Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

I need your wisdom and knowledge: currently I have both Devil Horsemen and Men of Iron, and am thinking about getting Infidel, all three games from the GMT family.

However there is one detail which is holding me from getting Infidel, and it is here that I need your experienced opinions: as related to game mechanics are DH and Infidel the same?

Please, let me explain myself. I know DH and Infidel cover completely different topics of history: DH covers the Mongol warfare system interacting with different armies of the time while Infidel shows the interaction between the European armored mounted knight and the light cavalry tactics then used in Middle East, within the context of the First Crusade. Also, DH belongs to the GBoH series from GMT while Infidel and MoI belong to Men of Iron series which is a sort of simplified GBoH.

But since both games are 'cavalry intensive' I have the doubt if DH mechanics (although suited for the Mongolian way of war) could be similar or have some relation with the heavy cavalry vs light cavalry covered in Infidel.

And for further reference, I also own Mameluke, the expansion set for DH.

My favorite wargaming topic is that of warfare in Medieval Japan(the Sengoku Jidai period in particular), so these three games go a little off the path (topic wise) when compared with other games like Samurai, Ran and Shogun Triumphant.

I think DH and MoI are excellent, fine games and have no doubt Infidel is another gem, so I want be sure it would not be any redundancy by playing it. My budget is tight right now and I have a nice but clever wife whom will ask me: 'another game, and you say it is the last one? honey move on into another excuse; is the same one I have heard over the last sixteen years...'

My fellows, thanks in advance.

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.