Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted my first game (set of games, really) here on BGG. It's called SIX D SIX, and it's a set of six abstract strategy games that use dice for their components. (The rules are all online, for the curious.) One of the games also uses a chess board, the others mostly use the dice themselves as the gameboard.

I'm looking for someone to do box art for a prototype that I might then shop around to publishers, or maybe even sell a few copies of myself (if I can source the dice and boxes cheaply).

I cannot pay you, (although I'd be happy to work out something for the remote chance where I actually do end up using the art to self-publish), but I do have some prototype sets of dice laying around, and I'd be happy to send you one if I end up using your art... I know that's peanuts, so I'm mostly just hoping this strikes someone's fancy.

Art on abstract games is notoriously bad, so if you have any great ideas, (even if you don't have the time/inclination to make them), I'd love to hear them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first idea that game to mind was doing some kind of homage/parody of this classic cover, but with piles of dice:
http://i2.listal.com/image/693879/600full-pinball-constructi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea!

What would be floating between the hands? Would be cool if it were some kind of interesting 3D shape made of dice. Dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grid wrote:
What would be floating between the hands?

Dunno. Maybe move the hands closer together and have a fountain of dice pouring down onto/bouncing off of the hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was supplied with the art elements, I could photoshop that up in an hour or so.
The trick would be getting hi-res photos of exactly what we needed.
www.findphil.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out your portfolio, Phil, I really liked the Racing can be Murder book cover!

Another idea I had was a brain shaped out of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
If I was supplied with the art elements, I could photoshop that up in an hour or so.

Actually I envisioned it as being CGI rendered by http://www.indigorenderer.com, http://www.maxwellrender.com, or http://www.luxrender.net .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with Bryce some back in the day. Too bad that was on windows, and I only have a mac now.

Here's another thought... black and white dice in an 8x8 grid laid out like a chessboard. I guess that might be misleading because the game only comes with enough black dice for that, not white ones, but it could be a cool place to start... hmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
The first idea that game to mind was doing some kind of homage/parody of this classic cover, but with piles of dice:
http://i2.listal.com/image/693879/600full-pinball-constructi...

I think what I like most about this is the potential for the grid on the ground (stretching to infinity) to be made of dice. Heck, the rest of it could be exactly the same as far as I'm concerned. I do think (if we went this route), a computer render (with nice reflection on the orb) would probably look best... although what do I know? (I'm no artist!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Goofing around in Blender.
Haven't struck upon a good way to randomize the dice. Currently they're all same-face-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Antonishen
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured I'd jump in on this.

Similar to Alan's render...

-Rob A>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How'd you do the randomness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Antonishen
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used POVRay not Blender, so it was trivial as the scene was "programmed" not modeled.

-Rob A>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rob,

This is AWESOME. I'll be sending you a geekmail shortly, but I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time.

-grid

ffaat wrote:
Figured I'd jump in on this.

Similar to Alan's render...

-Rob A>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.