BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I want to try painting miniatures, but I need some cheap practice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mmik mmikleson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This has probably been asked before, but I can't even find the search feature on here, so sorry.

Anyway, I'm curious about this Super Dungeon Explore game, and if it looks like something I should get, I'd have to paint the figures... So of course, I'm interested in finding something cheap to practice on and see if I have the patience for this. I do like small details and stuff, so maybe it'll be something for me to pick at in my spare time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmik wrote:
This has probably been asked before, but I can't even find the search feature on here, so sorry.

Anyway, I'm curious about this Super Dungeon Explore game, and if it looks like something I should get, I'd have to paint the figures... So of course, I'm interested in finding something cheap to practice on and see if I have the patience for this. I do like small details and stuff, so maybe it'll be something for me to pick at in my spare time.

Can you practice on ceramic. That's is pretty cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mmik mmikleson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The figures coming with the game will be plastic, so I'd like some plastic figures if I can. Is there something you can buy where you get a few brushes, paints, and one or two figures in one pack? or is there a better way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not sure about the material, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I wanted to see if painting is something I can or want to do, I bought some random toy soldiers from local thrift shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mmik mmikleson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hm... question... Say I mess up big time painting, or just don't like the way it turned out; is there an easy way to repaint plastic, ceramic, or metal figurines? Or are they all pretty much scrap if you mess up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mmik mmikleson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
pavunisi wrote:
When I wanted to see if painting is something I can or want to do, I bought some random toy soldiers from local thrift shop.

Yea I actually thought of this as I was typing my last comment, and thought it was funny to see two people responded like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a great resource...

Painting plastic minis - A "how to" guide for beginners [Warning: Contains 175 images!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A $2 bag of army guys and some acrylic paints and brushes and a quality can of black spray paint won't set you back too much. Is there a hobby store near you? If yes, stop and let them know what you want to do.

Another road, if there is a game store that sells Games Workshop stuff is to inquire about a starter paint set that comes with minis (try to get them at a discount from a flgs, don't order them online) They look like this...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.js...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mmik mmikleson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
is "flgs" supposed to be local-game-shop?

I can't imagine a game shop selling cheaper than online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew A
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine that he is encouraging you to buy from a local game store to support the store, not because they can sell cheaper than online. My flgs will sell me items cheaper than sticker, especially for items that he has multiples of or have been on the shelf a while. Less money is better than no money. He often can't match online prices, but he comes close enough.

By buying in store, you might find the owner or other customers may have advice or offer help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mmik wrote:

friendly local game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmik wrote:

In the case of Games Workshop... yes. I have yet to pay full price for anything from GW, much less what they charge on their website+sh.

I'm not sure why this is, but the "friendly/favorite local game stores" in my town give discounts to customers who buy GW stuff. It has something to do with how GW stuff is distributed. I always buy GW at my flgs. (which is a good thing)

edit===
check that... i paid $99 for Space Hulk (third edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
mmik wrote:

In the case of Games Workshop... yes. I have yet to pay full price for anything from GW, much less what they charge on their website+sh.

I'm not sure why this is, but the "friendly/favorite local game stores" in my town give discounts to customers who buy GW stuff. It has something to do with how GW stuff is distributed. I always buy GW at my flgs. (which is a good thing)

edit===
check that... i paid $99 for Space Hulk (third edition)

GW policies are off topic, but I think they require local stores that want to carry any of their products to buy a minimum amount each month. Anything above what they actually wanted to buy just takes space, so I'm not surprised stores would unload it for anything at cost or higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you browse the Mini painters' guild's forum. There's already several threads with info for beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to disagree with the folks who have suggested getting some cheap army men or the bag o'zombies. The quality of the sculpt makes a huge difference in how it looks painted. Sure, a great painter can turn a cheapo, crappy sculpt into a work of art. But you're not a great painter yet, you're a beginner. Unless you're a highly skilled painter, a cheap, crappy sculpt is always going to look like a cheap crappy sculpt no matter how you paint it.

For $10-$15 you can get a couple nice miniatures in whatever theme interests you (sci-fi, fantasy, whatever).
I like the Reaper Chronoscope line myself but there are tons of others. Some game stores even have bins of minis on clearance for just a few bucks a piece.

You'll be surprised when you see how good even a beginner-level paintjob looks if the miniature itself is a nice sculpt. Good sculpts make the painter's job easy, because washes and dry-brushing will bring out the details. To make a crappy sculpt look good you have to paint in all sorts of details that aren't really there.

Get yourself a nice miniature. It's not expensive if you're only buying one or two and you'll be proud of the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Get some figures. Doesn't matter which ones.

Clean them with soap and water. ESPECIALLY if plastic.

Use a primer that matches the majority of what 'color' the figure is going to be. If you're doing German WWII infantry, for instance, get a spray primer that looks Feldgrau.

Get a good brush. Paint the other colors. Try and do about 4 other colors, aside from the main color that you primed. If you make a mistake, don't worry. Let the paint dry, and paint over your mistake.

Then- here's the key- get either some GW Magic Wash, or the The Army Painter Magic Dip.

