extended himself and took/lost Osaka. Mori didn't get as free a reign as expected by the end game - it's cards just wouldn't appear when needed.

Ishida ended up owning the majority of Castles and killed 3 more blocks than Tokugawa, but could not penetrate far enough east for the Resource win. But no clan rose early on to assist it with a breakthrough in the centre either, as had happened past.

Amazingly, this is a GREAT game solo. Can't wait to play it head to head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it possible to make a determination on balance through solo playings of a game like this?

I'd imagine his win/loss ratio is right around 1:1

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:

Ishida's real chance of winning therefore, rests with the draw of the starting and follow-up reinforcement blocks - and audacity.

Yes, I like to play Ishida; maybe I have a slight preference.

Ishida must attack. Concentrate in Kyoto and then dominate the west. Maybe make a mobile northern force around Nagaoka. Don't give Tokugawa the leisure to overcome his problems of distance and dispersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalkins wrote:
Adam Parker wrote:

Yes, I like to play Ishida; maybe I have a slight preference.

Ishida must attack. Concentrate in Kyoto and then dominate the west. Maybe make a mobile northern force around Nagaoka. Don't give Tokugawa the leisure to overcome his problems of distance and dispersion.

Thanks for the strategy advice. I will have to give it a shot.

I have only played once so far, and I got my butt handed to me by trying to draw the Tokugawa forces into a war of attrition near my home bases (figuring that I had the shorter supply line). Unfortunately, this caused me to lose in the resource war and eventually in the castle war.

Since my girlfriend will always plays black in whatever game we are playing, I will have to learn how to play Ishida effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.