Subject: Hello? Any NON-ameritrash deck-builders on the horizon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Ashton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the balance of new deck building games released following Dominion have been "ameritrash" themes. In fact, until the recent release of A Few Acres of Snow, I'm not aware of any other deck-builders that haven't fit into the Ameritrash category since Dominion. If there have been, please share.

Seems like the current score is about 9...
-Thunderstone
-Ascension
-Heroes of Graxia
-Puzzle Strike
-Quarriors
-Nightfall
-Rune Age
-Resident Evil
-Arctic Scavengers

to 2...
-Dominion
-A Few Acres of Snow

We really enjoy the mechanic but have been suprised that there haven't been more offerings catering to the "euro" crowd.

Are there any other "real world" deck-builders on the horizon? IF so, any idea on timeframe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Dominion somewhat Ameri-trashy? The Alchemy expansion certainly is. And considering that the mechanic was inspired by Magic: The Gathering, I'm not surprised by the abundance of fantasy themes.

Pergamemnon is a war-themed game.

Also, 7 Islands is about pirates - at quick glance, it doesn't seem to have any magic or supernatural elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
HighVolumeLP wrote:
So far, the balance of new deck building games released following Dominion have been "ameritrash" themes.

Puzzle Strike's theme is Japanese, not American.

And I'm not sure I can deny the Euro-ness of a game with icon-and-game-mechanics driven play pieces like the following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
The idea that somehow there is are Euro "Themes" just makes my black heart Cackle with Evil Glee!

I thought that the entire point WAS the mechanism- that theme wasn't that important. What was more important was that it was 'good game' (ie, mechanic driven).

So the idea that somehow there are now people clamoring for 'euro-themes' just underscores the extent to which so many people don't really understand the arguments that underpin this site.

MMMMMmmmm. Sweet, sweet Irony.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The idea that somehow there is are Euro "Themes" just makes my black heart Cackle with Evil Glee!

I thought that the entire point WAS the mechanism- that theme wasn't that important. What was more important was that it was 'good game' (ie, mechanic driven).

So the idea that somehow there are now people clamoring for 'euro-themes' just underscores the extent to which so many people don't really understand the arguments that underpin this site.

Darilian

Agreed. Theme alone does not an ameritrash make. Despite its theme, Thunderstone is as Euro as Dominion. See also, Chaos in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well not quite a deck building game but Glory To Rome fits the bill. Tanto Cuore certainly is not ameritrash. In fact there are about ten Japanese based deck building games (rather hard to get them except direct from the manufacture) that are not ameritrash.

By the way, I am not sure you can categorize a deck building game as "ameritrash"...I mean you have and certainly I think you could argue some are more likely to appeal to the folks at Fortress Ameritrash but since there are no dice, chrome, plastic figs, and lavish productions....wait...don't want to start a debate on what makes an Ameritrash game....lol I am sure there are more coming in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HighVolumeLP wrote:
So far, the balance of new deck building games released following Dominion have been "ameritrash" themes.

-Thunderstone
A medieval setting with economic development and some supernatural elements.
VS
-Dominion

Quote:
Are there any other "real world" deck-builders on the horizon? IF so, any idea on timeframe?

Oh? Is THAT what makes something "euro" for you? A "real world" setting?
You have no idea what euro even means, then.

Dominion is not real world. Right from the outset you had the Witch, casting supernatural curses on players. Then you had Alchemy, which is as unrealistic as possible.

By your own determinants, Dominion is NOT a euro.

You want an example of a euro that's NOT real-world based?
Cave Troll is a great start.
So is Dungeon Twister.
Race for the Galaxy. Small World. Dungeon Lords.

But for you, I would recommend Tanto Cuore as a "euro theme" deckbuilding game. Completely "real world"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ashton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

palmerkun wrote:
HighVolumeLP wrote:

-Thunderstone
VS
-Dominion

Quote:

Oh? Is THAT what makes something "euro" for you? A "real world" setting?
You have no idea what euro even means, then.

Dominion is not real world. Right from the outset you had the Witch, casting supernatural curses on players. Then you had Alchemy, which is as unrealistic as possible.

By your own determinants, Dominion is NOT a euro.

You want an example of a euro that's NOT real-world based?
Cave Troll is a great start.
So is Dungeon Twister.
Race for the Galaxy. Small World. Dungeon Lords.

But for you, I would recommend Tanto Cuore as a "euro theme" deckbuilding game. Completely "real world"

Oh, give me a break - this thread isn't some philosophical argument about what constitutes a "theme." Thanks for the irrelevant drive-by commentary.

Let me re-phrase it simply so you don't get your panties in a twist... theme, in this thread refers to "topic, subject-matter, etc..." The question posed was really pretty basic with no intention to invoke the tired old euro vs. ameritrash debate.snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HighVolumeLP wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

Oh, give me a break - this thread isn't a some philosophical argument about what constitutes a "theme." Thanks for your irrelevant commentary.

Let me re-phrase it simply so you don't get your shorts in a twist... topic, theme, subject, etc...

Fair enough. But why not explain what themes interest you then or what themes don't? For me, the line between an Ameri-trash theme and Euro-theme is somewhat fuzzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it's not a game about clamoring for the favor of some European monarch in medieval times, it's just not a worthwhile game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Like these classic Euros:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.