If you use the wash, dip your brush lightly in the wash, and spread it all over the figure. The wash will settle into the crevices. Be careful- its a bit of a trick to do it consistently.

OR, do it the easy way. Dip the figure in Army Painter dip, flick off the excess, let dry overnight.

Spray varnish a matte sealer over the figures.

You're done!

If you do things in batches, you'll find out that its pretty quick and easy. They won't win you any painting awards, but they'll look good.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mmik mmikleson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
What kind of brush do I need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
mmik wrote:

I would look at a big box art supply store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

You are looking to pay no more than $2 a brush. Expensive brushes are usually better quality, but especially for a beginner, and inexpensive pack with several different sizes is what you are after. Anything cheaper is probably a really krappy brush, and will not give you good results.

I would start with the following sizes: 1, 0, 00 and 000. While you are there, pick up some acryllic paints. You can probably pick them up for about $1 a bottle. I would get the "basic" colors. White, Black, Silver, Gold, Red, Dk. Blue, Light Blue, Dk.Green, Light Green, Yellow, Orange, Gray, Medium brown and Dk. Brown. This should give you a basis for many good color combinations, and you can experiment with mixing your own colors.

Finally, pick up Flat White spraypaint. I prefer painting over white primer versus black. And, remember a can of Matte Finish - helps protect your handiwork!

You can purchase GW inks, or make your own "wash" using clear acrylic floor wax, water and paint. about half water to floor wax, and mix in paint to the desired thickness. You can premix a bottle of "wash water" and you might also make a bottle or two of Black and Brown washes. These are the washes you will use on almost every figure.

Green army men are not a bad place to start. If you really mess up, throw them in a jar of brake fluid for a couple of days, then you can scrub off any remaining paint with a toothbrush. BTW, this works on any figures, including metals.

Hope that gives you ideas you can use. Painting is a nice relaxing past time, and having the basic tools will make the experience even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

* Science fiction armored marines and vehicles: Easy to paint. No annoying faces or clothing folds to deal with.

* Skeletons: Basecoat black. Good to learn drybrushing.

Also check the games section of Toys R Us. You might find a game with a crapload of miniatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmik wrote:
Hm... question... Say I mess up big time painting, or just don't like the way it turned out; is there an easy way to repaint plastic, ceramic, or metal figurines? Or are they all pretty much scrap if you mess up?
Leave to soak for a few days in Simple Green, undiluted, then scrub with toothbrush under running water.

You'll find a lot of advice saying to do the same but with Pin Sol. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Especially on plastic figs, but whether plastic or metal, it will take months and months and MONTHS for the smell to go away (if ever). (note: I also STRONGLY disagree with the previous advice to use brake fluid!)

Also, as far as getting cheap minis, especially cheap(ish) GW minis, get in contact with TheWarStore (thewarstore.com). They often sell BitBags, which are big ziplocks filled (STUFFED!) with figs still on sprue but out of box. I have a huge (10lb) supply of these for kitbashing and practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan MacDonald

Glendale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it qualifies as cheap, but reaper sells kits with 2 figures and some paints and brushes.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/LearnToPaintKits/sku-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
mmik wrote:

A good synthetic brush will work. I'd get one with a smaller tip- 10/0 or 20/0. Really, you should get a set of brushes. Reaper has a good kit for like $15. The Army Painter also a collection of brushes for about the same price.

Don't worry about a Sable brush until you're more practiced. You're probably going to give these brushes some hell, so no point in spending $20 on a really good detail brush.

As for paint-
I forgot to mention.

Use Water Based Acryillics!!!!

Either go with Vallejo, or Reaper, or if you have to, Citadel. I prefer Vallejo- they come in little eyedropper bottles, allowing me to squeeze just the amount of paint I want onto my pallet. I've also NEVER had a bottle dry up and go bad on me.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, the easy way to get figs. Bucket of soldiers. If you want something more to the usual game scales, look for airfix or esci figs (1/72 scale,) they are about an inch tall and good for practice.

Do you have any Ameritrash games? A lot of us learned to paint on A&A, Shogun, or Buck Rodgers.

It's easy to find little soldiers, I helped a friend move years ago and have a pile of old ral partha figs I offer to friend who want to learn to paint with me.

Also ask the local game store if they have some old minis they want to offload, they might have a junk bin of figs they sell cheap because they have sat on the shelf for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to pay the shipping, I have a couple sets of Warmachine starters that you can kick around on. One is a mostly painted set, but the other has hardly been touched.

You can save yourself come cash on a bucket of expensive paints by just buying five base colors and mixing your own shades and tints. Blue, Yellow, Red, Black, White. Google a color wheel if you're not sure how to mix colors. Give that a go and see if you are likely to stick with it before investing more.

Also: regarding the armor wash - it's great stuff, but somewhere around here I have a recipe for making your own that is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a specialty wash that is essentially the same thing.

For primer, I have had pretty good results with spray on Dupli-color primer found at my local auto parts store. It's inexpensive, comes out in a nice even and flay spray, and goes on in a very fine mist that does not clog up the details in the model details if you take your time and apply it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.