Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why are not everyone playing Monopoly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Monopoly is the ultimate boardgame. The games last long enough to satisfy all your gaming needs, unlike certain games which are so short that the leave you "hungry". Monopoly also has the excellent player elimination mechanic, so you are out of the game when you do not have a real chance to win, not to mention various house rules, which keep the game fresh for a long time.

So why are you not playing Monopoly?
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it like Risk?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I have a single-digit IQ.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Because "everyone are playing" Magic instead?

Why are not everyone playing Magic?

Seriously, what's up with these "why are not everyone playing" threads?

Is it troll season?



15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
best question ever?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Seriously, what's up with these "why are not everyone playing" threads?


This one is a joke off of the other one, which was an enthusiastic Magic player that does not speak English as a primary language.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too expensive. In order to have a complete game, you need to buy all the themes and variants because, if you don't buy everything, playing it is pointless. How can you build hotels in San Francisco edition when you know someone out there is playing the Simpsons one? What if you go to a store hoping to play with your old Monopoly board and all the nerdy kids laugh at you for not having the electronic auction one? And what about the children? Won't somebody please THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!???
43 
 Thumb up
1.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:

So why are you not playing Monopoly?


Bicoose me pl'yn Stoone Age ... mb
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
marble911 wrote:
Is it troll season?


It's Duck Season!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:

It's Duck Season!


It's Wabbit season!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:
Monopoly is the ultimate boardgame. The games last long enough to satisfy all your gaming needs, unlike certain games which are so short that the leave you "hungry". Monopoly also has the excellent player elimination mechanic, so you are out of the game when you do not have a real chance to win, not to mention various house rules, which keep the game fresh for a long time.

So why are you not playing Monopoly?


Good one, Aldie! laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't spend an unlimited amount of cash to build a better deck than you and beat you like a rented mule.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would I play a shirt?
22 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I actually have played Monopoly recently. My boy wanted to play a game and for some reason he chose this. We have played Monopoly Jr before but he's above that now. I submitted but only under condition that any nonpurchased items go up for auction, and that we didn't do the free-money-Free-Parking rule. The game still went way too long. I was at least pushing to play Hotels where we could build big hotels or Trump where we could do a lot more negotiating. At least we played a 'traditional' version, not one of the themed tie-ins (although I do actually have 2 of them - one from my university [my dorm is Baltic Avenue] and one from my hometown).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesjunkie wrote:
skelebone wrote:

It's Duck Season!


It's Wabbit season!


Duck season!


10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play this monopoly
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Betote wrote:
It's too expensive. In order to have a complete game, you need to buy all the themes and variants because, if you don't buy everything, playing it is pointless. How can you build hotels in San Francisco edition when you know someone out there is playing the Simpsons one? What if you go to a store hoping to play with your old Monopoly board and all the nerdy kids laugh at you for not having the electronic auction one? And what about the children? Won't somebody please THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!???


Just like Magic!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Sadly I actually have played Monopoly recently. My boy wanted to play a game and for some reason he chose this.

I know a humor thread is the wrong place for me to get serious, but this touches a nerve.

There's nothing sad about playing a game with your children, even if it's a game you've grown tired of ages ago. They haven't experienced the iconic games yet, and what would be sad in my view is if we taught them to be snobs about games they've never tried for themselves. I know I had fun playing Monopoly as a child, and even if I'm more interested in other games now, I'll tackle it with good spirit should my grandchildren express interest.

I'll show them other games too, of course, but I'll make every effort to pay attention to what they like, rather than attempt to mold them to accept my preferences. I've spent as much time playing Barbie dolls with my four year old granddaughter as I have playing games. That's a long stretch from what I'd choose if left to my own devices, but it's been time well spent. If I want her to take an interest in my world, it's only fair that I show interest in hers.
59 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
hezkezl wrote:
Why would I play a shirt?


Haha! This one took me a minute to remember.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPHERE, Well said! Sometimes some here on the geek think that only the newest games merit play.

Actually if you talk to most mothers and fathers who have no idea that the GEEK exists, Monopoly is a fine game to play with their kids on a rainy day or for that matter, at any other time that their kids want to play a game. Spending quality time with your children should come first and if Monopoly is what it takes to get that time together then so be it! Monopoly it is!!!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife wrote:
SPHERE, Well said! Sometimes some here on the geek think that only the newest games merit play.

Actually if you talk to most mothers and fathers who have no idea that the GEEK exists, Monopoly is a fine game to play with their kids on a rainy day or for that matter, at any other time that their kids want to play a game. Spending quality time with your children should come first and if Monopoly is what it takes to get that time together then so be it! Monopoly it is!!!!


Monopoly is what parents play with their kids to prevent them from becoming a geek

Every other game, even the most innocent Eurogames - like Settlers - will ultimately condamn ones kids to eternal geekdomsauron

Ciao

Martin
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mleaman wrote:
gamesjunkie wrote:
skelebone wrote:

It's Duck Season!


It's Wabbit season!


Duck season!




It's baseball season.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:

So why are you not playing Monopoly?


Because it can land you in jail.

The fingerprints on a Monopoly set were what got these bad people caught:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Train_Robbery_of_1963
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Monopoly on the latest game convention I went to. Four-player game, took 45 minutes or something and was pretty tense. I was second out of the game and the winner was decided in like 10 minutes after I was out. Played correctly, Monopoly is quick and provided you don't hate dice rolling per se, it's actually fun.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the totally awesome movie and McDonald's promotional tie ins.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.